• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whats your average weekly weight loss post bypass surgery?

Gail it sounds the same as me, and i'm worried about the mash too:eek::eek:I feel like i'm retaining water too:(

Sorry i'm confused. I thought following a bypass it was a month on liquids then a month on purees before moving onto lumpy stuffs....

2 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks on puree then solids

Maybe it varies, my sheet from WM says and i quote "After your operation you will take fluids only for 4 weeks then you will move ont a pureed/soft diet (your food will need to be liquidised) for a further 4 weeks".

Maybe it varies, my sheet from WM says and i quote "After your operation you will take fluids only for 4 weeks then you will move ont a pureed/soft diet (your food will need to be liquidised) for a further 4 weeks".

Thats correct for WM patients hun. Its important that everyone follows their own surgeons instructions.

Hiya,

Its difficult to say what an average would be. I'm sure youve heard a million times that 'everyone is different' and 'bypass will affect everyone in different ways. For me, I dropped a lot very quickly in the early months, most likely due to the the initial fluid only aspect and then the teeny, tiny blobs of mush. I lost 3 stones in a very short space of time. Since then I'm very similar to many of the others. I've lost 7, 8 and 9 lbs in a week but on the other hand I've sometimes only lost 1 or 2?!?!? I have also had two plateus where nothing has come off for 2 weeks but it soon gets moving again. My average is roughly 3 or 4lbs a week. Ive lost 8st 2lbs which over the period since the op is approx a stone a month. From memory, I think my 'team' told me that a stone a month for the first year is common, with it tailing off slightly after that. I'm not sure why though, coz you are still eating tiny amounts and still only absorbing small amounts. Anyone out there care to give a medical comment as to why it starts to slow down? I'm glad it does coz we all end up skeletal if it kept going at that rate indefinitely.

Cheers and well done everybody xx

Ok so after reading this I feel completely depressed.

3 and 1/2 months on and I'm losing one pound a week now, if that. I have op same time as Fedup as she's lost over twice as much in same period.

I eat sensibly, exercise a reasonable amount, work a 12 hour day, have two small kids - - I am the very opposite of a couch potatoe. Still have 4 stone to lose... just cannot fathom the weight losses I'm seeing people talk about in this thread.

Feel quite down about it now.
yoyo
sniff
x

You are all doing amazingly well what an inspiration you all are looking forward to being on the losing side

Jay xx

You're all doing fantastically, keep up the good work and thanks once again for all the inspiration and motivation you give us wannabe losers!!

Hi everyone,
During the last 5 weeks (which includes pre-op diet for 2 weeks and 3 weeks post-op) I have lost about 3 stones. Im not sure whether this is the norm or not but I am really happy with this weight loss cos I know that if I didnt have the op I would have beeen heavier.

Ok so after reading this I feel completely depressed.

3 and 1/2 months on and I'm losing one pound a week now, if that. I have op same time as Fedup as she's lost over twice as much in same period.

I eat sensibly, exercise a reasonable amount, work a 12 hour day, have two small kids - - I am the very opposite of a couch potatoe. Still have 4 stone to lose... just cannot fathom the weight losses I'm seeing people talk about in this thread.

Feel quite down about it now.
yoyo
sniff
x

Don't let urself get down about it, I left this forum for quitea while because everyone seemed to be losing so much more than me. Look at my ticker, I've lost 59lb since January, thats nothing compared to others. I've now stopped weighing myself and I just do it maybe once a month to keep an eye on things and do you know what...I have my life back. I'm only losing about 4lbs a month!! Don't let things get to you or else why did we go through this in the first pleace, you are losing weight slowly but surely...go with it and if you're really worried..go back to basics for a while.

Just stop worrying and don't compare urself to others it will completley do ur head in x x x

Thank you all for your responses, we are all different in our weightloss speeds and to be honest with myself im happy losing 2-4lb a week rather 7-9lbs it's still a loss and less frightening. We all have stalls especially TOM girls but we get by and deal with it the bestway we can. I was told 10-14lbs a month could be expected in the first 6 months. Please guys don't be unhappy with your losses or stalls we will all get to our desired weight eventually. xxxx

Well folks I have lost a massive zilch this week, Ime totaly naffed off. cause I dont know what Ime doing so wrong. :break_diet:G.M
Don't panic, you're doing nothing wrong and it's only a couple of weeks since your op, your body is readjusting and possibly storing the liquids you are eating at the moment, basically body goes into starvation mode and stores the food as it's not sure when it's gonna get fed again. Hope that makes sense. xxxx

I think when we are reading what other people have lost we really need to put it in perspective. Wheight loss depends on a whole host of factors, how heavy you are to start with, time of the month, fluid retention, what we are eating. There are hundreds of reason and no two people loose the same. i think we are all stars whether we loose half a pound a month or 30 pound a month well done to us all and all we can do is just keep trying an d working well with our chosen wls. Big hugs all round:gen126::grouphugg::grouphugg:

I think when we are reading what other people have lost we really need to put it in perspective. Wheight loss depends on a whole host of factors, how heavy you are to start with, time of the month, fluid retention, what we are eating. There are hundreds of reason and no two people loose the same. i think we are all stars whether we loose half a pound a month or 30 pound a month well done to us all and all we can do is just keep trying an d working well with our chosen wls. Big hugs all round:gen126::grouphugg::grouphugg:
My sentiments exactly, thats kind of why i asked the question we are all losers at what ever stage we are at and what ever we lose we should appreciate our losses. xxxxxxx:hug99::gen126::gen126::flowers::thankyou::happy096:

My weight loss is very slow around 2lb a week but I am inactive and I was warned this would happen, still any loss is great! Pauline

All weightloss is good news! If you're a bit naffed off with what you think is slow loss just remember how naffed off you were while waiting for a date and being messed about by PCT's etc. At least you're losing! LOL, I cant wait to be frustrated with slow losses ;o)
xxxxxx

Back