• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone in WARRINGTON or nearby having or had gastric bypass love to hear from you

Hi Kay

Oooh your not so far away from me then! As for the funding I thought the criteria was BMI 40!

Have you checked the Nice guidelines?

Nic xx

Helen - good luck with the surgery. Can I just jump in on this post please?

Nic318 - I live in Padiham near Burnley. Small world eh?

I have asked my GP about surgery and they flat refused. I am 5`4", 18 stone and my BMI is 43 I think. Do I just not meet the criteria do you think?

Hi Kay

I was told the criteria was a BMI of 40 and 35 if related health problems. My GP referred me when I had a BMI of 40.5 but by the time I had an appointment it had gone up to 43. If your GP refuses to refer you see another doctor as you should at least get a referral to a consultant and then it would be up to them. It seems a bit unfair. I have seen the consultant with a BMI of 43.6 and they doing my op in a couple of weeks and there was never any problems in regards to doing it and my BMI.

I would see another doctor if I was you and I hope you get better luck.

Helen

hi helen and kate hope you are both doing ok if u need any help let me know il b glad to answer any questions for u had my bypass done 1 year ago and lost 8 stone so going good best thing i ever done if u need help or answers just mail me or msn me ok its [email protected] xxx

Thanks Helen and Nic - I will try again with the GP. I see a different one everytime I go so maybe one may be more receptive than the other.

Hi kay,
have you tried putting it in writing all the problems you are suffering due to your weight, health as well as emotional suffering, included in it plus all the attempts previously to loose weight, If you gave this to your doctor the next time that you went to see him it should give you a bit more clought in getting to see the surgeon.
My own personal thought is I think its disgusting that you have been turned down, when you get to a point in your life that you know surgery is the only option the last thing you need is someone telling you to go away and diet........errr hang on dont you think we have tried that already!!! Doctors put so many illnesses down to obesity surely the best course of action for them is to help their patients with something that would help them the best. Yep I know there is limited funding but in the long run surely a person that is overweight will cost more on the nhs than someone that has lost weight through the op!
sorry about ranting on hun, but it makes my blood boil at times, I can understand how desperate you are to have the surgery and start to loose the weight been there done that, I have all fingers crossed that it goes better for you this time xxxx

HI Georgina,
It was wonderful to get your message as I was hoping to find someone who was further down the road with this op. I was wondering how much you can actually eat at mealtimes and the sort of food you can now eat. I know that theoretically you can try everything after a certain amount of time, but that people have problems eating meat. Have you any regrets at all or has losing the weight outweighed them?
It must be wonderful to be able to buy clothes in normal shops again, If I lost 8 stone I'd almost be able to fit my wedding dress again which is one of my weight loss goals!
All the best
Kate
XX

Hi Lottietat,
Great info thanks - I should be able to squeeze a month out of them then - yipee!
I know Cheadle well, I often drive around there at night putting old dears to bed. My favourite shop is John Lewis's, I just wish I could fit in some of the clothes there - sigh!
Have you lost any weight yet?
Best wishes
Kate
XX

Hey Helen how are you getting on? Would be interested to hear what the liver shrinking diet you are on consists of, as i'm at the Regency too.

Shel

Waiting lists for gastric bypass

Hey

Just reading your notes on the forum and noticed you also live in Chorley. Just looking for some advice. Are you having your Gastric bypass done by the NHS and if so how long did the process take from the point your GP refered you for funding to your appointment coming through?
I am waiting to hear back from funding but it seems to be such a long process :rolleyes:

It would be great to hear back from you and anyone who as any answers lol :)

Nat x

Hi Helen

As you know I'm having the bypass at the regency too and hoping it will be not long after you. I live in Chorley, Lancs so not that far xx

Hi Natp18,
I went to see a Dr Ashton at the Alex private hospital in Cheadle. It was paid for privately and cost £150. It was worth every penny as he wrote to the HNS and got my funding which took about 6 - 8 weeks to be approved. Hope this helps!
All the best
Kate
XX

Hi lottietat and Kate - I'm also under Dr Ashton and will be operated on by Basil Ammori at the Alexandra in Cheadle on the 16th August, great to hear that he's good and that you have had a good op with Dr Ammori

Richard

Hi Hun

Thanks for that advise,so will Alexandra actually be doing the procedure and the NHS are paying for it?
I am so stressed I have been refered to the PCT for funding and its been about a month now .I have just been advised I am at the back of a long line of 60 and if further people come in who are more needy then the wait will be longer.I just dont think that my GP as put enough in his referal letter.
Do you mind if I ask what Primary Care trust you come under and what your BMI is?

Thanks
Nat :)

Hi lottietat and Kate - I'm also under Dr Ashton and will be operated on by Basil Ammori at the Alexandra in Cheadle on the 16th August, great to hear that he's good and that you have had a good op with Dr Ammori

Richard

Hi Nat, welcome to this part of mini's. The wait for funding can be a long one, but believe me it's worth it in the end! Just keep the goal in sight and you'll get there.

Keep in touch with the PCT, sometimes you get a snotty jobsworth answering the phone and they don't always give accurate information.

Hi Hun

Thanks for that advise,so will Alexandra actually be doing the procedure and the NHS are paying for it?
I am so stressed I have been refered to the PCT for funding and its been about a month now .I have just been advised I am at the back of a long line of 60 and if further people come in who are more needy then the wait will be longer.I just dont think that my GP as put enough in his referal letter.
Do you mind if I ask what Primary Care trust you come under and what your BMI is?

Thanks

Hi Nat

I'm going private for mine, thankfully i'm in a position to be able to afford to pay for it and as taking lots of time of work costs me money i ellected to go private, so i dont have the worries about funding that you guys do.....I'm also really impaitent too, once i've made my mind up about something it has to happen.

Take care and hang on in there.

Richard

Hi folks

Is there anyone living in WARRINGTON or nearby having or had gastric bypass? Love to share experiences. Having mine on June 26th at the Regency Hospital in Macclesfield (on NHS). Very excited & nervous at the same time.

Love to hear from anyone

Helen
Hi Helen I live in Bury Lancs so not far at all away from where you are. I had the bypass done at manchester royal infirmary nearly 6 weeks ago. It's not been an easy road but know it's the best thing i could have done for my health and to enjoy my 2 little girls. I've lost over 2 1/2 stone so it definately works. Have you got a date for your op? x

Hey Hun

Thanks for the advise and as for the snotty jobsworth I guess you have spoke with my PCT before lol,They are the most unhelpfull and inpolite people that I have ever spoke with.
They wont even speak with me and as for asking questions thats a no go!!!
I have never felt so much stress and anguish as I have recently dealing with my PCT :cry:
I only wish I was in a financial position to be able to fund it myself than having to go through the stress of dealing with my GP and PCT.As for PALS they dont seem to have a clue and cant help as they have said its a grey area.

oh well I can only wait lol

Hi Nat, welcome to this part of mini's. The wait for funding can be a long one, but believe me it's worth it in the end! Just keep the goal in sight and you'll get there.

Keep in touch with the PCT, sometimes you get a snotty jobsworth answering the phone and they don't always give accurate information.

Hi Richard

Your very lucky that you are in a position to be able to go private,unfortunatly the quotes that I was recieving for the Gastric Bypass were far to high ,just out of intrest where are you having it done and whats the price?

Thanks for the message

Hi Nat

I'm going private for mine, thankfully i'm in a position to be able to afford to pay for it and as taking lots of time of work costs me money i ellected to go private, so i dont have the worries about funding that you guys do.....I'm also really impaitent too, once i've made my mind up about something it has to happen.

Take care and hang on in there.

Richard

Hi Hun

Thanks

Hi Natp18,
I went to see a Dr Ashton at the Alex private hospital in Cheadle. It was paid for privately and cost £150. It was worth every penny as he wrote to the HNS and got my funding which took about 6 - 8 weeks to be approved. Hope this helps!
All the best
Kate
XX

Back