• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Here - Apronectomy on NHS

Rustyangel

Hi all

Congratulations to everyone on their weight loss which has led them here. :D

Having read through a lot of posts, it's clearly a total lottery whether you are approved for a TT on the NHS based on where you live and the PCT criteria!

I visited my GP in September having lost over 8 stone, depressed about the way my body looked and getting repeated infections due to the overhanging tummy. She said at the time that my chances of getting NHS funding for surgery were very low but that she would fully support my application. I went away and wrote a lengthy letter to the PCT, accompanied by photos and a record of my weight loss (through Slimming World) and didn't hear anything until last week when the GP rang me to say that funding had been approved subject to me seeing a consultant.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been turned down for surgery by the consultant after funding has been agreed? I'm so pleased that funding is there and feel incredibly lucky to have got this far, but so very scared that I could still get turned down.

Also, can anyone tell me how long I am likely to need off work post-op if all goes well?

Thanks for any advice or info you can offer.

Debs

I don't have the answers to this question, hopefully, someone with a similar experience will come back to you, but I just want to stop by and wish you all the very best on your journey... love and hugs xxx

Bless you, keep in touch and we are here if you need a shoulder... I shall be thinking of you.

Love and hugs precious xxx

I to am on the waiting list for a tt but thankfully have not had the journey you had, I saw my GP in September last year who referred me to a plastic surgeon who agreed to the surgery in October 2010 on the condition I get my BMI to 25 and I have been on the waiting list since 14th December having reached the goal he set, I am told that the waiting list is around 12 to 18 weeks :) so congratulations on getting this far.

As for the time needed off work I have been told that I am having the Fleur de lyes tummy tuck and will need around 6 weeks off work and I am office based, hope this helps

Thank you for your replies everyone. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much in case things go pear-shaped.

Well done Madstaffyblonde on getting to that point, you deserve it and I'm really chuffed for you. What is a Fleur De Lys TT?

I have just come back from the hospital and we were told under the present financial climate that excess skin removal would be very unlikely.

A fleur de leyes tummy tuck is where you have a vertical cut and a horizontal one so that all skin is pulled tight :)

Thanks for the replies and explanations. BigandBouncy were you already granted funding then told it was a no-go by the consultant? If so, I'm really worried. I hope there is some way for you to re-apply xx

Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation to you at the moment. I've had my funding for a TT approved by my PCT and I have an appointment to see a Consultant on 21st of Feb. I am bricking it big time as I have been, according to my psychologists report 'severely depressed' for the past few years about my tummy. My tummy tuck journey has been ongoing since May 2010 and if I get turned down by the Consultant I honestly don't think I could cope at all. I've posted details of my journey on here under the thread 'Save my marriage'.

I'll let you know how I get on and it'll be great to hear how you do too.

Best wishes,

Em.

Thanks for the replies. I finally have an appointment to meet with the plastic/ reconstructive surgery team on 18th March....eek! Will let you know what happens.

Debs xx

Well I saw the consultant this morning and it's all systems go and i'm being booked in for some time in May. Apparently i'm having straightforward abdominoplasty (skin only) and don't need the fleur de lys or muscle repair. She told me to expect up to a week in hospital and four to six weeks off work and went through all the things which can go wrong. I have to attend an evening seminar where people having similar surgery get to see pictures of others pre and post op and get told exactly what to expect and I also have to go in for a pre-op thing where apparently I can expect a grilling (deep joy). I'm happy that today went well but must confess that I am now sh***ing a brick about the whole thing. Sorry if that sounds ungrateful but what she said scared me a lot!

Debs xx

Thats great news Debs :D Im really chuffed for you.....dont worry about the pre-op you just be honest and how can they argue with that :D XX

Hi Jacqui

I'm not that worried about the pre-op, i'm much more worried about the risks of surgery. The consultant explained that because I was so much bigger, the blood vessels in my tummy still think they are supplying much more flesh (she described them as motorways when they should be 'A' roads lol) so the risks of blood loss and blood clots are very high. Also I have a high platelet count which actually puts me at higher risk of clotting etc. It's left me questioning whether it's worth the risk? I feel fitter and healthier than I ever have and I'm signing up for something which could potentially put my life at risk. All I can think about is my son and how much he needs me around. It's probably just a knee-jerk reaction to being made aware of things which are possible rather than probable complications...it will pass......hopefully!

Thanks for your reply.

Debs xxxxx

I understand how worrying it is having surgery, they do have to tell you all the risks etc and it makes for scary listening lol. Try and do a little bit of research online about the success of TT's and it might make you feel a little more relaxed about it. Theres a few members here that have had them and I cant remember any of them having problems :D Hope it goes well for you XX

Hiya hun
Well done on getting your funding:D can i ask what PCT you are under? I am under Surrey PCT as i live in Epsom and applied for funding after i got the all clear from my surgeon, but they have refused funding (i have posted a thread about it) i just wondered if you was under same PCT and what hospital are you under too?

Hiya Shaz

I'm under Croydon PCT and have been referred to St. Georges Hospital in Tooting which is the closest plastics unit. The consultant did allude to the fact that I was lucky to get funding, not because of my circumstances but more in a 'getting blood from a stone' sort of way.

Sorry to hear you have been turned down :( How long ago did you post your thread? I had a quick look and couldn't find it, but then again I am using my phone and am a bit dippy. Will you re-apply?

Debs xxx

hiya put thread on yesterday
FUNDING REFUSED
Well i'ts official i got the letter today to say thay my request for funding for Abdonminoplasty has been refused the reason they have given is "there appears to be insufficient information regarding patient specific exceptionality"
basically according to them my clinical circumstances are not outside that of 95% of patients with same medical condition at same stage of progression
Anyway i knew they would refuse me as in my local paper last week there was an article about a former soldier who has lost 16st and they refused him funding so i knew the writing was on the wall for me as i haven't lost half that much

I am also under St Georges Hospital i had my bypass there too they are really good and said they would fight my case, i am gonna reapply but i need to go back and see my GP and see what they say and also what surgeons recommend etc

Back