• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Body been re-set?

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Before I chose the sleeve operation, I had originally been referred for a bypass and was initially quite keen on the bypass, everything I read about malabsorption and re-routing the intestines causes hormonal changes which reduce appetite and even change people's tastes.

But halfway thru the journey to surgery I changed my mind for the sleeve (various reasons). Although I did choose the sleeve for the extra safety aspects (despite Scooter's horrendous leak experience, overall complications from a sleeve are fewer than from a bypass) but I was warned all along "you might not lose so much as with a bypass, you might not reach goal" etc.

Well I took the gamble, because after 20 years *above* 20 stone even an op that might only get me down to 15 stone would have given me a better quality of life and health than I had previously.

========================================

However, now I am nearly 5 months post op and my sleeve is giving me the distinct impression that it *will* get me all the way to goal with very little effort on my part.

BASICALLY ........ I feel as if my body has been "re-set"

It feels as if my body is now behaving like a "slim" person who only has two modes: (1) lose weight, or (2) maintain ...... the third option (3) gaining weight my body now appears to be totally incapable of doing even when I do (occasionally) go over my limits and indulge slightly.

This is giving me confidence that not only (a) will I reach goal, but (b) I will be able to maintain it with the help of my sleeve extremely easily.

Anyone else feel like this ....?

(especially sleevers, banders and wrappers -- those of us who chose something other than the bypass?)

Bellydancer57

Most definitely. It is entirely different from my previous weight loss attempts (life long). I don't feel like I'm on a so called diet. Actually I don't think O am. This is now normal eating & living for me. I feel that I am in total control & now it's more eating to live & get good nutrition not living to eat!
My sleeve has given me amazing results. Just over 6 months now & winking at 14 1/2 stones which will be 8 stones lost since op. so can't moan at that can you? Admit it hasn't always been plain sailing & still have a few intolerance issues giving me problems but all positive on the whole. Yes it does feel like my body ( & brain) has been reset. I never contemplated the bypass, always wanted a sleeve. My pals who had bypass at same time as me have all lost but no where near what I have lost in same amount of time. They can eat far more than I can & do. They can eat lots of things I can't & do. They are moaning that their weight loss is not as good as mine, they get hungry, they can eat 'naughty' things. Funny thing is I can't /don't want to. Last week met a guy who had been sleeve a year ago & he was in my ward the day I had my op viiting someone. He hadn't really changed much since I last saw him 6 months ago & is till a big man. He didn't recognise me & said he was amazed at how well I had done. For me the sleeve was the right thing for me. I believe it's horses for course.

Bellydancer57

Sorry guy was bypassed not sleeved.

ceejay

I am 9 weeks post-op today and feel a little like this.
I was offered the bypass at Chrristmas last year and, after much consideration, I turned it down. I was then given the option of sleeve and jumped at the chance. Not so many horror stories, no malabsorption, less side effects, etc....
I recovered from my op really quickly and have had no sickness since the day after. I can eat anything I want, just a lot less and slower, though this means it's definately a tool for me - something I have to work with rather than have it just happen for me. I find I still feel hungry, but am having a review of medication to see if it's that causing the 'feeling', and I haven't lost weight as quick as I thought I would - 2lbs a week with no big losses since surgery.
I feel as though my whole attitude to my lifestyle has changed. I am more conscious of what I put in the shopping trolley, more aware of what hubby eats, more keen to be out and about with the kids and, not a nice thing, but I'm more aware of larger people around me. I thought I was the only big person before and now I see that others are big too.
I'll be happy to continue with a 2lb loss every week until I'm near target, and can't believe that I'm almost a normal person now!

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I never contemplated the bypass, always wanted a sleeve.

How long had you known about the existence of the sleeve before your op, then?

Because for me, I had not heard about it at all until I was referred for surgery. Like the majority of the general public I had only heard of "band" and "bypass" and knew I did not want a band.

Ruthiep

I am about 3lbs from my new goal of 9 and a half stone (original goal was 10st, and original original goal was "anywhere in the 10s". So yes in only 9 months I have done better than I ever thought I would. And I am happier with my sleeve than I dreamed.

BUT and this is a big BUT...

16st 2 (your present weight, Sharonimo) is almost 2st higher than my starting weight this time around. I have been 238 in the past but went down to 156 with my own efforts before climbing back to 200lbs which is my start weight before consulting Mr. Sufi.

The lower your weight, the harder it gets to lose. So whereas the weight might be dropping off now no matter what you do, you probably won't find that to be the case when you get below 200lbs. I found it all quite a struggle, and now I am so close to goal, I know every pound lost will be achieved by blood sweat and tears. I'd like to get to 9 and a half stone, but I might not ever get there.

I don't kid myself that I have got all the way to goal with little or no effort on my part, or that I will stay there with no effort either. I have worked damned hard to get here, and I could have so easily eaten the wrong foods and either not lost, or even gained.

All the way down my weight scale, I have had a LOT of stalls to remind me that I have to put in the hard graft myself. I have exercised my ass off. I have low carbed.(still am low carbing, mostly). I have walked miles. I always refuse desserts and made sure I never ever eat past the "stop" sign; ie the second I feel full. Mr. Sufi totally terrified me about stretching my sleeve and regain. He has banged on about it over and over about how easy it is to stretch it, and regain some if not all of the weight if I am going to be stupid about things. I don't drink alcohol. I eat chocolate, but only in very small amounts. I still eat low fat and low calorie everything. I don't call that "No effort on my part."

Last edited:
I feel like I have been re-set, too !
When I saw Mr.Bothas' registrar a few weeks ago, I had to ask him if Mr.Patel had actually re-sized my stomach or had removed my Hypothalamus...was assured it was a Sleeve Op !

I seem to lose, an average of 3lbs a week....there are frequent stalls but, as frustrating as they are, they last no more than 2 weeks.

I have had one glass of wine since my Op...didn't like it (never a drinker anyway) and decided I could spend my calories on much better things.
I eat , around, a 1000 calories a day...some days a little bit more or less.

I am so very, very happy with my Sleeve. :)

Bellydancer57

How long had you known about the existence of the sleeve before your op, then?

Because for me, I had not heard about it at all until I was referred for surgery. Like the majority of the general public I had only heard of "band" and "bypass" and knew I did not want a band.

Actually I went to see about a band initially but the surgeon explained that it was no good for me & suggested the sleeve. He explained it & the bypass but said he recommended the sleeve for my circumstances. So about a year before the op.

lamb_reader

Sleeve stretch

This might sound like a strange question but is there any possibility that the stomach after a sleeve stretches again? Or does the restriction last and keep you from overeating all your life?
I have a really stupid brain. I know I've had enough but I eat until I'm FULL. I know I have to work on it but I'm afraid that by time I do, my stomach will have re-streched and the sleeve was for nothing.

Danniplus4

lamb_reader said:
This might sound like a strange question but is there any possibility that the stomach after a sleeve stretches again? Or does the restriction last and keep you from overeating all your life?
I have a really stupid brain. I know I've had enough but I eat until I'm FULL. I know I have to work on it but I'm afraid that by time I do, my stomach will have re-streched and the sleeve was for nothing.

It is possible to stretch your stomach after your op, but if, and it's a big if, you won't do it for a good while post-op. the early days you are full after literally a couple of mouthfuls. I am 6 months post-op tomorrow. The few times I have misjudged my food intake and tried to squeeze in just one more mouthful the pain has been so excruciating it isn't Something I'd try often enough to stretch my sleeve.

Of course, your op is only part of the battle, and as I have said to many people who have asked about it, if I wanted to I could break up a big bar of chocolate and eat it over the course of a day along with my meals and my calorie intake would be huge, thereby leading me to gain weight. However, the restriction teaches you how much you can eat and all the effort and cost both financial and emotional are enough of a motivation for me not to go back to my bad old ways.

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass

I believe that *both* the bypass pouch *and* the sleeve can and do stretch in two ways:

(1) is natural growth that surgeons expect from the very small, tight size one day post surgery to what is deemed to be a normal "adult" size pouch / sleeve approx 6 months post op.

(2) is the *other* type of stretching that can occur to *all* weight loss surgery patients due to NON-COMPLIANT behaviour (i.e. not sticking to the rules) -- all of these things will cause *both* a sleeve or pouch to stretch:

** constantly pushing the limits and trying to eat more
** drinking with meals and washing the food down
** drinking fizzy drinks (the bubbles create air pockets which slowly over a matter of time cause small amounts of space to grow inside the pouch / sleeve -- drink LOTS of fizzy drinks daily and this will happen)
** etc etc

NON-COMPLIANT patient behaviour is the number 1 reason for pouches and sleeves growing beyond what a surgeon expects a normal "adult" pouch / sleeve size to be.

Lush121

Thanks all, this is a really helpful post for a newbie sleever. I'm less than a week, but the thing that always stopped me successfully dieting in the past was feeling constantly hungry, even on GI / Atkins type diets. I am hoping that with the sleeve I won't get that feeling.

Bellydancer57

Don't forget that on top of the restriction a sleeve has the portion of the stomach cut away that produces the various hormones/chemicals that control hunger signals to the brain. I have never had a moments hunger since my sleeve & never want to eat but obviously have to in order to get good nutrition.

lamb_reader

Thanks all, this is a really helpful post for a newbie sleever. I'm less than a week, but the thing that always stopped me successfully dieting in the past was feeling constantly hungry, even on GI / Atkins type diets. I am hoping that with the sleeve I won't get that feeling.
I have the same problem - feeling constantly hungry. I wish there was a brain surgery/ medication I could take for that. I don't think that my stomach is really at fault but rather my stupid brain. But since the hormone, that makes my brain think I'm always hungry, is produced in the stomach they're going to cut most of it out and give me a chance to re-learn how to eat "normal" portion sizes. Can't wait to eat the same portion as my friends and not feel deprived and only half full.

gonnabethinner

Really liked this post its a worry for me. I Have decided on sleeve I worry it wont work or that it will slow up after 6months on. May decide to move onto bypass then, but worry about malabsorbtion. But would be happy with 7 stone weight loss so If sleeve can do this for me will be thrilled. Hope my brain re sets like sharonimo

flutterby1966

I am a bander, and I feel like my body has been reset. When I reached my target weight of 12st, I continued to lose weight even when increasing my consumption to 1500 calories a day on average over a week. Even last week when I had an op and was eating c that amount, I lost half a stone...arghhh. I may be tempting fate by saying this, but its a lot slower regaining than it is to lose at the moment ... But that's what I am working on...as I look too thin at 10st. I do not low carb or even cut out fats. I eat what I fancy just in smaller portions than I used to do...But not teeny weeny portions as i dont have really tight restriction. I think a balanced approach has boosted my metabolism :D

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I have the same problem - feeling constantly hungry.

The sleeve op does do this. I very *rarely* feel hunger these days.

I also thought that HUNGER, HUNGER, HUNGER was the No.1 reason I ate (it did used to feel that I was ruled by hunger and being TOO hungry) ..... however altho that is no longer a problem, there are *other* reasons why we eat -- habit, boredom, social setting, just liking the taste of something -- and those reasons don't go away ...... I now have to work my head on those reasons, although I am *extremely* grateful that hunger is no longer part of the equation.

Pain might be the only way to stop me from overeating - sad but true

I notice on your stats, lamb-reader, that you currently weigh "only" 243 lbs and want to lose 100 lbs. The sleeve is ideal for achieving 50 - 100 lb weight loss.

I have already achieved my first 100 lbs (the first 7 stone fell off EASY PEASY -- which is when I posted this thread !!) ...... sadly I am now finding it a bit *more* difficult to lost the next 70 lbs (I needed to lose a total of 176 lbs from my original 330 lbs down to 154 lbs to reach a "normal" weight for my height) .... but I am now having to *work* at it a bit harder (calorie counting and exercise tracking which I was not doing in my first 5 months post op).

lamb_reader

The sleeve op does do this. I very *rarely* feel hunger these days.

I also thought that HUNGER, HUNGER, HUNGER was the No.1 reason I ate (it did used to feel that I was ruled by hunger and being TOO hungry) ..... however altho that is no longer a problem, there are *other* reasons why we eat -- habit, boredom, social setting, just liking the taste of something -- and those reasons don't go away ...... I now have to work my head on those reasons, although I am *extremely* grateful that hunger is no longer part of the equation.

I notice on your stats, lamb-reader, that you currently weigh "only" 243 lbs and want to lose 100 lbs. The sleeve is ideal for achieving 50 - 100 lb weight loss.

I have already achieved my first 100 lbs (the first 7 stone fell off EASY PEASY -- which is when I posted this thread !!) ...... sadly I am now finding it a bit *more* difficult to lost the next 70 lbs (I needed to lose a total of 176 lbs from my original 330 lbs down to 154 lbs to reach a "normal" weight for my height) .... but I am now having to *work* at it a bit harder (calorie counting and exercise tracking which I was not doing in my first 5 months post op).
This question might be a bit personal but how much excess skin is there after a weight loss of more than 100 lbs?

Ruthiep

I have JUST reached my (new) goal of 9st 7lbs and am ten months post op! Am very excited about it!! Yes I have had to work hard at it, I won't deny. I've been 9st 10lbs from the end of August until about a week ago, that's a LONG stall; but all of a sudden it started dropping again and that was WITH a marathon of Jewish holidays all of which involve eating festive meals twice a day!! I have exercised my newly skinny butt off. I have controlled my eating on these festive meals. I have (more or less) low carbed. But I haven't denied myself small treats of chocolate on almost a daily basis.

I can't say I never feel hungry. But a good test has been our six Jewish fasts. I fast much better now than I did pre op. And these are dry fasts ie food AND liquid are denied for up to 25 hours. I feel great during and more or less fine after the fasts too. So I guess my hunger is mostly in my head.

Anyway I am thrilled with my sleeve; it has brought me to goal weight in only ten months!!!!!