• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospital stay

ladiedevilish

I go into L&D on 29th june and was wondering what to expect?
I am nervous as going to be on my own as my mum has to take my son school.
I go in on morning of surgery and then i get hooked up to sliding scale for diabetes and then into surgery but after the surgery what happens?
Thanks sorry for the ramble

Hi

I don't know anything about L&D but wanted to wish you good luck x

as you're a diabetic you'll be one of the first in surgery .............i'm in on the 30th of august for my op and a diabetic too in at 9.00 op by 11 i was told

You should be first on the list if you are diabetic because of the pre op fasting affecting your blood sugar. Once you have been through recovery they will encourage you to drink water. If you are on tablets, you can ask your GP for powder, I took metformin powder, or if you are on insulin they will get you to inject I would think. I was pooing myself before the op but on the day I was surprisingly calm because I just wanted to get it over and done. I can't comment on L & D though. Bournemouth took good care of me no problem. They will monitor you closely every 4 hours I guess, and you always have your alarm buzzer if you feel a bit rough. If you are having keyhole, I can tell you I had virtually no pain at all, just a bit of pulling inside from the stitches, and the entry wounds were sore, but they were stuck together with surgical superglue. In Bournemouth they put in compression pads on your legs to make your blood circulate, and I had to do my own warfarin injections there and continue at home. It is a very emotional journey we have taken, but the end result is what you must focus on. I wish you all the best, any questions please don't hesitate to ask, if there is a local support group I would suggest going to a meeting asap they will answer all your questions, if they are anything like mne here. God Bless. Bob. xx

on a couple of my prior ops i was brought in the night before .........but not on this one ..... i was told as i'm only 5 minutes down the road theres no need

lol this was a ramble??? you know not of what you speak lol...
i go in on 29th and also have diabetes. i was told today to arrive at 11.30 and i would have op at 1.30 i can eat/drink up to 6am and they will be monitoring bloods before op and every day for week or so after

the sliding scale is an insulin pump like a drip ............the last time i stayed overnight at the hospital the pumps alarm kept going off every 5 minutes i never got to sleep that night :cry:

insulin users get in quicker ;)

Back