• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad relapse

Maria61

so put on a stone in 10 days!! Totally lost the plot. Why oh why do I do this? Got appointment to see surgeon in June so need to get my act together. Rant over

Wow that was good going ! ..
It's easy for someone to say you need to find the triggers but that's what you need to do .. try keeping a diary , honestly it really helps .. write everything in it .. when it comes to food then write that all in there also .. writing it down and admitting to it is , for me , the first way to admit to be being a food addict .. I would just assume most of us on here were carbohydrate addicts , look it up and read up in these deadly carbs and just how addictive they actually are ..
stay away from the diet industry as well .. those foods are packed with crap and will not give you what you need .. A full fat Greek yogurt will give you the essentials fats that will fill you up and curb the cravings for junk .. I didn't believe any of this until I tried it .. if a food says it's fat free the. It's packed full of sugar etc to give it flavour ..
if you write your food habits down and can see them in writing , then this helps to break that " naughty secret " vibe you get from the junk food .. if it's not a secret , then it's not as nice , if this makes sense ?

The bottom line here is hard to hear , but it is a reality check .. where do you want to be this time next year ? Are you going to weigh a few stone more and be more disabled and miserable because the NHS won't go through with your op because of your eating habits ? I know the NHS are tough with the guidelines ?
Or .. are you going to breath deep , hold your head up and tackle your addiction .. and make no mistakes about it , food is an addiction , we've all walked this path .. your not alone in this .. Time is never on our side is it and each day brings new challenges for us foodies , but you have to fight with all you have to win this ..
I could not even get a consultation for NHS even with knackered knees and weighing over 25st and vastly becoming disabled .. You've been given a chance some of us have been denied , so dig deep hun and think about what you really want and why ..
You have the strength to do this , you must do this ..
xxxx

Wow that was good going ! ..
It's easy for someone to say you need to find the triggers but that's what you need to do .. try keeping a diary , honestly it really helps .. write everything in it .. when it comes to food then write that all in there also .. writing it down and admitting to it is , for me , the first way to admit to be being a food addict .. I would just assume most of us on here were carbohydrate addicts , look it up and read up in these deadly carbs and just how addictive they actually are ..
stay away from the diet industry as well .. those foods are packed with crap and will not give you what you need .. A full fat Greek yogurt will give you the essentials fats that will fill you up and curb the cravings for junk .. I didn't believe any of this until I tried it .. if a food says it's fat free the. It's packed full of sugar etc to give it flavour ..
if you write your food habits down and can see them in writing , then this helps to break that " naughty secret " vibe you get from the junk food .. if it's not a secret , then it's not as nice , if this makes sense ?

The bottom line here is hard to hear , but it is a reality check .. where do you want to be this time next year ? Are you going to weigh a few stone more and be more disabled and miserable because the NHS won't go through with your op because of your eating habits ? I know the NHS are tough with the guidelines ?
Or .. are you going to breath deep , hold your head up and tackle your addiction .. and make no mistakes about it , food is an addiction , we've all walked this path .. your not alone in this .. Time is never on our side is it and each day brings new challenges for us foodies , but you have to fight with all you have to win this ..
I could not even get a consultation for NHS even with knackered knees and weighing over 25st and vastly becoming disabled .. You've been given a chance some of us have been denied , so dig deep hun and think about what you really want and why ..
You have the strength to do this , you must do this ..
xxxx
Thanks country wench. Tough life is what I need and a whole re think of my attitude to this. Thanks much appreciated xx

Is there someone in your team you can contact for support? We all have done this in the past and there is no logical answer as to why we sabotage ourselves. Important thing is that you recognised it and make changes to limit damage asap. Bring back the good food behaviours that you were using before - plan and prepare so you have the right foods in the house and prepared ready to grab or snack or eat when required. My saying used to be "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" and I found that to be oh so true!

Don't beat yourself up, put your energy into focussing on your meeting with the surgeon!

Is there someone in your team you can contact for support? We all have done this in the past and there is no logical answer as to why we sabotage ourselves. Important thing is that you recognised it and make changes to limit damage asap. Bring back the good food behaviours that you were using before - plan and prepare so you have the right foods in the house and prepared ready to grab or snack or eat when required. My saying used to be "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" and I found that to be oh so true!

Don't beat yourself up, put your energy into focussing on your meeting with the surgeon!
Thanks Hannah. I am grateful for the support. I am afraid to contact my team as I fear they will view me as a failure and not let me have the surgery. I had a much better day yesterday and wrote down everything I ate and feel much better this morning. I know the support is here on the forum but this is something I have to do myself. Thanks again xxx

Morning Maria
The team should be there to support you no matter what so don't be afraid ..Be totally honest with them , I'm sure they will be supportive and give some advice .. Have you done the liver diet yet ? That might be a good idea to kick start your regime ? I liked the diet as it was total restriction on food other than what was on the list ..
Don't hide your " guilt " with your eating , admitting what's happening is a good form of therapy ... Even if you d t want to speak out loud about it , write it down , I promise is helps ...
mindy
Xxxx

I agree with @countrywench i am sure your team would rather you contact them than hide your struggle - you were doing well and this is a blip - there is a reason why we are offered surgery on the NHS and they are totally aware how hard this is - you still have time to pull things back before seeing the surgeon so don't focus on thinking that your surgery will be delayed.

Do you find visual things help? I did slimming world before my op and I printed off an image of an ice cream cone (it could be anything - mine was a focus for my holiday) and I split the image up with horizontal lines to give bands that I coloured in every time I lost a lb at weigh in. The number of bands represented how much I wanted to lose before my holiday. It really helped me - I had one on the fridge at home and one on my computer at work - it helped me focus when I reached for food - did I really need it, would it mean I wouldn't colour in any bands that week!

Anything like that that will help is worth doing - write a list of all the reasons you want surgery or all the things you want to do or buy after surgery and put that in the kitchen - things that jog your memory and distract you from food!

Keep us updated and we will help if we can!

Thanks very much lovely ladies, help much appreciated. I will keep you updated. I am going on holiday on Saturday for a week so will have to do my very best to get back on track xx

Maria I'm so sorry I have only just come across this post, I don't know why this happens as I am following you, anyway I had no idea you were going through this tough time, I feel awful for not supporting you through it, how are you getting on now, do you feel your back on track, I was originally searching for you to ask how your holiday went. The team really should have an understanding of just how difficult this journey is prior to getting the tool to help us as well as after surgery so we shouldn't be afraid to contact them, I don't know about you but when I started back in June 16 I saw Abu (I think that was her name) and she really did emphasise the fact that I could call them if I was struggling. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and big hugs :hugs: xx ps what date do you go in June ?

I've just checked out your other posts.......I'm there on 15th June too !!!!! My appointment is at 1.00pm. Fingers crossed yours is around then too Xx

Hey Maria! Sorry to hear you're struggling. I think it's quite common for people trying for weight loss surgery to have a bit of a blow out when things start to seem more real. For me, it was right after my first appointment with my dietitian. I think i literally ate everything in sight. I was lucky that it was around the new year so i used that then for motivation to get myself back on track before the next appointment. But i made sure i told my dietitian about it because i promised myself i would always be honest with them if i was serious about getting the help i thought i needed. And to my relief she actually told me it was really normal and that almost everyone shes seen at some point has gone a bit crazy. She says that people convince themselves they wont be able to eat the things they enjoy after the op so they get as much of those things in as they can before they have it. Like a last goodbye lol
Hopefully you get back on track! Remind yourself of all the reasons you wanted to do this in the first place. Take it one day at a time :) if you have a bad day you don't have to make it a bad week. Good luck! Xx

I've just checked out your other posts.......I'm there on 15th June too !!!!! My appointment is at 1.00pm. Fingers crossed yours is around then too Xx
Thanks Bling. Still struggling and feeling down. Holiday was great but on milk again this week to get my self going. Thanks for caring. So sorry they are putting pressure on you to not lose any more weight. I thought it was your BMI at he beginning that counted. My appointments on 15 June are 2.30 and 3.30 to see surgeon and anaesthetist. I don't know how to post a photo of me on her e but if you email me I can send you a picture so you can recognise me if we see each other there. Mail is mariawhitlock@hot mail.co.uk. Thanks again xxx

Hey Maria! Sorry to hear you're struggling. I think it's quite common for people trying for weight loss surgery to have a bit of a blow out when things start to seem more real. For me, it was right after my first appointment with my dietitian. I think i literally ate everything in sight. I was lucky that it was around the new year so i used that then for motivation to get myself back on track before the next appointment. But i made sure i told my dietitian about it because i promised myself i would always be honest with them if i was serious about getting the help i thought i needed. And to my relief she actually told me it was really normal and that almost everyone shes seen at some point has gone a bit crazy. She says that people convince themselves they wont be able to eat the things they enjoy after the op so they get as much of those things in as they can before they have it. Like a last goodbye lol
Hopefully you get back on track! Remind yourself of all the reasons you wanted to do this in the first place. Take it one day at a time :) if you have a bad day you don't have to make it a bad week. Good luck! Xx
Dear Victoria thank you so very much for your kind words and encouragement, very much appreciated. It rul is a struggle isn't it. Thanks again and good luck to you xx

Morning Maria :)
I hope you and Bling can meet up because during hard times we need someone who is walking the same path as us .. They are the only ones who know how we feel and what we are dealing with .. Maybe you and Bling could be each others sponsors ?
How are you dealing with your food at the moment and have you identified any triggers as of yet ? Boredom and habit probably at the top of the list ? How about buying yourself a good book to get lost in .. Its spring time so tackle the garden and begin a project to revamp it for next to nothing .. Scavenging items is brilliant fun ! If you have an addictive personality like me , you'll find something that will fill your brain with ideas ..
Decorating is another thing to keep you busy , again you could scavenge for this . Ask on Facebook or surrounding Facebays for excess paints etc .. You'd be surprised at what people have hanging about .. I've been painting up some thrown out furniture , replaced handles with cheap ones I got off Amazon .. cost me next to nothing to make them look amazing , see pic below .
Spring cleaning is another good thing .. Collect for a car boot ..
Stay with us , tell us what's going on and we might be able to come up with solutions
Hugs
Mindy
Xxx

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    983.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks Bling. Still struggling and feeling down. Holiday was great but on milk again this week to get my self going. Thanks for caring. So sorry they are putting pressure on you to not lose any more weight. I thought it was your BMI at he beginning that counted. My appointments on 15 June are 2.30 and 3.30 to see surgeon and anaesthetist. I don't know how to post a photo of me on her e but if you email me I can send you a picture so you can recognise me if we see each other there. Mail is mariawhitlock@hot mail.co.uk. Thanks again xxx
Hi Hun
I have tried to mail you but I'm getting an invalid address message ? Xx

Morning Maria :)
I hope you and Bling can meet up because during hard times we need someone who is walking the same path as us .. They are the only ones who know how we feel and what we are dealing with .. Maybe you and Bling could be each others sponsors ?
How are you dealing with your food at the moment and have you identified any triggers as of yet ? Boredom and habit probably at the top of the list ? How about buying yourself a good book to get lost in .. Its spring time so tackle the garden and begin a project to revamp it for next to nothing .. Scavenging items is brilliant fun ! If you have an addictive personality like me , you'll find something that will fill your brain with ideas ..
Decorating is another thing to keep you busy , again you could scavenge for this . Ask on Facebook or surrounding Facebays for excess paints etc .. You'd be surprised at what people have hanging about .. I've been painting up some thrown out furniture , replaced handles with cheap ones I got off Amazon .. cost me next to nothing to make them look amazing , see pic below .
Spring cleaning is another good thing .. Collect for a car boot ..
Stay with us , tell us what's going on and we might be able to come up with solutions
Hugs
Mindy
Xxx
ThanksMindy, you are all so kind, this has made me cry. I am sitting here drinking milk which is helping me get together again. I hope I can meet Bling or email her. Thanks again xxx
Hi Hun
I have tried to mail you but I'm getting an invalid address message ? Xx
that is odd because it is [email protected]

Maybe you could try again xx

Maria. Sorry you are struggling, I too am struggling a little but determined to get it back, I am not prepared to lose this wonderful opportunity. But while waiting for consultant appointment I do feel as though im in limbo.
If you are drinking alot of milk try melting a chicken oxo cube with an inch of hot water then top up with boiling milk and its just like chicken soup.
Milky coffee is of course filling too.
Come on, we can fight the demons together. We can and we will do this. Xx

ThanksMindy, you are all so kind, this has made me cry. I am sitting here drinking milk which is helping me get together again. I hope I can meet Bling or email her. Thanks again xxx

that is odd because it is [email protected]

Maybe you could try again xx
Yay it's sent this time x let me know if you don't get it Xx

Aw anytime Maria! I think that's the most amazing thing about this forum. We can all understand and support each other 'cause at some point i think we've all felt or done the same things and whether pre op or post op we still all have the same struggle.. FOOD!
It was my nephews Birthday this last weekend and with the warmer weather we had a BBQ too.. so that was challenging for me and i'm sad to say i failed! But i'm back on the wagon and trying to take my own advice about the bad day not turning into a bad week thing. So you're definitely not alone! we all have set backs and bad days. It's how we move on from them that makes all the difference in the long run and it seems like you've made the good choice :D Be proud of what you're doing in the present and stop beating yourself up about what you did in the past :hugs:

Maria. Sorry you are struggling, I too am struggling a little but determined to get it back, I am not prepared to lose this wonderful opportunity. But while waiting for consultant appointment I do feel as though im in limbo.
If you are drinking alot of milk try melting a chicken oxo cube with an inch of hot water then top up with boiling milk and its just like chicken soup.
Thanks Vicky everyone here is amazing and the support really helps xxxx
Yay it's sent this time x let me know if you don't get it Xx
Hi Bling got your email and youur lovely photo. Have just emailed you back. Do hope we see each other on 15June. I will try to come early that day to see you. The other 2 ladies I met at the MDT will be there too but later in the day. Thanks again xxxx

Back