• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

August 2014 Surgeries

It will fly by! Anyone got tips for troublesome scales mine change so dramatically I'm talking like a stone!! Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I would use professional ones like in tesco, boots, doctors etc. I used them until I got down to well under the max amount on my scales. Other tip when using home scales is make sure they're on a hard floor and always in the same place

I hope tranquil is getting on ok after her op this weekend.

Hi Kar8858, I came home on Sunday but had a awful evening, I was in a bit of pain so I had some of the pain relief tablets given to me when I was discharged but I then proceeded to have an allergic reaction to them, came out in hives and had to have priton. The worst part was to come later when I went to bed as I was feeling so sick and (sorry) retching all night long. :cry: I did not sleep at all.

Managed to get an appointment with my GP and they gave me some anti- sickness tablets and other pain relief tablets. Which have seem to have done the trick. Struggling with drinking all the fluid needing to take and getting the protein in, I just do not feel hungry. As it was a nice sunny day I set in my garden and I had a couple of NAS ice lollies which helped. Hope fully tomorrow it will get easier. I weighed myself and my scales show an increase of 3lbs, how can this be true? Has this happened to anyone else?:confused:

Hi tranquil, oh sorry you are feeling sick and in pain. I really hope you pick up quickly. Im hoping i dont feel to sick as thats the one thing i hate, sick!! It my be the effect of the anaesthetic, i wouldnt worry about the 3lbs your body will be in turmoil, please keep me updated on your recovery! Three weeks today until my op.

I would use professional ones like in tesco, boots, doctors etc. I used them until I got down to well under the max amount on my scales. Other tip when using home scales is make sure they're on a hard floor and always in the same place

Mine go up to 28st and I'm 23st even on the same spot on my bathroom floor every time but the reading never stays still!
I think a trip to boots is needed! Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Kar8858, I came home on Sunday but had a awful evening, I was in a bit of pain so I had some of the pain relief tablets given to me when I was discharged but I then proceeded to have an allergic reaction to them, came out in hives and had to have priton. The worst part was to come later when I went to bed as I was feeling so sick and (sorry) retching all night long. :cry: I did not sleep at all.

Managed to get an appointment with my GP and they gave me some anti- sickness tablets and other pain relief tablets. Which have seem to have done the trick. Struggling with drinking all the fluid needing to take and getting the protein in, I just do not feel hungry. As it was a nice sunny day I set in my garden and I had a couple of NAS ice lollies which helped. Hope fully tomorrow it will get easier. I weighed myself and my scales show an increase of 3lbs, how can this be true? Has this happened to anyone else?:confused:

Hi there

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough, you have just had major surgery so it's to be expected! Here's some practical tips that might help you over the next few days...

- Make yourself a pillow/cushion fort in bed so you're almost sitting like in a hospital bed and completely supported, place pillows behind you so you're nice and snug and less likely to go flat on your back, this will prevent acid reflux etc while it all heals. Will also help you stay on your back/side and not roll onto wounds...ouch
- get some of those kids yoghurt cubes and freeze them for ice lollies - they have no bits in them and have a little protein :)

- Fill up a 1L sipper bottle with water/squash in the morning and make it your mission to drink it before you go to bed in the evening, keep sipping away and it will all go in, you can do it! Having it all in one bottle let's you see how much is left etc

- Don't worry about getting in heaps of protein right now, focus on fluids including protein shakes and you'll be good to go when you move on towards solids. That's when the protein obsession starts!

- In hospital they will have pumped you with so much fluid to keep you hydrated and you're swollen inside = fluid retention. Don't worry about the 3lb, it will vanish! Also, all scales are slightly different, I'm 2lb heavier at home than hospital it's just one of those things!

Hope you feel a little better soon, rest up xx

Mine go up to 28st and I'm 23st even on the same spot on my bathroom floor every time but the reading never stays still! I think a trip to boots is needed! Thanks! :) Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Ah I would say your scales are probably ready to go the journey then! Lol. Yea pop into boots, I think it's normally 50p to weigh yourself but their scales are accurate x

Hi there

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough, you have just had major surgery so it's to be expected! Here's some practical tips that might help you over the next few days...

- Make yourself a pillow/cushion fort in bed so you're almost sitting like in a hospital bed and completely supported, place pillows behind you so you're nice and snug and less likely to go flat on your back, this will prevent acid reflux etc while it all heals. Will also help you stay on your back/side and not roll onto wounds...ouch
- get some of those kids yoghurt cubes and freeze them for ice lollies - they have no bits in them and have a little protein :)

- Fill up a 1L sipper bottle with water/squash in the morning and make it your mission to drink it before you go to bed in the evening, keep sipping away and it will all go in, you can do it! Having it all in one bottle let's you see how much is left etc

- Don't worry about getting in heaps of protein right now, focus on fluids including protein shakes and you'll be good to go when you move on towards solids. That's when the protein obsession starts!

- In hospital they will have pumped you with so much fluid to keep you hydrated and you're swollen inside = fluid retention. Don't worry about the 3lb, it will vanish! Also, all scales are slightly different, I'm 2lb heavier at home than hospital it's just one of those things!

Hope you feel a little better soon, rest up xx

Thank Stacey this is really helpful, especially about the bed I can definitely confirm that accidentally rolling onto wounds is extremely painful and is a quick wake up call. I will try the frozen yoghurt tips and the water bottle tip.

Thanks you guys for your all your support and help, really appreciated.

Thank Stacey this is really helpful, especially about the bed I can definitely confirm that accidentally rolling onto wounds is extremely painful and is a quick wake up call. I will try the frozen yoghurt tips and the water bottle tip. Thanks you guys for your all your support and help, really appreciated.

Frozen frubes are delicious and really easy to get down post op, I would deffo recommend. Oh gosh I remember waking up one morning on my stomach, I had rolled in my sleep and I was in agony. I felt so bruised and tender. Pillows, pillows, pillows xx

Good job I have six pillows on my bed then! Just have to kick the other half out!
It's so lovely to get all these hints and tips otherwise it would be like walking into the hospital blindfolded!

Good job I have six pillows on my bed then! Just have to kick the other half out! It's so lovely to get all these hints and tips otherwise it would be like walking into the hospital blindfolded! Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I found sleeping in bed with someone really hard. Had a much better sleep when I was in the bed alone, at least for the first 4 days out of hospital as it meant I could build a fort around me lol. I also always took a glass of water with a straw in it to bed. Liquid wise if you feel you are struggling to get enough down but you're dehydrated try sucking ice cubes. They were a god send for me x

I found sleeping in bed with someone really hard. Had a much better sleep when I was in the bed alone, at least for the first 4 days out of hospital as it meant I could build a fort around me lol. I also always took a glass of water with a straw in it to bed. Liquid wise if you feel you are struggling to get enough down but you're dehydrated try sucking ice cubes. They were a god send for me x

Yh I think I may send him home while I need comfort.
A pillow fort sounds amazing!

I'm now off to make some ice cubes! Thanks!

I would kick him to the sofa ladies. You never know you may need him to rub your feet or plump your pillows :) x

Ohh good tip!

Good job I'd not mentioned it to him yet!

I'll just say it's advised for me to sleep alone haha!!!

Ohh good tip! Good job I'd not mentioned it to him yet! I'll just say it's advised for me to sleep alone haha!!! Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hehe! Good plan. If you keep him in the house at least if you need anything in the night you can shout him x

I told my husband that the consultant said I couldn't do any housework or drive for 6 weeks after I had my gall bladder out last month.

(It's working)

I told my husband that the consultant said I couldn't do any housework or drive for 6 weeks after I had my gall bladder out last month. (It's working)

Haha that's amazing although my OCD would not be impressed as my fellas cleaning skills are not up to my standards!

Back