• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My new life starts right here

Maura

Hi there everyone, have to introduce myself before i carry on. I am Maura, 42 and am married for 20 years with 4 gorgeous children. i have fought with my weight half of my life.. and i feel "what a waste". I have been at every slimming club you can think of, and lost 4 stone on the lighter life plan for my 40th birthday. i felt amazing, and actually wasnt mortified of photos that were taking of me! however guess what... yep I have put the whole 4 stone back on and i feel every pound of it!! i have been thinking of surgery for the past 6 months. my mood level can get very low and i get very agitated. i realise that its alot to do with my weight.
i am booked in with Dr chris De bryane in Belguim for gastric band surgery on Wed 27th April (a week after my youngest sons 6th birthday). I did go to my doctor to see what chances were to get op on NHS. he might as well have laughed in my face. he told me that i would need to be morbidly obese and practically bed ridden to be considered for NHS. so that was a smack in the face for me. I discussed it with my husband, and after a tearful and very emotional discussion we decided that we will try get money gathered up and go private... so here I am! i fly out to Belguim on tue 26 april on my own... i know it sounds madness, but lucky for mei have a very good friend who lives in brussels and will still with me the whole time i am there! i was considering leaving my car at the airport but with all the good advice from you my forum friends, my husband will drive me to and from the airport.
my feelings toward the op is understandly up and down. i am excited, worried and very nervous. but i have to mention that with this forum i have been inspired by alot of good kind people who have shared their experiences on this. so here is my first diary logging, and i promise to keep you all up to date with my progress, thoughts and feelings. and i hope i can also inspire someone someday, who is sitting worried about how to lose weight. thats all for now friends, dinner is burning lol xx

Last edited:
Wishing you all the best of luck with your surgery
Take Care Xx

Good luck with your surgery :)

Nicky xx

Good luck, I don't think you will regret it. I had a similar experience, GP practically laughed in my face, had a very tearful and honest conversation with my other half and made the huge decision to get a loan and go private.
Iam six weeks post op and am so glad I did it. Sod the money, we are only here once and I had spent all of my twenties hiding from life....no more!!
Good for you xxxxxxxxxxx

Yep! i can relate to all of that!

I admire you going abroad for your surgery, i wanted to (as its slightly cheaper) but ive not got enough balls for it, so hat off to you for doing it.

Diarys really help with getting your thought down, private thoughts, that you can share with us lot who know exactly what you going through and will not judge you at all, the only thing we offer is support....and lots of it!

Good luck, I don't think you will regret it. I had a similar experience, GP practically laughed in my face, had a very tearful and honest conversation with my other half and made the huge decision to get a loan and go private.
Iam six weeks post op and am so glad I did it. Sod the money, we are only here once and I had spent all of my twenties hiding from life....no more!!
Good for you xxxxxxxxxxx

wow you are doing so well. 6 weeks and near 2 stone off,.. fingers crossed hope that will be me. thanks so much xx

Yep! i can relate to all of that!

I admire you going abroad for your surgery, i wanted to (as its slightly cheaper) but ive not got enough balls for it, so hat off to you for doing it.

Diarys really help with getting your thought down, private thoughts, that you can share with us lot who know exactly what you going through and will not judge you at all, the only thing we offer is support....and lots of it!

thanks tam, will keep u posted in all my "pre op" and you keep diary going with your post ops and your weigh ins xx

Back