• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any sleevers here?

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
I've just read on another post Blonde Moment has a sleeve, anyone else? Blonde moment, would you mind sharing your story so far with me?:)

Thanks Margaret, you might be a sleever yourself soon. Does a dr choose the procedure you will have or are you undecided, like me lol?

its something i am considering. Mostly due to my high bmi, its supposedly safer.

sleeve is safer for people with higher bmi's it helps get to a safer bmi for a full procedure.(longer under anestetic)
its a restrictive procedure same as band but helps get the bmi down for longer time in surgery after weight loss x

from what I've read a lot of sleevers were happy with their weight loss results enough not to bother with a second procedure, maybe depends on how much you need to lose though.

Hi Lyn,

I had my gastric sleeve on 6th may and i am pleased with the results so far having lost 2st ,i chose the sleeve as i didnt think it would be as intrusive as the bypass it was nothing to do with a quicker proceedure or my BMI infact i asked my consultant if i could have it done instead of the bypass,also i have been told i dont have to take the multi vitamins and protein injections for the rest of my life like bypassers do (not sure about banders) as long as i maintain a good nutrition diet,some other side affects like dumping and hair loss arent a issue either.:D.

I am not having the second proceedure (full bypass) as i dont think it is necessary,i think from what i have read most americans have the sleeve to get to a lower weight then they have the bypass but i havent read of anyone having it in the uk.

Anything else you want to know please ask,if i can help i will.

xx

Last edited:
Cheers BM.:) Yeah it's gaining popularity as a stand-alone procedure. In Australia especially and a lot of usa peeps are converting from band to sleeve.

The thing puts me off vsg is the non-dumping aspect as I think I'd need it to keep me on the straight and narrow lol. Although in saying that not every bypasser gets dumping syndrome. Oh decisions, decisions!:D

I was chatting with someone yesterday at a healthier weight support group meeting thats 8 weeks post sleeve op !
So far she's really happy with her weight lose and has had no pain or issues what so ever, and because her intestine is still intacked she doesn't have to take the array of vitimins and doesn't dump, she also said that so far she's not come across a food she's not been able to eat.

She did say that the private sector consultants are more reluctant to recommend the sleeve over the band or bypass as there is not any longer term statisics to prove that the weight lose is sustainable, but she said this was something she was willing to chance, apparenly many sleevers go on longerterm to have the full DS

I said i'd keep in touch with her as i'm interested in how she gets on over the coming months.

My GP knows a lady who lost 7st after vsg so he's in favour. I'd be in danger of stretching my stomach out by eating things you can chew into liquid suchas crisps and chocolate. You'd think I wouldn't risk it after spending the money but being a food addict I am not sure I could say that for certain.:eek:

Ultimately you could cheat any surgery if you were determinded enough so this is another thing I need to consider.

Hi Lyn
Which ever wls you decide has to be the right one for you,the decision is never easy,we all have our own reasons for choosing for choosing the one we have had done.
As for not dumping,to be honest i have dumped a few times,it isnt alot its usually the last bit of what i have eaten,i think its because i still seem to think maybe a little more,big mistake :sigh: .
As soon as i get that feeling of fullness no matter how much i have eaten i now stop,but the temptation is still there i dont deny that .

Good luck with whatever surgery you decide .

Hi Lyn
Which ever wls you decide has to be the right one for you,the decision is never easy,we all have our own reasons for choosing for choosing the one we have had done.
As for not dumping,to be honest i have dumped a few times,it isnt alot its usually the last bit of what i have eaten,i think its because i still seem to think maybe a little more,big mistake :sigh: .
As soon as i get that feeling of fullness no matter how much i have eaten i now stop,but the temptation is still there i dont deny that .

Good luck with whatever surgery you decide .

Di are you confussing dumping with over eating ? as to me it sounds like your eating to much !

Dumping is the result of to much sugar reaching your intestine quickly and resulting in the over production of insulin, at worst you get the shakes, feel nausias, blurred vision and most people that experience dumping have to lay down or sleep, at the other end of the scale you may suffer a bit of dizzyness, cramps in the lower abdomen or just get light headed for a short while !

With a sleeve you retain your complete anatomy, i.e your pyloric schincter, which holds the food in your smaller stomach until its semi digested before releasing it to your intestines !

Hi Silversurfer

Many thanx for that,i always thought dumping was a posh word for being sick,there you go,another blonde with a little more knowledge.lol.

xx

I'm a sleevie. Op March 25 this year. I am so happy. Lost 2/12 stone in 3 months but if you factor in the weight I needed to lose to get funding (2 stone) and what I lost from the pre op diet, it's around 5 stone.
I didn't pick it, the VSG was what my surgeon felt was the best option for me and I trust him completely. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing I've ever done for myself, and so grateful to my surgeon because I was higher risk than normal for the op.

Hi Lyn
The was a woman on TV that lost 11 st in a year , and she had a sleeve . It was on ITV or Channel 4 but I forget when it was on . Maybe some one can remember it . Take care .
MARGARET XX

Damn, I'm sorry I missed that. Might be repeated though.

Ditsy dame, congrats on your nealry 5st off, fab stuff!:D

Back