• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band with lower BMI (32)

ki-ki

Hi guys!

Hope you're all getting on well on your journeys - you're all really inspiring.

I was hoping someone could advise me about getting a band with a BMI on the lower end of the scale. Mine's 32 and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the band.

I've been overweight since a childhood and want to have a fresh start.

Has anyone else got the band with a similar BMI and what have your losses been like? I'm hoping to go from 13st to around 8.7 / 9st.

Thanks!
K

-Sally-

Hello Ki-ki
I was also a very low BMI - but I'm only one month post-op, and don't have my first fill until mid January - so other than the pre-op weight loss - mine hasn't started yet - but I'll keep you informed as I go along.
Sally

Sashie1977

I had my band fitted when I had a low BMI, as you can see it didnt work for me, I had many problems (nothing to do with the fact my BMI was lower!) and I have converted to a sleeve.
I think if your surgeon is happy to go ahead then there shouldn't be a problem. If it works for you , then it's probably the best way to go as once you get to your desired weight, you can have it removed. :) xx

Hanako

I had BMI somewhere between 31-32. I had the surgery just 4 weeks ago. I can't say if it works long term for me, but I have lost about a stone since the surgery. However, I can't tell you whether I am loosing weight because of the band or not. As you know, the band only helps when you reach the sweet spot (that means when you are having enough fill to keep you satisfied on low portions). At the time of my surgery I got 3 ml fill in 10 ml band, so of course I am nowhere near my sweet spot and therefore do feel hungry quite a lot. (Mind you, this may change now when I am allowed proper food. Until now I have been 2 weeks on liquids and then 2 weeks on mashed food, so maybe the normal food will be more filling.) I think the weight loss has been more about my will power than about the band. Saying that, I can't imagine that I would last so long on normal dieting without the band, so maybe the band does help somehow even before it reaches the sweet spot. I was wondering if they did some brain implant while they were doing the band surgery. Before having band I couldn't stop eating. I didn't feel that I was in control of food (not like eating disorder, more like being 'too nice' to myself, being unable to say no to myself and being unable to stop eating until I finished what was on my plate). After the surgery, although I am frequently hungry, I can stop eating much earlier (as soon as I don't feel hungry) and I can make choices regarding food (like not to have the dessert after I ate the main course). I feel much more in control. But still hungry! My first fill is in the middle of December. I can't wait!

libbyb

I got a band at bmi 31. I am a gym addict and never ate junk but weight didnt want to budge. Since I've had the band I went to a decent doctor who has said the lapband is only fixing a symptom. I suggest investing in a decent holistic doctor that might be able to help with hormones etc. then you might be able to save the $$.

Hanako

I exercise a lot (2 hours a day of vigorous exercise) and my weight did not move either. Now the weight is moving down. That's all I need to know. At this moment, I am happy with my Anna (the band).

Paul-H

Hi

Just remember at your BMI you won't get NHS funding so it will be a private surgery for you, also you will find that some private surgeons won't do WLS if you BMI is below 35, although many will, as long as you are paying.

Paul

Sashie1977

Paul H is correct. I had to beg my surgeon. I went to see him 3 times and he kept refusing. On the third go, I pleaded with him and the nurse and he agreed to it. I think he knew I would keep pestering him but I knew if I didn't do something I would be double the size by the following year and I wasn't prepared to wait! It really is all down to the surgeon. Good luck! :) xx

lilypersian

Hi Ki-Ki,
I've had a band and my BMI was on the lower side but had my op with THG privately. When I explained my eating habits to the surgeon, he didn't question me at all. I was always the first to finish eating, and could eat huge amounts. Have been on a diet for as long as I can remember, and tried them all!
I had my op in August weighing 12st 9lb, i'm 5" tall(or short) so not a good weight to be. I had 3ml put in my 10ml band at the time of surgery, i've had a few fills, one last week taking me up to 6.3ml. I did feel restriction straight away, but felt hungry every few hours, but after my last fill, think I have found the place I need to be! The aim is to have 3 meals a day, and to feel satisfied til your next meal, and i'm there!!
I can eat all things, red meat, bread, pasta, but I have to chew everything so well as i've had a few experiences wherei've been hungry and eaten quickly/not chewed enough and the pain is horrific!! This is a good reminder for me, but it is difficult as i'm having to change a lifetimes habit!!
I love my band, this is what I needed, something to limit the amount I can eat, and I now weigh 11st 1lb, my lightest for 2 years. I would like to be 9st( I think I was born this weight, as its all a distant memory)!!!!But I know I would not have lost this weight without the band. The hardest thing for me too is I havent told everyone, i'm usually a blabbermouth about my business but only my fiancee and a good friend know!!
Sorry for the essay, but hope this helps you, knowledge is power!!!
Good luck on your journey!
Lilypersian
xx

ki-ki

thank you all so much for your responses - they've all been really helpful.

i'm currently talking to thg about going privately, possibly in january. sally / hanako, i'm looking forward to hearing about your journey and losses!

lily your experiences sound very similar to mine - do keep me updated on your progress - have you found your loss has been consistent or slowing down etc?

x

lilypersian

hi Ki Ki,
I've lost 3 pounds since my fill last week. It had slowed down quite a bit but that was down to my food choices, not the band. I'm finally feeling less hungry and definately eating less/smaller amounts. The aim is to lose 1-2 lbs a week and over the 16 weeks since my op, it works out just fine. I did have some weeks where I didn't lose anything, but hopefully i'm on the move again!
How are you getting on with THG? My experience with them has been great, no problems with the op. My appointments with the dietician and nurse for the fills have been good too, no problems.
If there is anything you want to ask, feel free, you can ask anything.
Lilypersian
xx

joanne h

I am not in your situation as my BMI is HUGE! However a friend of mine had a band with the hospital group with a much lower BMI. She has been really successful but has found the weight loss slow at times. I put this down to having less to lose so the initial impact of eating less is not a great as those with higher BMIs. If you can cope with this then it could be the right thing to do. Good luck with your decision x

missdmac

I had BMI somewhere between 31-32. I had the surgery just 4 weeks ago. I can't say if it works long term for me, but I have lost about a stone since the surgery. However, I can't tell you whether I am loosing weight because of the band or not. As you know, the band only helps when you reach the sweet spot (that means when you are having enough fill to keep you satisfied on low portions). At the time of my surgery I got 3 ml fill in 10 ml band, so of course I am nowhere near my sweet spot and therefore do feel hungry quite a lot. (Mind you, this may change now when I am allowed proper food. Until now I have been 2 weeks on liquids and then 2 weeks on mashed food, so maybe the normal food will be more filling.) I think the weight loss has been more about my will power than about the band. Saying that, I can't imagine that I would last so long on normal dieting without the band, so maybe the band does help somehow even before it reaches the sweet spot. I was wondering if they did some brain implant while they were doing the band surgery. Before having band I couldn't stop eating. I didn't feel that I was in control of food (not like eating disorder, more like being 'too nice' to myself, being unable to say no to myself and being unable to stop eating until I finished what was on my plate). After the surgery, although I am frequently hungry, I can stop eating much earlier (as soon as I don't feel hungry) and I can make choices regarding food (like not to have the dessert after I ate the main course). I feel much more in control. But still hungry! My first fill is in the middle of December. I can't wait!

I'm so glad you wrote this I feel this way too I think my will power is doing this not the band. I should have my first fill in Jan. I'm Nearly 3 weeks in I actually had a tiny Chinese tonight Noodles, chicken Hong Kong style and had no trouble, I thought I may have got the full feeling but not happened yet xx

fattyfatty

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this thread. I gave up on exercise and all sorts of diets because they never seemed to work for me. Since losing my father in a tragic accident, I have relied on food! Working out in gym has never been a problem for me, portion control was the underlying issue for me.

I got married this year and seeing my wedding and honeymoon photos really upset me. It is then that I decided to do something serious about it.

My bmi is 31 an I am 5'2 tall 28 years old. I never was slim, even as a child I was quiet chubby and it stayed with me throughout my teen and adult years.

So after months of researching, I decided to go for the band privately with hospital group in bromsgrove. My surgeon was Dr Surgussdon.

My op took place on the 13th of December and my first fill is scheduled in for 22nd January.

I have been on fluids, my husband took me for a walk today to relieve the tapped gas. My husband is from a medical background and although he didn't agree to this op initially, he agree to support me after realising how much I wanted this! He has been very good.

I am in between switching jobs and my new job starts in January which gives me plenty of time to recover.

I know I have made the right decision because I need assistance in portion control which is what this band will provide for me. I can't wait to get back in the gym and start working out.

Good luck to all

janice123

Hi

I've just had consultation and having band in 3 weeks, my bmi is 30.6. Consultant said he thinks I should loose all excess weight in a year providing I put in the effort! I hope this is true. Did anyone with low bmi have to do the Pre op diet? He never mentioned it and I forgot to ask.

-Sally-

Hello Janice
Yes, I had to do the pre-op liver shrinking diet. I was told just to do one week - but I did two anyway - I wanted to reduce my liver size as much as I could for the operation to ensure as few risks as possible.

janice123

Good luck ki ki, I'm 12th jan at Dolan Park...mixture of feelings, I'm excited but anxious. Who are you having your op with? Ill let you know how I get on! X