• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Average weight loss after bypass

Fat Again

Hi guys
Im trying to obtain an average weight loss figure after a bypass and really appreciate your input. It's mainly for my own benefit as I believe my weight loss ain't what it should be, but also it's gonna be really interesting to read.

Please add your starting weight - date of surgery and your current weight.

Many Thanks

x

Hiya

I know Im a bander but, according to the BOSPA website the 'average' losses are:

How much weight will you lose after a gastric bypass?

Studies show that on average, people lose between 66–75% of their excess weight in the two years after gastric bypass surgery. The really good news is that long before you reach that goal, you will start to feel the benefits, especially if you also have any of the obesity–related diseases such as diabetes, heart disease or high blood pressure. You will also have a much greater capacity for physical activity and more self–confidence.
If you are motivated to follow the eating plan, increase your exercise, keep follow up appointments with the healthcare team and keep in touch with a patient support group, you are more likely to achieve a greater weight loss.

These are only averages though, some will lose more some less.

Other than that Im sure some bypassers will be able to offer you some tips x

Hi FA
I started at 20 stone 1lb on day of surgery - 7/08/09 and now i'm weighing in at 12 stone 6lbs a total of 108lbs to date x

:) wow Allie well done hun x

Have a look at the post "How many people have we lost" it will give you an overview
There are some of us that had the sleeve but the wieght loss is incredable

I was 22 stone at my pre-op - lost 12 ilbs by surgery date of 4 Feb 2010. Current weight 18.3. So almost 4 stone in 10/11 weeks. I'm happy with that but everyone is different. As long as you are eating and drinking enough and losing weight steadily, thats great. I think if you get uptight cos maybe someone else has lost more than you it would drive you nuts!! We are all unique - no two people are the same.

Hi i was 22 stone 3lb, my op date was 13th may 2009, i now weigh 12 stone 8lbs so thats a total weightloss of 9 stone 9lbs in just over 11 months. Ive got 3wks to lose 5lb and would then have lost 10 stone by my years surgiversary................................ fingers crossed!!!

I was 18st5lb and am now 13st1lb and my operation was on 27/11/2010. I am pleased I have lost 74 pounds. My surgeon said that the higher your weight to begin with, the faster it comes off and that skews the figures. He said to expect between 8-10 pounds per month at my starting weight/height. He said the first couple of months may show losses in excess of a stone a month but that would stop after 2-3 months and he was exactly right for me.

Lisa well done on your weight loss. We had the same surgeon and Im hoping to achieve similar results as you, but Im reall aprehensive at the moment as weight loss is so slow and Im only 5 months in with a 72lb weight loss, is that good ?

It's as good and as bad as you want it to be. The 'statistics' have been put above. But if you don't work with it, don't expect miracles. All people act differently and our bodies are all different. Some react well, others don't but then have to work hard at it.

All in all, anyone can be a statistic, it's the hard work individuals put in, and I don't mean purely exercise, I'm talking about sacrifices people make, that can make them blow away the statistics :)

You are doing fantastic - much more than me lol! :(

Lisa well done on your weight loss. We had the same surgeon and Im hoping to achieve similar results as you, but Im reall aprehensive at the moment as weight loss is so slow and Im only 5 months in with a 72lb weight loss, is that good ?

I was 18st 4 (i think) on day of surgery and now am 14st 10

So you have done WAY better than me !!!

My surgery date was 10th November 2009

Interesting post, and yes Bryan i'm gonna give it another week then count the scores on the ''How much weight have we lost'' thread... Daren't look as i may run away lol xx

ive lost 102 lb in 4 months 3 weeks :) x

It's as good and as bad as you want it to be. The 'statistics' have been put above. But if you don't work with it, don't expect miracles. All people act differently and our bodies are all different. Some react well, others don't but then have to work hard at it.

All in all, anyone can be a statistic, it's the hard work individuals put in, and I don't mean purely exercise, I'm talking about sacrifices people make, that can make them blow away the statistics :)

Mixman, not sure I want to to thank you for your comments, sounds like your preaching a bit !

I am making sacrifices and don't expect miracles, your comments sound like you assume otherwise.

You don't know me and don't know the crap I've been through to get to this stage in my life.

I just wanted to get an average figure from real people, not what a book or the professionals say.

Thanks anyway

I'm not preaching at all.

I've simply said that it is what you make of it. I've also said that with some people, they don't react very well to it and have to work harder (Which it sounds like you're one of them people) It's not easy for anyone but some make more of it than others.

I have not said at all that 'YOU' haven't made sacrifices. So don't try and insinuate I am assuming that!

If you think I'm preaching, I'm afraid you don't know me very well!!

Last edited:
I had already lost nearly 3st waiting for my op so was 15st 7lb when I started the milk diet. I lost 10lbs every month post op but a little more the first month. I now have a healthy bmi and I am trying to maintain.

I'm not preaching at all.

I've simply said that it is what you make of it. I've also said that with some people, they don't react very well to it and have to work harder (Which it sounds like you're one of them people) It's not easy for anyone but some make more of it than others.

I have not said at all that 'YOU' haven't made sacrifices. So don't try and insinuate I am assuming that!

If you think I'm preaching, I'm afraid you don't know me very well!!

That's the problem with these forums, we don't really know anybody do we.

Apologies for snapping it was just my initial reaction, us girlies can be a bit touchy from time to time you know, like you guys can be a bit abrupt !

I know, it's hard to get sentiment across in text.

I would hate to think that anyone would think I would make judgements on people that I don't even know.

It is harder for some people compared to others, that's why there aren't rules, just guidelines. We are all individuals.

It can be frustrating at times but I think your weightloss is brilliant and you should be dead proud of what you have achieved so far xx :)

Back