• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Annual leave or sick pay for your recovery.

Vicky81

Ok.. Probably seems like a bit of an odd question but I am just wanting to find out how you guys have handled taking time off to have your ops and even your aftercare /band fills..

Originally I was going to take my operation recovery period as annual leave, but then my mum pointed out that i shouldn't be doing that as I will be unfit for work and it's not like I am going to spend the week or two putting my feet up having a jolly, it's a serious operation and I am having this for a genuine health reasons... Which I think she has a valid point. I get sick pay at work and I have never taken any time off ever in the 2 years I have been working for my company.

I wanted to find out how my work would feel about this and so I informed my manager about my plans for the op and she was really supportive however she just presumed I was going to be taking annual leave to have the op because that's what she did when she had her breast implants... :confused:
However she said she would find out for me.

What did everyone else do?

sharon2014

I took it as annual leave purely for the reason that I wasn't sharing the info with anyone at work, but I would have said otherwise..I did ponder whether they would class it as a cosmetic procedure had I made them aware..despite fact it's partially a life saving op as stopping me getting more unfit and unwell..I will never know now! Xxx

Good luck with what u choose, if they know about it I can't see why sick pay wouldn't work!! Xx

siana58

I did the same, took it as leave because
1 I didnt want anyone to know
2 There would be less questions that way

However - I ended up taking 1 weeks leave and a couple of weeks sick as I had some complications, I told them I had post op complications and wasn't specific about the surgery that I had. As for fills etc, I am booking them early morning or late afternoon and making up the time

Some companies would class this as non essential surgery so would expect you to take it as leave. (not saying I agree) so it really depends what your company policy states

sally1

I took it as paid sick time, my manager has been great about it all I had 8 weeks off after op as I work 14.5 hour shifts and am on my feet the whole time I wouldn't of managed going back any earlier and I'm currently on a 4 week phased return to work x

sophiapink100

I took it as paid sick leave. They were great at work, I made sure I explained to them this was an operation to save my life nothing else. Doctor signed me off with abdom op. You don't have to tell them what you are having you could explain you have to have an operation, nothing else is their business. X

los in it

I had 2 months off as paid sick leave.

Bedford2015

I am going to get it paid by ssp which I will only get £17.45 a day or something like £80.55 a week. This is because I am a contractor and don't get paid if I am not at work.x

siana58

It all depends what is in the employers policy, civil servants, NHS etc may still be on the 6 months full pay/6 months half but for most people the amount of time they will have on full pay will be capped or even nil, and the employer ultimately has the discretion whether to pay or not and some don't pay for what they consider are cosmetic procedures (that may include WLS) Its an urban myth that if you have a sicknote they have to pay you, I would find out some facts about what your employers policies are and take it from there

sophiapink100

It all depends what is in the employers policy, civil servants, NHS etc may still be on the 6 months full pay/6 months half but for most people the amount of time they will have on full pay will be capped or even nil, and the employer ultimately has the discretion whether to pay or not and some don't pay for what they consider are cosmetic procedures (that may include WLS) Its an urban myth that if you have a sicknote they have to pay you, I would find out some facts about what your employers policies are and take it from there

If you have a sick note they have to pay you SSP. The rest is up to them. I had 3 weeks off work as that's all I was entitled to before I went to SSP which I couldn't afford

Su2ie

Exactly, SSP is a benefit so doesn't cost the employer

Actually it does cost the employer even though it's a statutory right!! The employer has to pay it and gets no contribution from the government or tax relief on SSP any more.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it as sick though :) you will be unfit for work after surgery and as long as you have a sick note you will get sick pay but it depends on your company policy what level is paid and for how long. The reason is irrelevant, if you're certified unfit for work then you're unfit for work!

Tina.W12

Exactly, SSP is a benefit so doesn't cost the employer

Part if my job includes doing the company payroll, and if the SSP is less than 3% of the NI payable then the company are unable to claim it back. Therefore there is a cost to the employer it is a myth that it comes from the government. Saying that you are entitled to claim up to 26 weeks SSP from your employer!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Tina.W12

Actually it does cost the employer even though it's a statutory right!! The employer has to pay it and gets no contribution from the government or tax relief on SSP any more. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it as sick though :) you will be unfit for work after surgery and as long as you have a sick note you will get sick pay but it depends on your company policy what level is paid and for how long. The reason is irrelevant, if you're certified unfit for work then you're unfit for work!

Sent at the same time Su2ie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

florabell

I'm planning to take it as annual leave, then (touch wood) if I am ill afterwards I will take sick x

Billie.x

I've taken sick time. Got a 2 week sick note from the hospital and if I need longer I'm going to my GP to be signed off x

wonderpet

Ok.. Probably seems like a bit of an odd question but I am just wanting to find out how you guys have handled taking time off to have your ops and even your aftercare /band fills.. Originally I was going to take my operation recovery period as annual leave, but then my mum pointed out that i shouldn't be doing that as I will be unfit for work and it's not like I am going to spend the week or two putting my feet up having a jolly, it's a serious operation and I am having this for a genuine health reasons... Which I think she has a valid point. I get sick pay at work and I have never taken any time off ever in the 2 years I have been working for my company. I wanted to find out how my work would feel about this and so I informed my manager about my plans for the op and she was really supportive however she just presumed I was going to be taking annual leave to have the op because that's what she did when she had her breast implants... :confused: However she said she would find out for me. What did everyone else do?

Hi are you having band or gastric bypass ?

ellieL82

I'm taking sick leave because then if I'm not fit to go back after my 2 weeks then I can just extend it no questions asked but if you suddenly want sick time after a/l it can look a bit odd.