• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol

shame that you feel the need to do this so early on after the good work of your surgery!

I don't think its a shame - I think its irresponsible and selfish!

If you don't want to get healthy then don't have the surgery and allow someone else have it instead - someone who will stick to the pre-op diet/post-op diet and get healthy instead of throwing it in the face of the surgeons and tax payers who are trying to help you.

It's only been weeks since your surgery...
I can't even touch anything slighty fizzy as it's so uncomfortable afterwards,and I'm 15 months post op.

you may say that its only a few empty calories and that you have lost 2 stone since jan... well done on that... but you will lose weight for the first 6 months... after that... we have to put in the hard work.. counting the calories, keeping up the fluids, upping he protein.. then maintaining is where the hard work starts.. and im sure Karlos can tell you a thing or two about that.
I think occasionally to go out, let your hair down and have a few drinks... fine... but on a regular basis just to watch the footy.. you will and could possible regret that, once we start maintaining... putting the weight back will take no effort xx

I suppose I am lucky in that I cannot stand the taste of alcohol, I think it's something to do with the massive amount I used to consume many many years ago when I was a teenager, trouble is now I cannot drink fizzy all I have to look forward to when I go out is over priced water or fruit juice.

Paul

I think for people it don't effect anymore it's pointless having it.

If you have some now and again and get merry, seems reasonable. But drinking regularly and it feeling like pop is beyond my comprehension (not hard at present lol)

I am too tight fisted and worried the useless drink would screw up my bypass.

Ahhh the dreaded alcohol!

Unfortunately most of us enjoy a wine or a beer or a keg in the past!

I had my op in September I'm not really a big drinker tbh never had been.

Pre op I would drink if I go out about 4 halfs of lager and lime and that would get me merry as I can't drink out of pint glasses don't think it's lady like lol!

I had my first drink about 10 weeks in I managed 2 vodka and oranges with loads of ice and I was drinking plenty of water in between, so I didn't really get drunk nor over the Christmas!

As I have gone on I still drink less I find vodka and orange sickly so I have tried vodka lime and soda and plenty of ice it's nice and refreshing!

Maybe a bit easy to go down but I only manage about 3 or 4 a night!

Although last Friday I did have a few glasses of champagne and about 3 glasses of vodka!

And that is the 1st time I have been drunk I mean omg I feel like death next day drunk, will not be doing that again Hangover from hell!

Anyway my point is drink is I still enjoy myself but drink in moderation !

I have to date lost 8st 5lb

My problem is me and I'm my decision maker so the choices I make affect me!

So if that means less drinking is going to keep me on track so be it!!

Anyways happy losing peeps

Joanne xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

you may say that its only a few empty calories and that you have lost 2 stone since jan... well done on that... but you will lose weight for the first 6 months... after that... we have to put in the hard work.. counting the calories, keeping up the fluids, upping he protein.. then maintaining is where the hard work starts.. and im sure Karlos can tell you a thing or two about that.
I think occasionally to go out, let your hair down and have a few drinks... fine... but on a regular basis just to watch the footy.. you will and could possible regret that, once we start maintaining... putting the weight back will take no effort xx

Karlos sounds super and very knowledgeable.

Let me put things into perspective.

Karlos calculates there are 660 calories in my drinks. I'm no mathematician but lets have a look at whats really happening and not just isolate the empty calories.

What hasnt been accounted for is the following...

My local pub is a mile and a half away. I only drink when Liverpool are on the TV. I don't drink any other time.
If I'm lucky Liverpool may be on twice a month. sometimes 3 sometimes once and through the summer not at all. Lets average it at twice a month.

I walk the 3 miles to the pub and back twice a month. Thats 6 miles walking. If its cold and windy i'tll be a brisk walk. I remain in the pub for 4 hours meaning 8 hours in a month. I stand for 8 hours I walk around chatting. I use extra calories that I woldnt otherwise use and I get exercise I wouldnt otherwise get. The benefits of which are obvious.

So back to the calories ( which I'll double to keep to a monthly basis ) They stand at 1320 extra calories a month.
Take away from that 1320 the following:

Walking 6 miles per month or 2 hours walking.

A man of my build and height uses around 6 calories per minute walking. 6 cals x 120 mins =
720 calories used. which leaves an extra 600 Calories to account for.

Standing rather than sitting for 8 hours:
According to the first website I found, the averange 190 lb man uses 86 calories to sit in a chair per hour so siting in the house Id have used 86x8 calories= 688 but I spent those 8 hours standing, milling around etc, which uses 252 calories per hour. ( according etc) a grand total of 252x8 =2016 take away from this the 688 i'd have used sitting, and the total is 1328 calories used standing around for 8 hours.

So we have...720 calories used walking 6 miles per month
we have 1328 calories used standing around for 8 hours per month.

Calories used per month walking down to the pub 2x 4 hours per month

We have 1320 " empty " calorie intake per month

2048 minus 1320

leaves 720 MORE calories used by going for a drink than if I sat in the house without eating for the 8 hours.

I get good exercise, I have benefits of a social life. It helps with stress and I have a chance to meet people who boost my confidence with comments about my weight loss how well I look etc.

The extra exercise also helps with my diabetic bloods as it increases my insulin sensitivity as well as the anaerobic effect on my cardio-vascular system.
I think going for a few drinks in moderation when the football is beneficial in lots of ways.

Empty calories are irrelevant as I use more than I take in.

Last edited:
Hi I've got to say I don't intend to ever drink again That is a personal thing as I am greedy, i can quire easily not dink when im
Out but when i do i do lol I am an all or nothing person with everything in my life so for me it's going to be a nothing , pre op I could quite easily drink 10 pints of lager and lime and more followed by a takeaway and pork scratchings and nuts while I'm out so although I see that the occasional drink for some would be beneficial as some can feel less sociable and cause depression in the long run I however have gone for years being te non drinker and on many occasions been the sober one so I don't think I will be bothered if I do feel the want to drink then it would be a vodka and lime or orange as I only like lager or bud and I've sickened mysel with vodka in my younger years it would definatly only be the one and I think it would prob be to keep others happy lol I have found other people struggle to see why I choose not to drink especially when we go camping and they are all sat drinking I can't lol Iam allowed after 4 months but I have told everyone a year to shut them up lol

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I don't think its a shame - I think its irresponsible and selfish!

If you don't want to get healthy then don't have the surgery and allow someone else have it instead - someone who will stick to the pre-op diet/post-op diet and get healthy instead of throwing it in the face of the surgeons and tax payers who are trying to help you.

I can almost hear 'Land of hope and glory' playing in the background. I'm assuming your uninformed outburst is directed toward me?

Let me take you into my confidence Newcy.....

In my case I'm self funded. That is - I paid for my operation out of my own pocket. I didn't ask the NHS for anything. I didn't ask the taxpayer to contribute to my weight loss costs nor do I expect the taxpayer to have an opinion how I spend my money or how I conduct myself after the operation.

I owe no-one - least of all the NHS or the tax payer anything. I took control of my own health as is my responsibility - as is all of own own responsibilities.

If you read my post above you'll see I'm actually 700+ calories up on the Football drinkypoos deal and thats without the benefits of the exercise it entails.

I can tolerate a few drinks now and then. I work hard for a living I pay taxes and don't draw any benefits whatsoever. I paid for the op I'm paying for the drinks - not you or the taxpayer or anyone else. Me.

What is a shame and irresponsible is bulldozing in with your ill informed, outburst ( You only had to glance to the left to see I was self funded :sigh: You posted your outburst with absolutely no information to validate your claims that ...

...'you don't want to get healthy'...'allow someone else have it instead' ....' throwing it in the face of the surgeons and tax payers who are trying to help you'.

I don't know! Some peoples land of hope and glory!!!!!

Here here Carberello! I agree with you! Although personally I haven't had any yet, but I know with summer coming I will have a couple. Will just work hard & get those empty calories off. Compared to what I used to eat & drink I've dramatically changed I swim, gym, Zumba 5 times a week & walk everywhere so I'm not going to worry about the odd bit of alcohol I have, I will never consume as much as I did in the past.

As for the comments on wasting tax payers money that's harsh! I pay my tax & national insurance. There's millions of people in the country that claim benefits for no reason or fiddle the system there wasting tax payers money. I understand it if you were drinking every day, eating crap etc but we are talking a couple of beers when the footie is on, come on people I don't let my bypass rule my life I'm thankful it's in place & will always be aware of it & look after myself but I spent the last god knows how long worrying, hiding in my house etc now I'm going to enjoy myself. But I guess thats my view and each to there own!

So Mr Carberello enjoy ya beers & although I disagree with your choice of footie team (I'm a man united fan) enjoy ya footie. Clo x x

Here here Carberello! I agree with you! Although personally I haven't had any yet, but I know with summer coming I will have a couple. Will just work hard & get those empty calories off. Compared to what I used to eat & drink I've dramatically changed I swim, gym, Zumba 5 times a week & walk everywhere so I'm not going to worry about the odd bit of alcohol I have, I will never consume as much as I did in the past.

As for the comments on wasting tax payers money that's harsh! I pay my tax & national insurance. There's millions of people in the country that claim benefits for no reason or fiddle the system there wasting tax payers money. I understand it if you were drinking every day, eating crap etc but we are talking a couple of beers when the footie is on, come on people I don't let my bypass rule my life I'm thankful it's in place & will always be aware of it & look after myself but I spent the last god knows how long worrying, hiding in my house etc now I'm going to enjoy myself. But I guess thats my view and each to there own!

So Mr Carberello enjoy ya beers & although I disagree with your choice of footie team (I'm a man united fan) enjoy ya footie. Clo x x

Thanks Clo I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. I don't begrudge anyone having the op - private or NHS. I do take offence at people lecturing me on something they know nothing about me or my life - or my habits and intentions.

I couldnt have drank anymore than I did on Saturday anyway lol. It began backing up through my open ended stomach and I was as full as the Anfield trophy room! so I guess I know my limit.

As I'm a Liverpool supporter you probably understand why I have a drink when they play!!!!

Now...Man who?

The tax payer comment was generic due to the number of people who have had the surgery on the NHS but then eat and drink stuff they shouldn't post-op so I apologise for any offence caused to those privately funded.

I feel exactly the same in that we should be entitled to the surgery on the NHS as there are plenty of people who milk the benefits system etc but with that should come some social responsibility.

Once we have achieved goal weight I have no objection to a couple of drinks now and again but at 6 weeks post-op you are ruining your chances of success, potentially throwing away £1,000s of your own or NHS money and mocking the whole process.

I'm fat for a reason and I have to take responsibility for that - if I don't change now then I never will so any post-op 'drinkypoos' will be limited and only once I have earned it!

The tax payer comment was generic due to the number of people who have had the surgery on the NHS but then eat and drink stuff they shouldn't post-op so I apologise for any offence caused to those privately funded.

I feel exactly the same in that we should be entitled to the surgery on the NHS as there are plenty of people who milk the benefits system etc but with that should come some social responsibility.

Once we have achieved goal weight I have no objection to a couple of drinks now and again but at 6 weeks post-op you are ruining your chances of success, potentially throwing away £1,000s of your own or NHS money and mocking the whole process.

I'm fat for a reason and I have to take responsibility for that - if I don't change now then I never will so any post-op 'drinkypoos' will be limited and only once I have earned it!

I couldn't agree more about the entitlement to have surgery on the NHS. As an overweight person I understand that obesity is a disease and not something brought on by greed or over eating for the sake of it. Its not as easy -as some numpties think -to just 'go on a diet' and as such surgery is a life saver and just as valid as say cancer or heart surgery, so should be available to anyone who has tried other methods.

As for "potentially throwing away £1000's of my own money" did you not read the earlier post pointing out that Im actually 700 calories better off when everything is taken into account? Its not a scam or a swizz or clever accounting - its an actual 700 calorie benefit.

By that measure then surely you should be criticising yourself and those people - however funded who do not walk down the pub therefore not using 700 calories more than you would sitting at home misguidedly fretting about what others are doing! Heh .

Looking at the wider picture is sometimes a good idea. I can't make the calorific intake V calorific expenditure any clearer! Minus 700 calories!

How using up 700 calories more is "mocking the whole process" is beyond me.

Anyway I don't think I want to get into a puerile spitting contest over what I do occasionally and what you misguidedly think about it, so I'll leave it there if I may.

I
Anyway I don't think I want to get into a puerile spitting contest over what I do occasionally and what you misguidedly think about it, so I'll leave it there if I may.

I would appreciate it if we all left it there too. We are all adults and we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Private or NHS we all have something to contribute and offer. We are a support forum after all :D

My advise would be don't touch it

I was always a binge drinker and only drank vodka n coke maybe 4 or 5 times a year, after bypass I changed, I didn't like the taste of vodka but I liked rose wine, before my bypass u could of offered me £5000 to drink a glass of wine n I would of turned u down.

I went from a glass of wine to a bottle and before I knew it I was drinking upto 3 bottles a night :( and could become very aggressive lucky for me I was able l speak to my team and friends about this, I have been checked for liver n kidney failure and I am trying to cut the wine down but it's so hard. My team were not surprised when I told them about the amount or what I was drinking, I fact they said that alcohol was the common thing a bypass patient goes to but also that it is 9 times out of 10 will be rose wine. All my bypass friends drink rose wine but the doctors just don't no what it is in it that's makes us turn to it.

I cannot explain it either all I no is I can be drinking and one minute I will be fine and more or less sober and within seconds I can go to being that drunk I don't no where I am, it hits u fast and hard so please please be careful as I would hate anyone to go through what I am at the moment, also I no they say wine is empty calories but I can loose weight when I drink and I think that was why I started to drink in the first place as I just wasn't happy with the weight I was loosing, drinking speeded it up :(

Blimey that chimes with me OK. Rose wine was right up there when I started to drink again after about 10 months I think, and like you say by the bottle. Gave it up about 9 months ago and it was hard but you can do it. Grit your teeth and know that it can be done and you will have masses of support here. I did tee total for a while but have returned to the occasional brandy and lemonade when out which is rare. One large one and I'm done. I wish I had never gone back to drinking didn't miss it when I was post op but missed the social idea of it, fool that I am I started again and as described above liked it a little too much. Why on earth is it that we think having a good time is synonymous with having a drink or 23?? Never figured that out.

Good luck I will be sending you positive thoughts

M

Thank you for both sharing (((hugs)))

That's a warning I will defo take on board. So much appreciated.

Really hope you are able to work past it madstaffy with your team xxx

Back