• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone in WARRINGTON or nearby having or had gastric bypass love to hear from you

*Helen*

Hi folks

Is there anyone living in WARRINGTON or nearby having or had gastric bypass? Love to share experiences. Having mine on June 26th at the Regency Hospital in Macclesfield (on NHS). Very excited & nervous at the same time.

Love to hear from anyone

Helen

hi helen i live in wales but i had a bypass nearly 1 year ago it was the best thing i ever done ive lost nearly 8 stone and feel great, no doubt u will have posts off people here who have either had or are going to have it done where you are take care xxx

Hi Georgina
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what it is like afterwards? I'm really excited but nervous at the same time. Not sure what to expect just after having the op. How long was you sore for? When could you start eating again? Sorry for all the questions, but it is better to hear from someone who has had the op rather than the medics.
Thanks
Helen

Hi Helen

As you know I'm having the bypass at the regency too and hoping it will be not long after you. I live in Chorley, Lancs so not that far xx

Hi folks

Is there anyone living in WARRINGTON or nearby having or had gastric bypass? Love to share experiences. Having mine on June 26th at the Regency Hospital in Macclesfield (on NHS). Very excited & nervous at the same time.

Love to hear from anyone

Helen

Hi Helen, I've just been awarded the funding and I'm terrified. I live near Macclesfield, but will probably have surgery at The Alexandra hospital in cheadle - no date yet. Please let us know how your op goes - even the nasty bits! Good luck to you!
All the best
Kate

Hi Georgina, I have been awarded the funding for a bypass and now feel physically sick at the thought. I keep getting told(by friends) I will be incontinent afterwards, will be restricted in my diet etc, etc. I have a few questions 1.Do you suffer any pain now as a result of the op? 2. Is there anything you cannot eat once healed - although I appreciate it will be very small amounts! 3. What was recovery like?
Thanks
Kate
XX

Hi Kate,
I had my op at the Alexandra hospital in Cheadle 2 weeks and am feeling great. Not incontinence at all, don't know where that came from!!!
The staff are great and my surgeon, Basil Amorri was brilliant. A couple of my wounds have pretty much healed up.
Good luck!
xx

Hi Kate

You probably won't have to wait long now for your op, it seems that waiting for funding is the longest wait. At least you've got the funding you now know it is going to happen.

I'm hoping there won't be too many nasty bits to it, but like you I have been trying to find them out of other people. I feel that is the hardest bit just not knowing how i'm going to feel just after the op and the following weeks after.

If anyone has already had the op, please share your experiences with me I want to know what to expect good and bad bits (especially the bad) so that I can fully prepare myself.

Helen

Hi lottietat

Can I ask if you are still in much pain now and can you get about ok yet? I have thre small kids (2,4 & 5) and want to know how long I am going to need help with them, even if I'm going to be able to make the walk up to school and nursery.

Do you feel sick all the time or just when you eat?

Sorry for asking all these questions, I am just so cursiously and eager to find out how it feels afterwards. Having mine in just under 4 weeks time.

Thanks
Helen

Hi Lottie, Thanks for the info, I'm hoping Dr Ashton will do my op - you probably had one of his team who are all reputed to be brilliant! I would be pleased to hear how you get on over the next few weeks as I'm still at the 'bricking myself' stage. The incontinence info came from an NHS physiotherapist and radiographer, so lets hope they've just seen some bad ones!!
All the best for a slimmer you!!!
Kate
XXX

Hi Helen, best of luck to you! I'm trying to stay positive as someone somewhere always has some problems with any operation. I still feel though that the weight we are carrying is just as dangerous, if not more so! I'm 42 and still fit and healthy fortunately, but I don't think I aught to wait until 50!!
All the best
Kate
XXX

Hi Helen,
I was only uncomfortable for about 5-7 days, fortunately I wasn't really in pain as I couldn't drink the disolvable pain killers!!! Urgh!
I would say for the first week you are very tired and would definately need help with the children. The smallest of things tire you out. As for the walking to nursery/school, not too sure. I was very sluggish walking about and couldn't walk too far, so depends on how far your walk is! If you can, I would try and get help for a couple of weeks. I don't have children and have a wonderful husband who has been brilliant. I feel really well and can't believe I have had no pain, sickness or anything.
I don't really feel hungry, I just know I have to eat to keep me going! I am having cravings for carbs and would murder some chips or jacket potato, or any kind of potato to be honest!! Last night I was dreaming about a chow mein!!!!
In general, I feel fantastic, you would never know I have had it done to be honest!! I think Mr Amorri must have made 5 incisions, wiggled his instruments around in me for a bit so I was sore for a few days and then did nothing else!!!
Seeing my consultant on Saturday for the first time since my op, so hopefully things will be fine.
xx

Hi Kate,
Yes, it was Basil Amorri who did my bypass and I believe he is one of the top 3 surgeons in this field in the UK. Once you get past the stage of worrying, you will just be excited and wanting the op immediately. I got this feeling about 10 days prior to the op and was only focussing on the future and not thinking about the op. The op went really smoothly, and I am now 16 days post op and apart from me eating small amounts, you wouldn't know I have had it done!! I am still feeling tired if I push myself too much, but I have also just come down with a stinking cold and chesty cough which doesn't help!!
If you can, just think of Christmas and how much lighter you will be and then other small goals, and try not to think about the op too much. It is over before you know it and your new life will be started!!!
xx

Last edited:
Hi Lottietat, Thanks very much for that. I have made the decision to go through with it and it's mainly to do with all the girls on here. It's great to have the support. Have you seen the food diary one of the other girls has done on here - can't think of her name, but some of her food plans may help you over the next few weeks! I am looking forward to being able to actually fit in the rides at Alton towers again and being able to ski without a half mile breaking distance!
Keep me posted on progress, you've made this girl one much happier bunny already!
Best wishes
Kate
XX

Hi Kate,
Great news tht you have decided to go ahead with it, I am so pleased for you. I made some homemade soups today and they were lovely as I was so fed up with the tinned soups all tasting the same!
I am looking forward to being able to goto Alton Towers again and to ski! I live near the Trafford Centre where they have a ski slope with real snow and I can't wait to have a go!!
Let me know when you get a date for the op.

Take care & keep positive
xx

I'm high jacking the thread to see if you all know about the Manchester meet planned for June??? Everyone welcome and maybe some of you would enjoy getting together face to face?? Look on the meetings thread on the main forum.

Hi Lottietat,
I've seen the snow centre at the trafford centre and I'm hoping to take the kids there for some toboganing and skiing in the summer hols - looks like great fun! I need to lose about 7 stone just to fit my mens large size ski pants again!.
I live in Cheshire in a small village called Chelford near Alderley edge.
I am glad you're enjoying the soup, the good thing is you can make a big pan full and freeze some for later reference!
I am having a meeting in a couple of weeks to check whether or not I have sleep apneoa (which I doubt, but Dr Ashton needed some ammunition to throw at the PCT and we came up with that!), and then it's just a case of requesting a date - ulp!
I was wondering how long you think I may need to take off work after the op. I work at a nursing agency in Burnage 4 nights a week which can involve a lot of driving and going out doing homecare around manchester. I've got a feeling two weeks won't be long enough as I get quite tired doing the job now! Any thoughts as your nearly three weeks in now? I just want to give them a rough idea at work, although I realise everyone is different.
Best wishes
Kate
XXX

Helen - good luck with the surgery. Can I just jump in on this post please?

Nic318 - I live in Padiham near Burnley. Small world eh?

I have asked my GP about surgery and they flat refused. I am 5`4", 18 stone and my BMI is 43 I think. Do I just not meet the criteria do you think?

Good luck Helen with the forth coming surgery, I had my op five weeks ago and up to press everything is fine! I think you will find that you will need more than two weeks off from work, I went into my op weighing 20st (lost 1 stone on pre op diet) and nurses informed me that I was one of the lightest to have the surgery perfomed on, I had a reasonable fitness level I ride and look after my two horses it took me about three week before I felt up to working again. But I think that you should just take it one day at a time and dont push yourself, or you will be sore! hope this helps somewhat and would love to hear how your op goes xxx
caroline

Hi Kate,

I know Chelford & Alderley Edge, I used to babysit in Alderley Edge in the house next door to where the Beckhams used to live!!
I live in Cheadle which is further down the A34.
I have taken 3 weeks off work and hoping to go back on Monday. I see Dr Ashton on Saturday to check that my wounds are ok and everything is good so far. I have needed 3 weeks off as I felt so tired, but I am sure it is upto the individual. If you have quite an active job, then you will need at least 3 weeks off I would say.
Good luck!
xx

Back