• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another Newbie :-)

JaneNewcastle

Hello Everyone

Two event collided in my life to bring me here, I was made redundant, and then my Mum had a stroke.

I felt like the redundancy was to change my life, and then with my Mum's stroke I decided that it had given me the chance to have the funding and time away from work to have surgery.

After a couple of consultations over the last months and discussion with Sean Woodcock in Newcastle I have decided to go for the bypass and will be having it in May.

I already know that skin removal on the NHS here needs a BMI of 27 maintained for 2 years. I don't think that will be achieveable for me, so I am treating this as a two stage process. Have the surgery, lose the weight, give my body a chance to settle down, while saving for the skin removal.

I am looking forward to getting to know members here.

Jane

Hi Jane and welcome, im a Sunderland Patient if you add me to facebook i can put you in contact with a few of the north tyneside patients thats not on here, good luck with your op x

Good Luck Jane, I had my bypass on 2nd Oct last year at Sunderland Royal Hospital :D

Hi Jane
Sounds like a very sensible plan of action to me

Hi Daisy, thanks for responding. :)

The only thing I am concerned about is the life change post op, I'm concerned about being thinner and healthier but miserable! I'm sure it's a common concern. My family are concerned that this is a drastic step, but drastic action is needed! Over the last 20 years I have gone between size 18 and size 32 four times, so I guess it's time to stop that cycle!!

Thanks Ladies :)

Liz, how do I add you to Facebook?

theres the facebook symbol just above my pic click it and it should take you to my fb profile x

:welcome2: xxx

Thank you :)

Although I am having my op privately, I am using the same consultant who does this surgery for the NHS in my area. He made me go through the same process that the NHS patients do, proving weight loss prior to surgery, and he insisted I stop smoking. I didn't smoke much (about 5 a day) but still I'm proud of myself that I have lost weight AND stopped smoking at the same time.

I am reading with interest the experiences of the other members :)

Hi Jane

"The only thing I am concerned about is the life change post op, I'm concerned about being thinner and healthier but miserable!"

I have the same concerns , alot of my friends have said that they are worried surgery will change me , but i had a good long think , food is not the only thing that makes me happy , and so the absence of it shouldnt depress me ? that sounds very pragmatic i know .

I am focused that when i lose my weight ... and boy thats a long journey .. i will be able to do so much more and those lovely things .. like playing football with my 3 year old nephew ... will more than compensate.

I think you are wonderful to have the attitude of taking this opportunity as a chance for improovement ,turning those negatives into such a positive thing is just great !

I think you can amaze yourself !

I look forward to following your story

All the very best

Clare xx

Hi Jane - Wishing you all the best for your weight loss journey x

You have done really well to giveup the cigarettes as well as lose weight ready for surgery - and I know it will make you feel much better for it epecially when you are recovering from the anaesthetic.

Good Luck and keep safe x

Love Kat x

Thank you Clare. :)

Another thing that concerns me is that this surgery is based on the fact that you feel full because your stomach is smaller. During my lead up to this surgery I have realised that I never feel either full or hungry. I eat because it's time to eat, I eat because I want to eat. I know that this is a physical aid to the mental side of losing weight, and I know it's not going to be easy, but like you I am hoping that being more fit will allow me to have more changes in my life other than my wardrobe! :)

Actually I have clothes in most sizes, so I don't think I will have to buy much until I get lower than a size 20!! lol

Jane x

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum. I believe that some things happen for a reason so you getting made redundant may just have been the decision for you.

Good luck and I'll look forward to reading about your journey.
x

Back