• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are you glad you had your bypass?

again i endorse what everyone else has said, listen to your body, well, your pouch, and you will get to know it, and what it likes and dislikes, this does take a bit of time, and things that you cant eat at the beginning, you can eventually eat, so its worth trying things that dont agree with you at first, a few months later, when your pouch and ev erything is more settled and healed. the only time your actually aware of anything is when your getting full, cos you f eel it in your chest rather then your stomach area, cos, your pouch is the very top bit of your stomach, so its a lot higher up. good luck, and i think youve made the right decision. and please let us know how you go on, and if your worried about anything, just ask and someone will answer and try to help. hugs xx

Hi I felt exactly the same way. i have a 5yr old and 10yr old and panicked about something going wrong. But on the other hand there was prob a higher risk of something happening to me if I didnt have my bypass.

I like a lot of people, would have the op again in a heartbeat. I am only 4 1/2 wks post op, have had good days and bad days but feel extremely priveledged to have been given this chance at life

Good luck for ur op xx

Bless you all, thanking for taking time to reply.

I think cos the bypass is elective it feels like I'm taking a risk for nothing if you know what I mean.

I thought that too . . and especially perhaps as I was paying to go private but it is not like cosmetic surgery this is basically a life lengthening and possibly life saving op for you in the long term. I decided to look at it that way.

I just wish I was in recovery and all was well.

You will be there sooner than you know and so pleased you did it!

I'm so glad no one regrets it.

I love my bypass and have not regretted it for one nano second! I eat out a lot and live a relatively 'normal' life - but I live the life of a slimmer person who eats healthily and does not binge! I can honestly say I dont miss massive plates of food and if anyone had told me that pre op I would not have believed it possible.

Do you feel different inside if u get what I mean, does it always hurt? Do u feel really unwell after or does it just hurt?
I just find it hard to know how I'm gonna feel afterwards.

I was lucky I sailed through the op and by the following day although my middle was a little swollen I have felt worse after falling off a horse! I had a few 'tender' days but did not have to have any pain relief at all. At no point did i feel in the least bit unwell. My pain was more discomfort when walking or trying to lie on my side for the first few days but it went really quickly. I honestly could have gone back to work five days post op and I am over 50! I now feel no different 'inside' than I ever did. I know the signs I am getting full (I get hiccups!) and I dont abuse my pouch - once I know that I am getting there I stop and rest. If I am out for dinner I just put down my knife and fork and chat . . then may eat a little more after ten minutes. I love it!!

I do eat treats, I have had the odd biscuit, bit of cake or ice cream but I am no longer ruled by them. I eat one and then that is me done . . before my op I would have wolfed down the packet before I knew I had even done it!

Hope all this helps. My bypass rocks!

mel, its nice to be able to have 'a biscuit' or a 'small piece of cake' and be satisfied with that isnt it. i think that because we try to eat healthily, if you look at most slim people, they eat cakes, biscuits dont they, but they seem to know when to stop. hope this helps claire, big hugs xxx

Hi,

your worries and concerns are completely normal. I was so worried about pain immediately after the op and about how I would be able to live without all my favourite foods. Well I didn't need to be! Of course everyone's experience is very individual and I have met quite a few people who have had bad complications and who knows I may still have some down the road. So this is something to keep in mind.

I am exactly 8 weeks out today, and my experience up to this point has been nothing short of a miracle and absolutely fantastic.

My hospital team kept me pain free at all times. I never had any real pain. More discomfort. Once at home I never needed to take painkillers and within a couple of weeks I felt almost normal, although tired due to lower energy levels.

I eat out a lot, this is a big part of my social life that I didn't really want to change. And I don't have to! There is always something on the menu that I can have, often from the starters selection, but I don't mind that. It's great to be able to still go out with friends, enjoy nice food KNOWING you're doing the right thing, instead of feeling guilty about the vast amounts of food you've just consumed (I used to feel that way).

I've only vomited once so far, and that was because I ate too fast and didn't chew enough. My pouch tells me off rather instantly and you learn to listen to it by eating very slowly. I now know when I'm full and stop eating when I'm supposed to. I don't think I could overeat anymore, as I feel quite uncomfortable around my pouch area when I hit the fullness feeling.

I don't feel different inside. In fact I often forget about my surgery altogether, but them remember when I have to eat or make a food choice :)

As for the benefits at 8 weeks down, there are many. MANY. The bestest thing for me so far is the control that I have around food. I never EVER had control around food. I felt more like an addict. A slave to food. I just could not stick to any healthy diet for any length of time, and the slightest 'slip up' would send me badly off track and it would take days to get back on track. Time during which I would generally undo the good work I'd done on my diet previously. It was a life of desperation, terrible guilt and self destruction that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'm not saying this all happens by itself. You have to follow the rules, listen to your body, make the right food choices, exercise, and of course put yourself through surgery. But it is all totally worth it!

Hugs xx

thanks to all for posting, have found this thread very comforting as my date approaches ( 2 weeks today). still scared but I think that's natural, excited too and anxious to get it over and done with!

It's a partnership for sure, I've weighed myself post op...only 8 days out and I'm weighing in 17lbs lighter... because I'm no longer on insulin and I'd gained weight in hospital with the drips and my diabetes... great benefits for sure post op and just expect a couple of days of feeling unwell, a small price to pay for such huge and life changing benefits ~ I'm no longer a slave to food and am enjoying eating healthily.

Love and hugs, good luck xxx

I have sat and read all your kind & lengthy replies. You've each taken time to share your experience and I now know all that I feel is natural. I am just going to go with the flow, relax and prepare myself mentally and physically for my op.

I cannot thank you all enough for you posts. You have all helped more than you will ever know.

I found all your experiences interesting and what's realty clear is no matter what your experience, pain, no pain, vomiting etc everyone said they'd do it again in a heart beat - that's good enough for me :0)

Love to you all. :0) you've made me smile.

Xxxxxxxxx

Claire... I took a wordsearch book into hospital and kept looking at the page and finding the hidden word.

Go with the flow is my philosophy with hospitals, there is always so much going on around you.

I'd just hand my left arm for blood pressure checks and blood samples... answer when asked anything by medics, enjoy chatting to the other ladies in the ward and keep focusing on the word search.

It was soon all over and after a couple of days you start to see the benefits.

Go onto ''Auto Pilot'' is my suggestion to pre oppers and just take it in your stride. Expect windy pain after the op and take Deflatine or similar and get on with it.

It's a week yesterday since my op and I'd do it again tomorrow. I'm really feeling better off insulin.

Take care and good luck all Angels xxx

If this 62 yearl old bird can do it so can you.

I now feel I will not die at 73 but will live til I am 93...... erm not sure if thats a good thing or not..... LOL :eek:

I sailed through everything can eat anything, was only sick once the whole time, Lost 7 stone so far and feel absolutely fab.

Mary you are beautiful inside and out and I think Claire will do very well with this... learning beforehand what to expect... i.e. a couple of windy pain days post op and then when you get moving all eases and you feel better...

Get your 'Auto Pilot' into gear Claire and feel our warm hugs holding you tight.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

I have to be in hospital this Sunday at 5pm ready for my op Monday morning. If it's ok can I let you all know how I go on. It'll give me purpose in what will be the scary day.

Is it daft to want your mum when ur 36 years old. I'd still sit on my mums knee (though I think if squash her lol)

Thank you all again x x x[/QUOTE]

I was going to say if you pm me your no. and vice versa I'd keep everyone up to date for you. I know that I found it very reassuring to know that I had the support of everyone on the forum when I had my op and hearing from Allie and Bev on the day helped a lot. It also helped hubby to have someone to talk to who knew what he was going through. However, I have just realised that we will be in a plane on the way to spain so I will be a useless contact for you. However, I am sure that someone here will give you their contact details if you PM them. I hope that they have a computer where we are staying so I can see how you get on. My prayers and thoughts will be with you on Sunday and Monday.

I'm 51 and really wished my mom was still alive to talk to and have a cuddle from when I had my op. I think we always want those we love to be close to us. Hey, after your op and weight loss you'll be able to sit on her knee without squashing her!!! What a shock that will be for her.

love and hugs

Rebirth xx

Back