• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anger and frustration!!

Bella'sBand

Well I apologize off the bat because I am about to have a really good whinge!
Week 4 post op stood on the scales and have gained 3 POUNDS!!! How is this possible???
I have again done everything by the book, joined myfitnesspal to keep track of calories, protien, fat etc have drunk my water, have excercised so what gives?
I feel like I have wasted £5,000 because I do not see what a fill is going to do for me. I am eating on my own without a fill 1,250 cals a day so is a fill going to make me have less of a calorie intake? Well when I was less at 800 cals and put on a pound everyone told me I was not eating enough to increase it, so I did and lost 3lbs last week only do be doing what I though better this week and gained it all back.
So what is a fill going to do? I do not get it. I am not cheating, eating sliders, so what is it that this magical fill is going to do for me to help me loose weight?
I am just filled with so much anger and frustration. I do not know what I have to do to loose weight! Has anyone has the same problems? Even if I had stayed the same I would not have been so mad, but I am literally furious that I have gained 3lbs when I have been as good as gold, 3lbs :mad::mad::mad:
So all in all in 4 weeks post op I have lost 5lbs. I lost 6 the first week and am now a pound heavier.
I am really, really starting to regret having this surgery and I do not want to feel that way. Has anyone out there felt this way but gone on to loose weight?
My husband keeps saying wait and be patient till you have had a fill. But what is fill going to do? Restrict my eating, OK so what is it going to restrict it too? Less than 1,250 cals? How much lower because I can do that on my own between now and a fill and if less cals is not making me loose weight WHAT DO I DO? ANYONE?
I am so upset, I do not even want to tell my parents I gained 3lbs. They so want me to loose the weight for me and this surgery was my last resort and a month out and its not working as I hoped.
I did not expect to be loosing 4-5 pounds a week but 1.5-2 would have been really nice.
Please anyone give me some advice because at the moment I am having major regrets :cry::mad::cry:
Whinge over!

Thanks everyone.

First of all are you drinking enough? Its it near your totm as almost all of us have a weak loss or a gain around that time? And lastly, you've mentioned 1250 cals, but 1250 cals of what? Maybe if you post a food diary a few of the banders can give you some suggestions?

Thanks Yvessa, I am drinking 2 ltrs of water a day, I do not drink anything else not tea not coffee not low cals drinks, nothing but water.
I have weetabix with laco free semi skimmed milk for breakfast, Tuna crackers and soft cheese for lunch, scrambled egg, or chicken with veg for dinner, snacks consist of bananas, chocolate mousse as yogurts dont get on so well with my IBS, but the mousse is less in cals and fat then many yogurts, sugar free ice lollies or small tin of soup. That is basically it. 1,250 goes really quickly you cannot have much more than that.
Like I said I have been using myfitnesspal and have been within all the required ranges for cals, fat, carbs and protien they suggest to loose 2lbs a week so I am at a loss?

Hi just stick with it :) some people loose loads quick and others stall for weeks and then start to have really good weight loss. I think your body has gone into shock and if you stick at what your doing it will move, promise :D x

Thank you Suzie, you sound like my husband lol :)
Its just really frustrating when you are giving it your all and getting nothing in return :(
Did you have a band? Did you encounter these problems in the begining?

I had a sleeve :) but i haven't really had big weight loss numbers apart from the second week (I was 3lb heavier when i came out of hospital lol) I have always been 2lb or 1lb loss, but 6 months down all these little bits add up and it's so worth it :D x

I wanted the sleeve but it was twice the price :( So went for the band instead. Good for you though 111lbs in 6 months if fabulous! I can only dream of having that kind of weight loss in 6 months. I would be happy with a pound at this point lol :)

Bella'sBand said:
I wanted the sleeve but it was twice the price :( So went for the band instead. Good for you though 111lbs in 6 months if fabulous! I can only dream of having that kind of weight loss in 6 months. I would be happy with a pound at this point lol :)

I lost most while waiting for op :) when referred to weight management i was 19.6 and the day of op 15.3 to now 11 stone. So I have lost just over 4 stone since op, not the fastest of losers since op. You are doing great sticking within your calories with no restriction and should be very proud of yourself. I'm sure the weight will start to come off soon and in 6 months you will feel and look fab :D x

Bella. I do sympathise as I have always been a slow loser, no matter what I did. Not sure how I will do with band as only fitted yesterday. This said I have discussed the fact that my weight loss might be slow with my other half so I can manage it in my head. Have decided to give myself an 18 month plan, aiming for 6 stone loss. Also I am only planning to weigh every month and do measurements instead every 2 weeks. I'm going for consistency in eating and looking at weight loss over longer period of time. Hope this helps a little. Tracey xxx

Banding takes time and patience I'm afraid, 4 weeks post op you will still be healing and your body getting used to it. I had my band for 12 years and still could not fathom it ways, some weeks loss some not, some days I could eat some days could eat nothing. In the beginning I didn't loose consistently for at least 3 months and a couple of fills. Relax and let it happen, it will and once it starts you'll look back and wonder what u were worrying about.
I'm now starting a new journey as my old band finally lost the plot and slipped amongst other things and i have just had a bypass but we had 12 years as a team and I lost 12 stone in a year, maintained had two children, lost again, so hang in there! It WILL happen for you.

Our bodies are unusual things that like to surprise us once in a while. I've seen this happen so many times in just the few months I've been here even though people really are doing everything they should, like you are. I had a time where in one week I put on and lost the same 2 pound 3 times! (I wouldn't of known if I hadn't weighed myself so much but it's so habit forming) and I know I will get a stall soon or have a couple of weeks like you are having because our body often reacts this way to changes in diets, exercise etc. There are lots of theories but the gist of it is that weight loss, especially for people who have spent years of radical dieting and putting rubbish in there bodies, is never a straight downward ride. You will get weeks of a plateau or even a gain and then your body will cotton on again a take a nice big dip. I'm confident in a few weeks time you will find you've lost those pounds and then some, it's just a case on hanging in there but I don't blame you for feeling frustrated. Just from reading here it takes a while sometimes to get into the swing of things with the band as you don't have the malabsorption, so in the early days you are doing this on your own. You wait until you have your first fill. I bet your body will wake up then. Just keep at it, you will get there :) x

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and advice. It really does help. I will definitely keep on, keeping on and not give up.
It was just like, geez 3lbs really!?!? And I do feel better now I have had a good old whinge and read your words of support and encouragment.
Sincerely THANK YOU EVERYONE :) :) :)

Keep at it, and please don't be frustrated. Time will reward you eventually! These bands are funny things. Nearly 1 year post op & I'm still getting my head around it! Although it works much better for me now. I feel I am finally at the best restriction for me & my weight loss it speeding up. I've been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster with it - feeling what your feeling now 1 week & then being totally elated the next! I do agree with what people are saying about your body catching up. Once a month I have a mega loss (can be up to 7lbs), but the other 3 weeks it can be 1lb, half a pound or stay the same. I have realised this is my cycle now but can't explain it! Don't be disheartened because I promise u it will work & it will be the best money u have ever spent. Be patient and the weight loss will come. Keep up your hard work, u are doing fab & it will become easier soon xx

Thank you Kelley, I will do my very best to keep motivated. It just seemed that whatever I read or watched on Youtube before my op people were loosing 8stone in 8months and losing 3-4 pounds a week and although I was not expecting that for myself like I said I was expecting 1.5-2lbs a week, call me crazy! lol :)
I will just have to accept the fact there is no rhyme nor reason to how this thing works, do what I am doing and wait for results. I was just SOOOO looking forward to seeing a 2lb weigh loss this week to be in the 17's now I am 5lbs away from that goal AGAIN!!
But I will just keep on climbing that mountain and hope to reach the first base camp soon as there is no going back down the mountain that is for sure lol!
I paid my ticket I am taking my ride to the top come hell or highwater :)

Thank you for your support it really does count :)

I am 18.3 today so I am with u on the 17s!! I was 25 stone when I started weight management & 23 when I got the op. I've been frustrated with myself for a slow weight loss, but I would never have lost 5 stone in 13 months Pre op. Like i said, my weight loss at the minute is much faster than it has been. It is dropping off weekly so i am hoping to gain some ground! I am 3 lb off 7 stone all together & 4lb off the 17s. I don't remember ever being in the 17s. This excites me, it is my mission for this week- we can do it together! See u next Saturday when we will be in the 17s xx

Keep at it Bella's Band, I know at times things are so frustrating and we want to see a quick result.. I am exactly the same but we are all here with a common problem and we are all here to help.

thinking of you and keep going

Jane x

Thank you Kelley and Jane, I really appreciate the support :) I will certainly keep at it.

Bella x

Hi Bella. Hope you are feeling better today. Stick at it. Tracey xxx

Hi Tracey, if I am honest, not really. But I just have to get on with it and keep on at it. I have a dieticians appointment by phone tomorrow so I will see if she can shed any light.
I know you just had your band done and I dont want to put a downer on your happiness at having it done, but at this point I am thinking what have I done?
I am 4 weeks post op and expected to be at least in the 17's by now seen as I was 18:09 on the day of surgery. Was 2.5 pounds a week after the op too high an expectation? I did not think so. I lost 6lbs first week post op so was down to 18:03 that gave me 3 more weeks to get into the 17's with only 4 pounds to loose to do it. 1.5lbs a week I would have been thrilled with but no, second week post op put on a 1lb, third week lost 3lb forth week put 3lbs back on.
And I have drunk my water, ate my protien, joined myfitnesspal to keep track of it all and was on track all week, went on the excercise bike all without any restriction or any feeling of having a band at all, basically doing it on my own and nada, nothing, zip! Scratch that I would have been happy with nada ie staying the same but to put on 3lbs is pretty soul destroying when you have given it your all.
I hope 4 weeks out you have a much better experience though. Trouble is people keep telling me I do not have a fill yet, so what is a fill going to do? Make me eat less calories? I was on 800 cals week 2 and put on a pound, everyone said you are not eating enough calories, so I up my cals loose 3 do the same the following week and gain 3!
I am exhausted from trying to figure out how to make this band work with me. I know it is just a tool and not magic. I am putting the effort and work in myself so when is the band going to do its part? And what part will it play, restriction? Restrict what my calories? Then everyone tells me I am not eating enough calories LOL :) I feel like I cannot win.
Before the band I would diet and nothing would happen, I went to my GP told him I though it was my thyroid as I ate perfectly, excercised, begged for a sleeve. Have high blood pressure and a BMI at the time of 46 but basically told me I had no hope. So I could only afford the band and with a disabled little boy who needs me healthy to look after him I felt desperate to do something to get the weight shifting and just went for the band. I seen so many on Youtube and magazines who have had it and all were stories like lost 8 stone in 8 months, Fern Briton, Anne Diamond, Tina Malone it worked for them, why would it not work for me? Right?
But now I am thinking I have wasted £5,000 and have these horrendous big purple angry red scars on the only part of my body that did not have scars or stretch marks and 1 month out I am only 5 pounds down from surgery date?
I know I know I know many will say you are only starting give it time, and I agree with them but it still does not stop me being confused now. I will will will be positive and carry on, I have no choice, it is in there now. And if it another months time it is coming off at a regular pace I will be thrilled, but I think to have fears like mine is natural and this is the place to voice them. Who else can give me advice and support like others going through the same thing.
Bet your sorry you asked now lol :D Look at this essay. I think really it is just what I am thinking in my head and it really does help to get it all out, voice my fears, bare myself raw. There is no point in my pretending everything is wonderful with my band when its not. And there is no point either in my throwing in the towel when I am at the begining of my journey. But it did really help to have a good old fashioned whinge about it and it really helped to have all you ladies support and advice :)
So thanks for asking Tracey (you have probably nodded off my now lol) I do feel better today, I am moving on and trying to let go of my fears.
Bella x

Back