• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone watching or saw This Morning this morning...?

SleeveGirl

Lots on This Morning about WLS...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Lots of negative comments I thought, although oddly I do like to hear the negatives.

Yes I have watched part of it! For some one who's fortunate to qualify for surgery in the NHS. It looks like they are saying we are crippling the NHS and the doctor said "it cant go ON" . There is obviously an obesity crisis out there. For some who are at the beginning of their journey this is worrying. I do feel they will go back to very strict guidelines as they are now realizing its costing too much to do everyone. What you will get then is the rise of deaths through obesity illnesses. Its sad I feel as i would never been able to afford it unless I took out a loan on my mortgage. Sad times for some.
Hiw far sleeve girl are you in your journey and are you nhs?

Really wish they'd say some more positives. I know everyone has to be aware of the negatives, but WLS has changed some peoples lives for the better.

I am 1 year and 6 months along (nearly), I have lost exactly 100lbs - I have been at the same weight for a few months now, which I am totally happy with, if I loose anymore my team will get worried. I went private as I did not qualify under the NHS, although I did try to get the surgery done on the NHS.

Are you having your surgery this month Sharona?

Hi all, I watched this morning, and actually e-mailed in to say some people do have positive experiences, and it was hearing negative experiences that made me keep putting it off for about 5 years - and in which time I had a large PE (a clot in my lung) that could of been fatal, if I had of had the surgery earlier maybe I wouldn't of suffered this!!!
I had a sleeve on 3rd jan 2014, and have so far lost 8 stone (as of Saturday) and gone from a size 26-28 to a 16-18. I am SO pleased with my results, and feel SO much better!!! Wish we could hear a few more positives!!!!
Love salliebeth xxx

I haven't seen it but will probably watch it on catch up!

I had my op a year ago tomorrow. Have so far lost 9st and I'm 28 weeks pregnant. I'm 25 years old and was lucky enough to have my bypass done on the NHS. Along with having my gorgeous baby boy and getting married; having the op is one of the BEST things I have EVER done!!

There are loads of positive stories out there but they don't make good stories do they? It's such a shame x

I saw it, I'm 4 days post op so lots going on in my head! It was a shame there wasn't a few more positives showcased. I also felt the first caller wasn't a good candidate in the first place! She talked about still being able to cheat her band and then her sleeve! Well of course if you are going to actively work against your procedure you are not going to have a good experience. And I'm making that comment as an emotional eater myself!

Well a person saying, oh I had gastric surgery and I've lost the weight and kept it off and feel so much better, isn't going to make exciting t.v watching, its a shame really that it wasn't more balanced so folks that were thinking of going for it had both points of view

I am sure its all political and that they purposely only took the one sided view.

Most thin people do not know what its like to struggle with weight and even worse they think that all over weight people have put them selves in that position and therefore why should they pay for us to loose weight.

Little do they know how hard it is for us and even with the surgery we struggle every day to stick to our plans to loose weight. It's just like people blaming alcoholics and drug addicts for being addicted. Although I do think there is a more understanding of the addicts of drugs and alcohol now then there used to be, so maybe in time people will come round to those of us with weight issues and realize we are doing our best to loose the weight and just like the alcoholics and drug addicts we also need help and support, and sometimes the best solution is WLS for us.

All the years I have been overweight, I have been told that its my own fault, and I think this needs to be addressed and people need to be made aware that most people do not want to be fat and that it is a daily struggle for us.

Really wish they'd say some more positives. I know everyone has to be aware of the negatives, but WLS has changed some peoples lives for the better. I am 1 year and 6 months along (nearly), I have lost exactly 100lbs - I have been at the same weight for a few months now, which I am totally happy with, if I loose anymore my team will get worried. I went private as I did not qualify under the NHS, although I did try to get the surgery done on the NHS. Are you having your surgery this month Sharona?
Hi sleevegirl well done on getting so far. And an extra well done on that massive 100ibs Weight loss!! Fantastic! Im having surgery end of the month. Did you have a sleeve or bypass? X

Just watched it on the website. I do wish programmes would find better people to put on there. Grgrgrg

I think they thought it was balanced because they had Tina Malone on the other day saying how great her gastric band is!!

I watched it and ended up feeling really down all day and thinking 'what the hell have I done!' I haven't even lost the weight yet and I'm terrified I'll end up putting it back on and will have gone through this for nothing. Of worse still I'll end up being really ill with complications :(

There was a doctor on the news about 2 days ago saying that having the surgery is saving the NHS a load of money because of all the illnesses it prevents. He was all for these surgeries taking place.

Debbie

Hi all, I watched this morning, and actually e-mailed in to say some people do have positive experiences, and it was hearing negative experiences that made me keep putting it off for about 5 years - and in which time I had a large PE (a clot in my lung) that could of been fatal, if I had of had the surgery earlier maybe I wouldn't of suffered this!!!
I had a sleeve on 3rd jan 2014, and have so far lost 8 stone (as of Saturday) and gone from a size 26-28 to a 16-18. I am SO pleased with my results, and feel SO much better!!! Wish we could hear a few more positives!!!!
Love salliebeth xxx

@ Salliebeth You have done brilliantly, well done :) xx

I haven't seen it but will probably watch it on catch up!

I had my op a year ago tomorrow. Have so far lost 9st and I'm 28 weeks pregnant. I'm 25 years old and was lucky enough to have my bypass done on the NHS. Along with having my gorgeous baby boy and getting married; having the op is one of the BEST things I have EVER done!!

There are loads of positive stories out there but they don't make good stories do they? It's such a shame x

@ Flickalicious Congratulations on the pregnancy hun :) 9st, that is amazing xx

Well a person saying, oh I had gastric surgery and I've lost the weight and kept it off and feel so much better, isn't going to make exciting t.v watching, its a shame really that it wasn't more balanced so folks that were thinking of going for it had both points of view

Very true @Butterfly_lady xx

I am sure its all political and that they purposely only took the one sided view.

Most thin people do not know what its like to struggle with weight and even worse they think that all over weight people have put them selves in that position and therefore why should they pay for us to loose weight.

Little do they know how hard it is for us and even with the surgery we struggle every day to stick to our plans to loose weight. It's just like people blaming alcoholics and drug addicts for being addicted. Although I do think there is a more understanding of the addicts of drugs and alcohol now then there used to be, so maybe in time people will come round to those of us with weight issues and realize we are doing our best to loose the weight and just like the alcoholics and drug addicts we also need help and support, and sometimes the best solution is WLS for us.

All the years I have been overweight, I have been told that its my own fault, and I think this needs to be addressed and people need to be made aware that most people do not want to be fat and that it is a daily struggle for us.

@Sephem It is a struggle and to be honest even at the point I am at I still feel like it is my own fault. Even after a year and a half I still haven't made it 'public' that I have had the sleeve... Too scared about the people who judge, which I know I shouldn't be. Congrats on your progress so far :)

Hi sleevegirl well done on getting so far. And an extra well done on that massive 100ibs Weight loss!! Fantastic! Im having surgery end of the month. Did you have a sleeve or bypass? X

Thank you @Sharona :) I had a Sleeve. Good luck hun :) x

I think they thought it was balanced because they had Tina Malone on the other day saying how great her gastric band is!!

I watched it and ended up feeling really down all day and thinking 'what the hell have I done!' I haven't even lost the weight yet and I'm terrified I'll end up putting it back on and will have gone through this for nothing. Of worse still I'll end up being really ill with complications :(

@Su2ie I didn't see the Tina Malone ep...
The only advice I would give is to follow your providers guidelines down to the T xx

Back