• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back pain after weight loss.

fjsinc

I've been suffering from the most awful back pain since I reached about 5 stone loss. Its mostly while I'm at work, and its central mid back. I'm convinced its posture related, but I'm at a loss about what to do about. I exercise regularly, and it doesn't seem to help (or hinder thankfully). Anyone had similar? Any tips on how to elevate pain/correct posture? What do you think, worth me forking out to go and see a chiropractor?

I am no medical expert in any way, shape or form so just musings.

Might some of it be dietary/vitamin related? My dietician has told me I need to keep my protein, vitamins and exercises up to prevent muscle weakness. She was primarily talking about arms and thighs but I wonder if it can affect other parts of the body x

Thank Lincs. I think its possible, but relatively unlikely. I am very exact in my intake of proteins and supplements. I'm a nurse, and paranoid about keeping them at optimum levels. I have no symptoms of deficiency, so for me the most simple explanation is postural. I have lost the majority of my weight from my tummy, so my centre is quite different (I keep trying to fall over, haha). Last night at work I sort of had to push one of my discs into line - ouch.

I've read a lot about our bodies being misaligned due to carrying a lot of weight. A physio can help. NHS will refer x

I am a bander but I noticed this. Luckily I work within an MSk clinic so saw one of the physios for some stretches and it really helped. I would say yes to seeing a chiropractor or physio x

Thank Lincs. I think its possible, but relatively unlikely. I am very exact in my intake of proteins and supplements. I'm a nurse, and paranoid about keeping them at optimum levels. I have no symptoms of deficiency, so for me the most simple explanation is postural. I have lost the majority of my weight from my tummy, so my centre is quite different (I keep trying to fall over, haha). Last night at work I sort of had to push one of my discs into line - ouch.

Hon, I get back pain but mine is due to folds of loose skin. If it is just posture sitting on an exercise ball with a straight back can help.

I used to go to the European School of Osteopathy somewhere near Maidstone. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I now go to the British School near London Bridge as I've moved. Cheap as chips, even cheaper if you are a student.

Will sort you out in no time :)

I used to go to the European School of Osteopathy somewhere near Maidstone. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I now go to the British School near London Bridge as I've moved. Cheap as chips, even cheaper if you are a student.

Will sort you out in no time :)

Funny you should say that, I made an appointment to go the Osteopathy school in Maidstone this morning! And as I work for the NHS its £10 a session, so score!

Let us know how you get on.

Will do :)

Might be worth looking into pilates its really good for posture and it helps to align the spine which can become mis-aligned like Victoria mentioned. The exercises help with core muscles and helps to strengthen posture any way the physio will be also be able to show u some exercises aswell for posture x

Yeah, I've looked into pilates too. On the waiting list for my local group.

Ooh I'm totally addicted to yoga! Not done pilates yet.

I've been suffering from the most awful back pain since I reached about 5 stone loss. Its mostly while I'm at work, and its central mid back. I'm convinced its posture related, but I'm at a loss about what to do about. I exercise regularly, and it doesn't seem to help (or hinder thankfully). Anyone had similar? Any tips on how to elevate pain/correct posture? What do you think, worth me forking out to go and see a chiropractor?

One of the reasons I am so glad to get this surgery was so that I could get some relief from back pain. I suffer from a degenerative disc disease that has compromised a lot of my discs .. Unfortunately after an 8 st loss it has in fact it just got worse :cry: ... Don't get me wrong though I am loving every other aspect of my WLS journey :) xx

Its a pretty tough reality, I thought my aches and pains would virtually disappear after losing a good amount of weight (I'm closing in on 7 stone down now.). In a lot of ways its worse, especially as pain killers dont seem to be quite as effective as they were pre-op.

Its a pretty tough reality, I thought my aches and pains would virtually disappear after losing a good amount of weight (I'm closing in on 7 stone down now.). In a lot of ways its worse, especially as pain killers dont seem to be quite as effective as they were pre-op.

A lot of my aches and pains have improved/disappeared since my weightloss.
But my back is still bad I find sleeping at night is terrible..tryed buying a new mattress(hasn't made a slight difference)
I'd love to get a nights sleep where I can get in a comfy position but my back wont allow me.

Well the osteopath appointment was interesting.. They think that my back is very compressed, the muscles very tight. She said my T3-T7 dont move at all, but I have hyper-mobility in my lower spine (I can move too much!!!). She says there is a definite postural issue, as I favour my right, and am a bit hunched up.
She felt the muscles in my diaphragm, and said I had a very unusual drag from my stomach. When I told her about my op, she didn't really understand the difference between a band and a bypass. So explained that my stomach had been cut, so that explained what she could feel. I'm a little sceptical, but she felt that the op may have upset the balance a bit.

Pain is getting worse, I'm going to see the osteopath again next week see what happens. I'll give it a couple more sessions then I'm going to conventional medicine and see what my GP says.,

Spooky that they could feel that you've had the op.

Drag queen eh ? :D

Maybe you could get a double appointment to get more treatment time as you seem to have been diagnosed with one of everything. :rolleyes:

Back