• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mandies journey

Mandie37

Hi everyon

I thought I would start my diary today. I am due to have my band on Wednesday. Will be glad now when it's done and I can just get on with it and start my new life.

My emotions have been all over the place for the last couple of weeks leading up to surgery. I have been swinging from omg what am I doing to an excited I can't wait feeling.

I am scared and I won't lie and I am frightened of how my life is going to change in regards to being able to eat "normally" but much smaller portions.

My husband is being fantastic and is really helping with my roller coaster thoughts. To some people they may think I am choosing the easy way out but I guess it's something everybody has had to face when telling people. Most of my friends have been amazing because they know how unhappy I have been and how much I have tried. I have managed to lose a fair amount of weight twice but been unable to keep it off.

I am looking forward to not feeling unhappy every day when I open my wardrobe and see the dull boring clothes that I'm comfy in and that look horrendous. I just want to feel happy instead of miserable and the fat one on a night out.

I keep thinking this time next week I will be bandedandcantquite believe it. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks

Mandie

Well done & good luk. Keep posting.

Good luck....so exciting :D

Finally banded yesterday :))

Hi all

Well that's it I had my band fitted yesterday at the Alexandra hospital in cheadle. Just wanted to let you all know how I got on.

I was admitted at 715am and was told I was first on the list and would be going to theatre at 9am. Was still sat waiting at 1015 and told theatre
list had changed. Eventually went at 11am.

For all those fretting and worrying I just want to tell you it is absolutely fine. I was shaking whilst waiting for the anaesthetic but the staff were great. Do t remember going to sleep and just remember my name being called as I came round in recovery.

I could feel pain but nothing major to be fair. They gave me morphine which made me cope with it better. Out of the five incisions it is only the port one that feels uncomfortable. Unfortunately I felt very sick all day but it was wind and all I could do was burp but not bring anything up. I can honestly say it was nowhere near as bad as I had built it up to be in my mind.
I started to get the pain in my right shoulder late last night, but again it was manageable. Not pleasant and more like a gnawing pain deep within the bones if you know what I mean. The more I moved about the easier it got. Heat packs really helped to soothe it.

I slept relatively well apart from being aware when I turned over of the port but not "pain" just discomfort. I have been taken off the drip this morning and they are going to change the dressings to waterproof ones so I can shower. The injections are absolutely nothing and the needles are so tiny you can't feel them so please don't worry about them.

Anyway, I really do feel ok this morning. Very tired but to be expected I suppose. Can't wait to go home and get on with my new life which will make me a healthier, happier person.

Lots of love to you all

Mandie xxxxxx

Well done mandie and welcome to our elite banders club :) now rest up and take it easy x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

congratulations on your op

Well I got home this morning and am feeling ok. Pro ably feeling more bruised than anything else. Feeling hungry tho which has surprised me. Not had a fill during surgery but was told I would feel restriction straight away. Hard to say if I am as only having fluids/yoghurts/jelly which I presume wouldn't give restriction anyway.

Just taking it easy for a few days because after having a shower and moving about I'm feeling discomfort not pain but don't want to push it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Mandie x

Welcome Sam and mandie ... Good luck :)

Hi, Im new to this. I have just had my first fill today of 3mls. I had surgery on 02/05. I had no restriction until today. Is it normal to struggle with your first cup of tea or glass of water??

Kelly x

I didn't feel restriction till I had much more in my band. But it does happen, particularly with cold drinks. Someone will be around soon with some of their excellent guidance I am sure. Hope you are not struggling too much :D

@ kelly . struggle in what way ? you cannot keep fluids down or drink as much?

@ mandie . Welcome to the banders losers bench - Wishing you all the best and speedy recovery xxx

@bluediamond, when i have a cup of tea it feels like its stuck as its going down and it takes me forever to finish it. I thought fluids go down very easy and u dont really feel it??

Had my op last Wednesday

Hi

I had my band last Wednesday 6th June. I have found it pretty painless to be honest apart from the port wound. I constantly feel as tho I have a stitch on the left side under my ribs. Find it uncomfortable to lie on that side as can feel a pulling feeling.

I have an empty band at the moment and am having 3ml instead of 4 put in on 19th July. They have brought it forward a week as I am going in holiday to Florida on 27th and want to see how I am. When I have the first fill will it mean I won't be able to eat at all apart from mushy food while I am away?

I have also always been worried about being sick with the band. They told me at clinic before I had it done that you should never be sick with the band, but I read lots on here that people are often sick?

I am really pleased I have had it done. I know it's early days but feel its going to be a blessing for me. I am only 5 days post op and have lost 11lb since being admitted:)

Can anyo e advise me on how I willbe after the first fill and if they think it's worth waiting till I return from my holiday??

Thanks

Mandie

Hi

I had my band last Wednesday 6th June. I have found it pretty painless to be honest apart from the port wound. I constantly feel as tho I have a stitch on the left side under my ribs. Find it uncomfortable to lie on that side as can feel a pulling feeling.

I have an empty band at the moment and am having 3ml instead of 4 put in on 19th July. They have brought it forward a week as I am going in holiday to Florida on 27th and want to see how I am. When I have the first fill will it mean I won't be able to eat at all apart from mushy food while I am away?

Your provider will tell you what their regime is post fill. Mine was liquid only for the fill day + two, then sloppy for three, then back to normal food on day 7.

So you should be back to normal foods but as you are flying you might want to double check - flying can make the band tighter.

I have also always been worried about being sick with the band. They told me at clinic before I had it done that you should never be sick with the band, but I read lots on here that people are often sick?

There is no reason why you should be sick if you stick to the guidelines, however what many people experience is PB'ing (productive burping) which is bringing up the contents of your banded stomach only. Not the smae as normal being sick.

I am really pleased I have had it done. I know it's early days but feel its going to be a blessing for me. I am only 5 days post op and have lost 11lb since being admitted:)

Can anyo e advise me on how I willbe after the first fill and if they think it's worth waiting till I return from my holiday??

The only reason to delay would be because of flying - ring your provider though if you are concerned.

Thanks

Mandie

If you do get your fill its really nothing to worry about, good luck and have a fantastic holiday!

Back