• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And my journey starts....

rose2022

Hi all, iv spent the last few weeks reading your posts/diaries etc and would like to thank you all for helping me take the life changing decision to have my band done! My husband is on board and im hoping to have my op in august with WLS group. Im 19 stone 11 and have been carrying "baby weight" for 5 years now... Time to deal with it! Any advice or comments on The Alexandra in Cheadle would be great! Look forward to getting to know you all better! :D

Well done! Wls group are fab, their aftercare has been great. Get ready to ride the roller coaster :)

I really cant wait jo and I have to say your success has been inspirational! I spoke to wendy on thursday so just waiting for michelle to ring to book my dates...! Only problem is im going to have to do my pre-op diet whilst on holiday in majorca all inclusive... Will power is going to be put to the test!!

Why not speak to your provider and see if you can do a low calorie / low carb pre.op diet. Fresh meat, fish and veggies/salad without dressing/sauces ... Bet there will be lots of those available... Not long now :D

rose2022 said:
I really cant wait jo and I have to say your success has been inspirational! I spoke to wendy on thursday so just waiting for michelle to ring to book my dates...! Only problem is im going to have to do my pre-op diet whilst on holiday in majorca all inclusive... Will power is going to be put to the test!!

Oh gosh that's gonna be tough! But good on you if you stick with that date you're aiming for, I think the old me would have put my op back a couple of weeks :)
Its not the milk diet with wls group but the chicken n salad/veg one so would be doable if you miss out the oils etc always drizzled over everything abroad. I struggled though and switched to milk diet by day 3, couldn't cope with salad without salad cream etc :)
Wendy is fab (she's just had a sleeve herself) and her hubby Steve is too....you see him everytime at clinic as he weighs and chats to you. if Michelle doesn't ring today then ring her for date, they are so busy and sometimes can take them 2/3 days to come back to you of non urgent
X

Thanks for that Jo, I think I will as I dont want to miss out! Im pretty determined to make this work so Im hoping being thrown in the deep end with my pre op diet will give the will power afterwards to. If you can do it on holiday you can do it anytime!! lol
Will definately speak to my WLS though as I am not a big fan of milk unless its in coffee or a milkshake... Need to have something that I can stick to...
I am so inspired by you guys on this forum, I was up at 4am thinking/worrying about my op so jumped straight on here and instantly felt better by how lovely everyone is. As supportive as my husband is he doesn't really know what its like to feel so miserable with your weight so its great to know I have like minded people to talk to!
Can you advise on recovery time, I work in a school so am off over the summer holidays but I start a new job in September (still in a school) but will be a bit more fast paced as its a promotion, I will be approx 3 wks post op by then, do you think this will be enough time to recover??

Well, I have got my date - August the 14th!!! Felt so exited and like I could conquer the world yeaterday after getting my date through but after a conversation with my mother in law this morning I feel like iv had my stuffing knocked out of me...
She thinks I am ruining my life and that I will never be able to eat again... she put "negative experiences of gastric bands" into google and is now convinced im doomed...
Understandably she is worried about my kids seeing me sick or struggling but this will be short term wont it?? I have tried to explain that I will be able to eat but just not the volume I am used to but her answer was "well just do that anyway and il weigh you every week"
I love her to bits but she has really has brought every doubt and fear I have over the whole process to the forefront again - bad timing as I need to pay my deposit today!!!???!!! It has really put me off telling people about the surgery now, I dont want to lie to people but I certainly don't want to be subject of debate and/or worry when this is such a huge decision for me anyway... :(

I do feel for you over this. I'm sure many of us have had similar discussions with loved ones. I remember how I felt when I started talking about it with my partner. I didn't want to talk about it until I had all the answers (or what I needed to know at that point) and then i was sort of ready to talk with my partner about it - but yes - the same sort of things your MiL said came up.

Always with the diet - and "let me help you with one more try of another diet" - but they can't keep up the support for diets like we can't keep to diets - even this weekend when I started my pre-op milk only diet I got a text from my partner the day I started it telling me she had booked a table at my fav restaurant for us to have supper there. This wasn't done with thought or planning on her part, but she had completely forgot that it started that day. I love her for the thought as misplaced as it was, but yes we will need to rethink how we do things after the procedure too. And I think you will need the support from your MiL after the op.

My partner was v.worried about my health post op and worried about what would happen etc.

I wonder if our loved ones are in a way, testing us when they say the things they do - testing to check if we have really thought this through, really understand what the issues are and I have to admit, however annoying it was/is (as I had made up my mind hadn't I, it is my body I know what I'm doing) I am thankful that my partner did as It made me question every step too - something I think we can miss especially if going private. I'm sure the majority of private providers do make sure we are okay physically for the procedure - but really how much time do they spend with us pre op to prepare us and ensure we are mentally prepared? An hour consultation in person or even on the phone? A link to their own Facebook or their web forum pages to talk to others who have had the procedure - where bad or doubts stories are often removed/quashed or just ignored.

I think we all need someone from time to time to put us in check - to ask us we sure we know what we are doing (some clever people here can do that to themselves).

So as annoying and upsetting as the comments etc are from your MiL, I'm sure they are for the "best reasons" - they just don't sound positive to us who are raring to go.

And, if you have any doubts what so ever, and want to give a diet with your MiL a chance, so be it - do it and maybe you both will learn something about each other and how hard this is and the provider will be there in 6 months time quite happy to start again with you (if needed) and take your deposit then.

Oh, other people - you'll work out how you want to deal with that when the time comes - tell some/tell all/tell no one - lots of options there.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Send your mil to me! Weigh day today, I've got 2lb to go and I've hit goal. You tell me why you'd be negative about that! I'll happily help you through if you need help support etc but it's there for the taking! I'm competing in a triathlon in 2 weeks.....the only triathlon I would have done before was edible..Chinese, kebab or pizza! My life is so different I could cry :)
As for time off 2 weeks is the norm so you'll be fine for the new term!! Omg! Omg! Omg! :) x

Haha Jo, thats really made me chuckle - "The Takeaway Triathalon"
I am feeling much better today and having spoken to my husband and reading your reply I am back on positive thoughts and feelings because this time next year I WILL BE THE NEW ME!!!!
I would love your support and guidance through this Jo, I can't get over how brilliant this forum is for support. I woke up at 4am the other morning overthinking things and panicking, the first thing I did was jump on here and felt instantly calmed by the fact im not the only one!! I am going to start my pre-op diet sooner rather then later so that its not so much of a shock to the system when im away, do you have any recipes or meal plans that I could follow or any pointers on where I can get them from. I know all my info will come from WLS but I would like to get a head start before it arrives....
6 weeks till op day...EEK!! lol xx

Need some advice guys... As im now on countdown to my band iv turned into a woman possessed and cant stop eating!!! I think iv put on half a stone or more this last 2 week but im too scared to get on the scales to check! Iv not had my pre-op diet info yet so as soon as I get it im going to start tailoring my diet but im so scared I end up popping at the rate im going! Has anyone else been through this and please tell me my brain will kick into gear soon.... :(
Currently sat in bed as its the furthest place away from the kitchen.... Lol :/

Wendy xx

Hi
I think its only normal to eat more as soon as we say diet.its like a beacon going off in our heads that says your going to starve me so feed me first. I had my band last wk and I was fine until I was in my room at the hospital waiting to go down to surgery then I kept having a bit of a panic but once I got down their I was fine.

Hi Wendy,
I had a last blow out of all the foods I would never be able to eat properly again, Chinese, pizza, Indian etc. and put on five pounds, but the sooner you can get your head in the right place the better, bulk up your meals with lots of veg to fill you up. Drink plenty of fluids too, all the usual advice, but once you are on the pre op and post op diets you need to aim for 2-3 litres of fluids a day which is actually quite tricky. And the fluids really do help curb your appetite slightly. I am no angel, I'm four weeks post op and today I could eat anything going! Luckily the fridge is look a bit bare so i cant. I'm not very good at advice like this or I wouldn't have needed a band :-o
Good luck with everything x

Thanks guys, I think my heads a bit muddled at the mo... Moving house end of july, hols 2nd of august and band on the 14th (which means preop whilst on hols...eek) and then start a new job in september! All in all its a bit chaotic but I really want to get my head in gear sooner rather than later!! Any websites I can look at to maybe get a head start on my preop diet? xx

Wendy xx

Well, I have got my date - August the 14th!!! Felt so exited and like I could conquer the world yeaterday after getting my date through but after a conversation with my mother in law this morning I feel like iv had my stuffing knocked out of me...
She thinks I am ruining my life and that I will never be able to eat again... she put "negative experiences of gastric bands" into google and is now convinced im doomed...
Understandably she is worried about my kids seeing me sick or struggling but this will be short term wont it?? I have tried to explain that I will be able to eat but just not the volume I am used to but her answer was "well just do that anyway and il weigh you every week"
I love her to bits but she has really has brought every doubt and fear I have over the whole process to the forefront again - bad timing as I need to pay my deposit today!!!???!!! It has really put me off telling people about the surgery now, I dont want to lie to people but I certainly don't want to be subject of debate and/or worry when this is such a huge decision for me anyway... :(

Hi there,
Similar thing happened to me, I went for my first consultation last year July I think? And was all guns blazing, came home read every negative thing that could happen and put myself off. Gave myself every excuse not to go through with it and decided no it was not for me! I will do it on my own (yeah right! Have not managed in 26 years of dieting but now I will:rolleyes:) anyway so New Year came and went, no weight loss, coming up to June and summer (I know we have not had one but...) and I said to myself I am never going to do this on my own and thought about gastric band again. Except this time I read every possitive thing I could, watched all the success stories on Youtube and though, why not me? Why can I not be a success at it too? And that was it, something snapped and I though, I am doing it and I am not changing my mind!
And here I am had my op last saturday and can tell you it was as easy as getting teeth out! Yes I am recovering and yesterday was a tough day but I feel so much better today. I have not had one gas pain and am so glad I went for it!
You could read every negative thing till the cows come home it is still a minority and it is still never going to be your personal experience because we are all different.
I have kids too and no one wants to put their life in danger unnecessarily, but I was putting my life in danger being 10 stone over weight and I know I would only have gotten bigger and it was effecting my kids lives even though I hate to admit it. It really effected everyone who loved me and we are all the same in that regard. No one wants to see their loved one suffering and I am sure your mother in law is coming from a genuine place of concern but you have to do what is right for you. I wish I had gone through with it last year I would be so farther down the line. But I had a great surgeon which was not the one I had picked last year so, fate and all that but, no one was a bigger wimp that me about it and all the negatives. But I can assure you hand on heart it was 80% easier than I ever thought it was going to be.
Listen to your heart, think positive and do what is right for YOU! Because at the end of the day, it is you who has to live with the band, not your mother in law, not anyone else and you are the one who as to live with being overweight also. It is your choice :)
Hope you come to the decision that is right for you :)

Last edited:
Thanks bella, I have talked to her but she still doesnt understand so have decided to keep it to myself for the time being! Im soooooooo exited about my op, I keep dreaming of outfits I want to buy and how I want to have my hair done etc, I know its a bit vain but it makes me so happy to think this time next year I could have acheived my dream.... Picking from the front of the rack instead of the back!! Lol
Iv had all my paperwork through today so am even more exited tonight! 1 month and 2 days to go.... Not that im counting...
Thanks for your support, its lovely to hear that im not alone! :) xx

Wendy xx

good luck, with op and the pre op diet on holls xxxx

Thank you! My heads in gear, I'm ready to change my life so will be on my best behavior! :)

Yes good luck Wendy. If you still need pre-op diet advice, do a search for Heartlands pre-op diets, as I posted the full 5 choices on a previous thread.

Thanks so much I will check it out. Iv had my preop diet through from wls and I'm going to contact my hotel to see if they can cater for me as iv no idea what they cook there foods in but will be packing a hell of a lot of slim fast and bovril too just incase! X

Back