• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any tips on food after surgery?

Only your provider can tell you that, we can tell you what we were eating at a certain stage but its really important to follow the advice you were given x

Agreed check with your provider, but as you are only just post op most providers have people on liquids only (consistency that will go up a straw) and is normally around 2 weeks ~ altho some do more or less.

I was on clear fluids for 4 days, then thick liquids for 4 days, then sloppy food, I was two weeks yest xx

Loads better thanks, can eat most things, apart from bread and pasta, learnt the hard way with those and it was most uncomfortable.
It's trial and error I guess xx

Oh and listen to your band, don't rush things, if you feel ready to try yoghurt, then just take it really really slowly, you will soon know if you aren't ready yet xx

Loads better thanks, can eat most things, apart from bread and pasta, learnt the hard way with those and it was most uncomfortable.
It's trial and error I guess xx

Out of interest what was your post op eating plan?

Your stats say that you are just past two weeks post op, most are on mushy food at two weeks.

Bread, pasta and rice are tricky for banders as they can swell in the pouch so I'm not suprised if you had bread / pasta they caused discomfort so soon post op :confused:

I ate yoghurt but it was a thick creamy one. Yup im wide wake with wind and my peppermint tea. I feel energised though and want to clean everywhere

BlueDiamond said:
How far post op are you??

Had it done on Tuesday morning x I did too much yesterday (cleaning) not heavy stuff but walking around my house and wrapping Xmas presents. I'm a little uncomfy today so taking it EASY x

Do take it easy, you may feel energised but its also during this time so soon post op that you need to allow the band to settle, for the swelling to go down and so you don't do anything to the stitches, either inside or the wounds on the outside!

Sit down, take it easy!

Out of interest what was your post op eating plan?

Your stats say that you are just past two weeks post op, most are on mushy food at two weeks.

Bread, pasta and rice are tricky for banders as they can swell in the pouch so I'm not suprised if you had bread / pasta they caused discomfort so soon post op :confused:

I was told to have clear fluids for 4 days, thick fluids for 4 days, soft foods for 4 days, then onto "normal" foods as soon as possible after that!

It's amazing how each area differs in their pre-op diet, then post op diet.

Hiya

I had to do 2 weeks liquids (anything that would go up a straw but not use a straw)

2 weeks mush, shepherds/fish pie consistency

then onto normal crunchy foods.

Was told rice and white bread may cause problems and not to try them till I'd managed all other foods. I haven't bothered with rice, pasta or bread but have managed toasted wholemeal pitta x

My surgeon called me last night and today. He is angry that I've not seen dietician and has left her about 5 messages. He has sent me over a list of what I can and can't eat yet. I had a yoghurt last night x yum and I had a slim fast for breakfast and a chicken cup a soup for lunch. I will buy some jelly but I did have a hot orange drink at my mums earlier x

I too was on liquids for 2 weeks, then sloppy and mushy food for 2 weeks, and then to start on normal foods, and to introduce crunchy and textured food. This is to allow the swelling to go down, give you time to heal. I took it very easy after my op, gave myself plenty of time to adjust.
I now try everything! Bread, pasta! One good piece of advice I had was to chew every mouthful at least 20 times(I always rushed my food). This is essential when you get onto 'normal' foods. I've had a few moments when I havent chewed something enough and the pain was horrific!
Shame you haven't had any advice yet, lets hope our experiences will help you! I love my band!!
Good luck on your weight loss journey.
xx

Eventually spoke to my dietician tonight and got my meal plans. Better late than never but downside is I feel like I'm getting flu. I feel dog rough

kalkatt said:
I was told to have clear fluids for 4 days, thick fluids for 4 days, soft foods for 4 days, then onto "normal" foods as soon as possible after that!

It's amazing how each area differs in their pre-op diet, then post op diet.

That's basically what dietician said. Don't rush things but let me band do the talking.

Aye my heart felt funny yesterday x I'm poorly today x think I've got flu or something. I feel rubbish (aching) and my throat is sore where they pulled out the tube

Back