• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band with lower BMI (32)

Hey my bmi was 30 when I got my band I have had it just over 3 months I started at 14 st 2 1/2 now I am 12 9 1/2 so slowly but surely working I have 6ml in a 10ml band and think the band is just starting to work with restriction now xx

That's fantastic! I don't expect the weight to drop off quickly! But hope to loose 3 stone over 9-12 months. I'm 12 1/2 stone and 5ft 3" now so would like to be in the 9 1/2 stone range. I think it takes longer when there's not as much to loose (that's what others have told me anyway) my sister had a bypass last yr and lost 10 stone in a year! How have you found it all so far? Is it manageable or a struggle? Where did you have your op and who with?
Thanks for getting in touch :0)

It is harder than I thought I think everyone thinks get the band and the weight will fall off, this isn't the case. I initially lost some weight straight after the op with being on liquids. After that I could still eat quite large portions I don't see myself as greedy but it's temping to try and see how much u can eat if you know what I mean. Now with having 4 fills I can feel the benefits of the band my portions are way smaller and I don't seem to enjoy food like I use to! Which is great exactly what I wanted! Before I would think mmm McDonald's now I actually don't and I look forward to salads!! Lol so it does take a while for body and mind to get use to it. I am much happier now tho I'm a smaller size and a lot more confidence:) even if it is a pound a week I could easily be putting on 3 a week without the band!
I had mine at Dolan park on 22nd sep with dr halstead would definitely reccomend the hospital group there great! And good luck to you you'll do it :) xx

Oh and none of my lifestyle has changed I still go out for meals and drinks regular and feel so happy asking for smaller portions! Feels weird leaving stuff on my plate I would never have done this before! :) xx

Yes I'm hoping it will help control portion sizes which I think is my problem! But think im still going to struggle with the temptations of sweet foods! I'm hoping that parting with the money and going through an op changes my mind set! Mr halstead is doing mine, 2 weeks to go! You're right about the weight going in the right direction, if i don't do this i know the lbs will keep creeping up! Keep in touch & let me know how you're getting on xx

u goin to dolan park ill be honest all this bmi is a bit ridiculous its got to be more about how u feel as a person was happy when i went for consult friday and no pre op diet as i hate milk lol xx

Yes Dolan park. I just want to be healthy and fit into nice clothes! Good luck with your op, let me know how u get on

i totally see wot yur saying i want to feel better in my clothes hav a bit more confidence both sides of my family hav weight related heart disease and diabetes i lost my dad when he was 64 im 44 now so the numbers arent in my favour xx

Sorry to hear that. My sister was 25 stone before having a bypass, my mums diabetic and I too have lost my dad :0( I'm 29 next week so want to do something about my weight so hopefully won't get any weight related health issues. I also have two little girls and hope to change all our eating habits so they don't follow in my footsteps!

thats the best thing about this site being able to chat to people who see things the same way u do my friends at work think im nuts but when yuv seen someone suffer that way it makes u look at things differently xx

Hi Suz1968

I had a band on 15th November. I had to justify this as I too funded it. I was 17 stone and in a size 20/22. A lot of people I told said your not that big , just diet. But I had talked about it for so long , that I knew it was now or never. I did loads of research and know that the band is the hardest way as you still have to have will power. I have had a small fill and due to have another one on 15th jan, hopefully this will give me more restriction.

I've decided not to tell anyone, only my husband. I don't want to have to justify what I've done to anyone and don't want to worry about people's opinions. I'm finding this forum excellent as I aren't discussing it with anyone else and think I'm probably driving the hubby mad talking about it non stop!

Hi Suz1968

I had a band on 15th November. I had to justify this as I too funded it. I was 17 stone and in a size 20/22. A lot of people I told said your not that big , just diet. But I had talked about it for so long , that I knew it was now or never. I did loads of research and know that the band is the hardest way as you still have to have will power. I have had a small fill and due to have another one on 15th jan, hopefully this will give me more restriction.

Liquidgold, you don't have to justify anything to us. I went to get band at BMI 31-32. I have been trying to loose weight for ages, and while it always worked short-term, as soon as I got off the diet, the weight would creep back and even higher than it was before. People were also always telling me that I am not that big (whenever I was on a new diet) but I noticed it was mostly the people who were slim themselves and would not have a clue how they would feel with my figure. It is so easy to judge others 'it is not so bad' if you don't live with it yourself. I decided to go for the band, did my research, decided that for me it is worth of the risks, and I haven't regretted it yet. But I did not mention the band to my 'friends'. I like them, but I don't expect them to understand.

Back