• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone else from Bradford?

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
Hi all,
I have just been referred for wls by my gp last week and I have a million questions. How long did it take until you found out if funding had been granted. I have no idea what the timescales are and would love to chat with someone who has been through the same thing in bradford. :confused:

Evenstarr

Hi, I'm from Barnsley, so not to far from you.
Do you know which hospital you'll be referred to?
I think I'm being referred to The Royal Hallamshire in Sheffield and from what I've read on here it seems to take about 6-8 months in this area.
Some people seem to get their ops even sooner and others have to wait upto about 18 months.
You've definitely come to the right place though, everyone on here is lovely and friendly and really supportive xxxx

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
We have the bradford royal infirmary and also some get referred to the yorkshire clinic. i should qualify as I have at least 2 co morbidities - type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. i just wish they would give you an idea of how long you will wait to find out

Evenstarr

If you check the BOSPA website it lists the criteria for each area.
I have the same co morbidities as you and meet my PCT criteria, I'm guessing when we get to see someone at the hospital we'll get more of an idea of timescales etc.
I was referred a few days before you so we'll have to keep track of each others progress!
Em xxxx

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
its so good to have someone to talk to about this. :D

nikshikari

I am from Bradford. From my first referral to surgery it had taken me just over 18 months. I am now 4 weeks post op and I had my surgery at Yorkshire clinic.

WobblyW

Hi,

I'm from Leeds, I was referred by GP in January, and have an appointment to see Dietician in May.
Have at least 3 co morbidities - High Blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea.

XXX
W

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
omg 12 months that seems so quick yet so far away at the same time. if i get funding i think that i will be a band or a sleeve. i have read it is the best chance of getting rid of my diabetes.

do they often refer people to leeds from the bradford area?

Punkwitch

Hi. I'm from Bradford too. Its taken 13 months and am due to have my sleeve in 4 weeks. u should get funding due to ur comorbitities. U usually find out within two months. u are then asked to choose ur provider. i chose bradford. all 3 surgeons there are brilliant and very highly trained. some of us recently got referred to yorkshire clinic due to long waiting lists. I would spend plenty of time researching the sleeve and the bypass, forget the band. Bradford hardly do any because the sleeve and bypass are much more effective ~ consultants words not mine. u are at the start of an exciting journey and u have come to the right place, u will get lots of support and advice here xxx

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
Thank you so much for the info. It's answered so many of my questions. I started off looking at the band but quickly realised that I would end up being a sleeve or a bypass. The main aim is to cure my diabetes and the band only gives you a 30% chance. I know it sounds odd but I have never minded being big. Obviously when I have had people being mean in the street I felt bad. But its never been about my dress size. I am that jolly fat bird!! But I am poorly. I have to inject insulin and my blood pressure is high. I don't want to go the way my nan did at 42 I've seen the photos and I am the spitting image of her. I just hope.I get funding. I honestly don't know what I will do if I get refused.

Evenstarr

I checked the criteria for Bradford PCT. and it just says 'BMI over 40' , no mention of co morbidities, so it looks good for you getting funding!
Do you know what I'm panicking about? My dog chewing up my letter before I get to it, she always likes to have a quick bite before bringing us the post! :eek:

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
I had a friend whose dog was a terror at doing that she had to get a little wire box thing for her door. Id be hiding in a bush waiting to pounce on the postman if I were you I know I'm going to be terrible at waiting for post xxxx

Mandz66

Ha ha I have had to put an external letter box on the outside wall of my house. My dog has eaten cheques, new car docs etc etc, he's a rascal. Good luck all with your wl journeys :)

Punkwitch

My acceptance letter went to my doctors not my home address. The doctors receptionist got in touch and asked me to make an appointment but wouldnt say why. When I went I was told I'd been given funding and was asked to choose a provider. I didnt have a clue what the doctor was on about lol. But I chose Bradford as it would be easiest to get to and afterwards found out that Bradford has a fantastic reputation for bariatric surgery.

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
Did you have to see a dietician first or the consultant. Every area seems to do something different. I'm sorry I'm all questions. It's just such a relief to be able to speak to someone whose been through it xxx

Punkwitch

Ask as muc h as u want! First u get an appt which says its to see a consultant ~ but u actually see a member of their staff. They will talk u thru ur options then arrange an appt for a sleep apnea test and to see the dietician. the sleep apnea test is just that u pick a machine up one day and take it back the next morning and then wait for results. it is on a wristband and u have a clip on ur finger. it doesnt hurt and u can pretend u are ET in the dark with it lol. dietician just wants to know ur food history, previous diets tried, whether u eat too large portions or the wrong stuff... or both! She will go through ur options again so u can have a think. the dietician is not judgemental ~ none of the people u see are, they are all friendly. once the sleep apnea test is back and the dietician has sent their reoirt, u get to see the consultant and he will put u on the waiting list for whichever op u have both agreed upon. if it turns out u have sleep apnea u see a different doctor before the consultant to sort it out and start using a mask. sleep apnea doesnt prevent u from having the surgery, the test is to keep u safe by having no suprises on operation day. finally u will have a pre op assessment, bloods, urine, ecg etc. again the nurses are lovely and treat u with dignity. and thats the journey! Bradford have a support group of pre op and post op people that meet on the last wednesday of every month at manningham mills. its great to talk to other people who are going through or have gone through the same thing. i highly recommend it. i hope this helps!!! Xxx

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
That's helped a lot xx. I'll Def check out.that group

ashlie1985

Honestly the group is lovely this month it's one of the surgeons talking about new procedures it's at 6.30 at manning ham mills x

yviec1972

playing the waiting game
What date is it?