• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone know the waiting times for Salford Royal?

Hi, I was referred for surgery on 16th January and been eagerly awaiting an appointment with the surgeon. I phoned today (28/2)to see where they were up to and ive been told that it'll be at least another 14 weeks before I see a surgeon. God only knows how long it will be after that for the operation. Feeling really demotivated at the minute. Last time I had any input was October, im not even sure what happens when I see the surgeon, will he set me more goals? Anyone have any idea on the wait times and process's? I've been on a program in Chester and now referred to Salford for surgery as Chester have stopped doing it xxx

Thanks, I called them again but couldn't get any further information really. The surgeon has to pass me for surgery as he's the one performing it, so I'm guessing they may all have differing criteria. Some people on here are saying they had to spend a night in hospital doing sleep apnoea tests but none of that's ever been mentioned to me. I tried phoning Chester too but they said they know nothing as ive been passed to Salford. :(

sleep apnoea test is done at home, pick the machine up then drop it off morning after. what have you already done at chester?

Oh really? That's much better then. I started seeing dietician in Jan 2016 in Chester, she was really lovely. Set me realistic weight loss targets which I had to attain before each new meeting. I've also seen the consultant there, they did a screening questionnaire for sleep apnoea which I scored nothing on. There was also a psychological screening and I was told I didn't have to see the psychologist either. I've attended information afternoons and a mindful eating programme. Where are you up to? X

my referral to Salford was august 2016 after completing 6 months of dietician appointments. met the surgeon done sleep study, seen psychologist and having my pre op this Friday 17th

Oh that's amazing, really happy ive found someone else doing this through Salford. I just thought I'd see the surgeon then be booked in for op. Didn't realise there would be more hurdles. I've got a letter today with an appointment to see one if Dr Ammori's team next month. Is that to discuss psychology and sleep test? X

when I met surgeon it was to discuss which op was best for me, had sleep test within a month of that appointment. the psychology was the last hurdle before pre op. It may be that you skip certain things if you already covered them. waiting is the worst isn't it ?

Yep waiting is awful, it's really difficult trying to stay motivated when you don't feel that you're moving forward. I'm terrible at dieting but it was easier knowing that I was being assessed every month by dietician. I havnt seen anyone from the team since October so panicking that they'll refuse the surgery if ive put on weight :( But logically if I could diet perfectly for all that time then I wouldn't need an op. I'm not sure how they see things. So have you had to wait from August just to get a pre op? Xx

yes and before that did 6 months with weight management team in Bolton, that's the dietician. I agree its far easier to stay focused at first. Since my referral to Salford I ve concentrated on water intake, changing to decaf, learning about protein and most important my self worth. I want my head to keep up with my weight loss.

yes and before that did 6 months with weight management team in Bolton, that's the dietician. I agree its far easier to stay focused at first. Since my referral to Salford I ve concentrated on water intake, changing to decaf, learning about protein and most important my self worth. I want my head to keep up with my weight loss.
How did the pre op go?

I think it went ok, nurse said they would get in touch if any blood results need a retest. No op date as yet but within 12 wks. nurse said. Didn't gain any weight which I am very relieved at.

Ah that's great, it must feel good knowing you've finally got a time frame. I've got an appointment on Thursday to see the consultant but another appointment has just come through to see psychology in SEPTEMBER! I nearly cried. I think I'm looking at another year!

Ah that's great, it must feel good knowing you've finally got a time frame. I've got an appointment on Thursday to see the consultant but another appointment has just come through to see psychology in SEPTEMBER! I nearly cried. I think I'm looking at another year!
is it your appointment this week?

is it your appointment this week?
Yes had it yesterday. Saw dietician, nurse a professor and the consultant. I'd already done the nurse and dietician bits in Chester last year but had to do it again. At least things are moving forward though. How are you? Did op go well? X

Back