• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back and fed up ...long sorry

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
Hi guys, I know I'm fairly new around here and have disappeared for a week or 2, but decided I needed to come back for my sake....

My GP referred me on the 29th Sept, through chose and book, which according to my PCT is the wrong way to do it as there were too many referrals they changes it. So my appointment for 5th Nov is now cancelled (wasnt informed had to ring to find out)
I went back to the GP and she said she would look at referring me through the Exceptional circumstances was, and in the meantime she told me to do a food diary and a letter of how the weight affects my life. Fine thats not a problem as it all adds to my case, she also prescribed Acomplia, which has now been recalled, so that was changed on Friday to Reductil. Been put on this for a month initially to see how it goes and i go back to GP on 20th Nov.

Anyhow I decided that I wasnt happy so I rang the consultants secretary and spoke to her about the process, she said that my GP has to refer me by paper and that she gets them, gives them to the PCT and they filter them back to her at 3 a week as this is the amount of appointments they have. She told me that the ones she had this week were from April referrals !!!! So thats a 6 month wait for an appointment.!! See now I'm cheesed. Off back to my GP I went and told her the story, she didnt have a clue..
I asked for her to refer me now on paper and that surely we can add things i have done, eg Reductil and anything else she sees fit try me with. So she said she would do that...do i get a copy of the referral ? or should she inform me that she has referred me ? I forgot to ask.

I kindof stepped back from thew forum as I saw all these posts about getting funding and the weightloss people were having and it just made me sadder and like a lost cause. Im not taking anything away from you guys that have had the op or have the funding, as I'm sure some of you will understand the feelings.

So basically to cut the story short, since 29th Sept i have got Reductil and possibly a referral, will have to check on that score, and that appointment wont come till at least April/ May next year and that the first appointment !!:cry:

Sorry to all who read the essay, also apologies if i miffed some people by how i feel but im just venting.
Maxine

Hi Maxine so glad to see you back. I totally totally understand where you are coming from with regards to seeing other people getting funding and the op etc. It hurts like hell whilst at the same time you are so pleased for them. Many times I said I was going to back off from the forum but I missed it so much as the amount of support you get is second to none. Also new people are coming all the time and everyone has a little bit of something that could help towards your referral. I do feel for you, I know its easy for me to say when I have come so far and I suppose to some I have had a fairly easy journey. Most of the reason I thought I would not get funding is I felt I did not deserve it as much as others. Please try and stay on the boards or email me anytime. Gingernutter is going through a similar thing as you and she is brill at letter writing, you could pick up some tips. If I had not found this site at the start of my referral I doubt I would of learnt enough to get to the place I am in now. I knew nothing and unfortunately GP's know very little to. I know it hurts chick but the more voices that can give you advice and support the better....I really hope you choose to stay around...xxx (((((HUG)))))

Maxine :hug99: I don't think you'll miff anyone. There are a lot of us that have been the NHS route and understand how you're feeling.

Normally GP's don't send a copy of a referral to a patient, or inform them that a referral has been made. If it were me, I would wait for a few days, and then speak to the GP's secretary who can tell you if the referral has been sent. If it has, then I would call the consultants secretary a few days later again to check it has been received.

Unfortunately, in some PCTs, it is a long drawn out process and it may be the case that you have to ride out the 6 months to get there. I know it's hard (it took me 18 months from GP to surgery) but it really is worth it.

With the reductil, please be aware that if you are susceptible to depression reductil can make this worse. I wasn't allowed it because I have a history of depression. I'm only mentioning it because you sound so low, and I'd hate for anyone to slump into depression. If you start to feel depressed, please go back to your GP.

Use mini's to vent, let us support you through the waiting and it will be easier.

Shel

Linda as I said in another post Ill email you later :)

but yes you're right, the support is wicke on here.
I still havent even started my letter as i dont know where to start lol. But i got a few weeks to get it sorted.

I am sorry to hear you have been put through hoops on this....

But stay positive, it will happen, just some trusts are slower than others.

I first walked into my doctors to ask about it on April 4th this year, my op happened on 14th October. That's six months too.

You have to keep on pushing and pushing and pushing and phone the PCT week after week after week. Nag if you have to. Your doctor should be able to give you a direct number to contact them on.

Don't give up, it will happen :grouphugg:

Don't be sad. We are all on the same journey here. We do understand how you feel.

Everyone has a different story to tell. The difference between areas amazes me. Some get refered so easily yet others really struggle.

You need to look at the criteria requirements in your area. Someone will be alone soon who can point you in that direction.

I have learnt so much on this site. I have made great friends who understand just how I feel.

If I can help you please ask. I will do what I can. Keep smiling.

one piece of advice that may help when you finally get an appiontment if you use cpap use it and get arecord that you are using it and see you sleep clinic to check it is calibrated properly
dave

Forgot to say my GP gave me a copy of his referral letter without me even asking. It was not very good though, but he is learning just like us....xx

Thanks guys for the replys :)

Shel I havent suffered form depression but it was never mentioned about it making you feel more depressed so ill keep my eye on that :)

Caz that brilliant news and such a sort time, though my 6 months wait will be for the initial appointment not for a surgery date lol...grrr

Ginger :) I pulled all the criteria for my PCT off BOSPA and went in armed to the eyeballs with research and info lol bet the GP though 'oh god I got a right one here..' lol My PCt states a BMI of 40+ and thats all they state but i assume thats on top of the NICE criteria,. My GP is pretty good but a blit lack on knowledge of the process, but she has found a GP in the practise who does refer people, a she runs the diabetic clinic. So shes reaping info off him i think.

Dave sorry to sound dumb but what is cpap?

Linda, I know the hoops you jumped through hun, you did well to get where you are, you could join the circus now as a top act, juggling and hoop jumping :)

Right off to take my Reductil and have some porridge lol
Maxine
xx

A CPAP is a machine for people who suffer from sleep apnoea. Its a common side effect of obesity and can help your cause when fighting for funding.

ahh thx Shel you mine of info :p

Nope not using one, I don tknow if i have a problem sleeping, sometimes i have good nights sometimes i have bad nights, just like any other person i guess.

There are a few people on here with sleep apnoea who can tell you what it feels like, if you feel like you may suffer with it then it's worth asking your GP to arrange testing.

Hi Maxine, I know how you feel, im in exactly the same position as you. I suppose we just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Its just a waiting game.

hi maxine and glad to see you are back posting. sorry you seem to be having the big battle over appointments and funding. try to stay positive hun xx

thanks guys..

these Reductil are loopy pills i swear, was up at a ridiculous time taking a curtain pole down, sorted some stuff out at midnight! I guess thats a good thing on one way but they better be working in the right way for what they were prescribed for lol

Back