• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Apronectomy Funding Journey

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
I've been keeping a track of my journey for funding in my diary, but I'm aware it is an epic read so I thought I might track the funding in its own thread :)

I originally approached my GP in Feb 09, when I reached a BMI of 25.8, as the criteria here in Wirral is a BMI of less than 26. Another criteria is maintaining that for 2 years, but I asked for a referral to the exceptional circumstances panel due to recurrent skin problems. Shortly after that I fell pregnant, so it all got put on hold.

I went back to my GP in June, and he pulled up the original PCT reply, who said they wanted additional information and backing from a consultant, so I was referred to dermatology.

This morning, I've seen the dermatologist, who agrees that an apronectomy and abdominoplasty would resolve my skin issues. I get recurrent tummy button infections due to a large over hang just above it, and irritation around my groin due to the weight of my stomach making everything hang lower. :eek:

She is going to write to my GP, who hopefully will then write to the PCT again.

I was thinking of contacting the surgery next week to see if they have had the letter from the derm, and then make an appointment with the GP to get him on the ball. He is very good though and will back me all the way.

If they refuse now, it is just a case of waiting till February and applying again, but I am aware of funding being reduced and pulled everywhere so am hoping to get through ASAP.

Good luck and really hoping that the funding is approved... much love xxx

good luck Shel. Will be keeping everything tightly crossed for you x

Best of british to you Shel... xx

Thanks all :)

Best wishes Shel, and thanks for sharing about this too as It will help others in the future.

Fingers crossed for you xx

Time for a quick update. I checked that the GP had received the letter from the derm, and went in to see him today. He said the letter is the best he could have asked for, and he's now going to write back to the PCT with a copy of the letter to ask for funding under exceptional circumstances. He said that he doesn't see why they wouldn't agree with that letter as backing, but with funding policies changing left right and centre we have to hope they haven't changed the criteria or cancelled all funding in the meantime. He's not sure how long it will take to hear anything back, but last time they were quite quick. I assume though if they agree to put it to the exceptional circumstances panel that could take a while depending on when they are due to meet.

I'll check in 1 week that the letter has been sent, and then a few weeks later for a reply I suppose. My GP is great at doing things quickly and efficiently so not too concerned there.

All in all, quite positive :)

Great news Shel. Keeping everything tightly crossed.

great news = hope it you get it luv xxx

Back