• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been through hell!!

Crazy Lady

I had a 10ml band in July 2012. My first fill in September took me to 6mls and my second fill was in November and took me up to 7mls. This was on a Wednesday and by the Friday I was unable to keep anything including my saliva down. Called my provider emergency line on the Saturday morning and was advised the nearest clinic open that day was in London but I could go to my local hospital and not tell them I had had my surgery done privately. I asked if I could go to the hospital in the next town as they have a big bariatric department but was told they were not on the recommended list. So I opted to be driven the 1.5 hours to Hammersmith, vomiting all the way, where a very nice nurse immediately asked why I hadn't gone to the hospital in the next town. Grrrr:mad: she took 0.5 mls out of the band giving instant relief and advised me to wait a month before getting the 0.5mls replaced.
Being Christmas I left it 2 months and then 10 days ago went to the clinic and the nurse decided a 0.4 ml fill would be appropriate. Guided by her recommendation I consented. By last Sunday morning (4 days later) I was back to be unable to swallow my saliva and then began vomiting coffee grounds so come Sunday evening I took myself to the A&E department in the next town where I was put on a drip overnight and given IV Omeprazole and awaited a visit from a consultant on the Monday morning. Come the morning a registrar from the bariatric team visited me complete with Huber needles. She wanted to completely defil my band which I was not about to consent to. So we agreed to the removal of 1ml. Then after several attempts she was unable to locate the appropriate area of my port to get the fluid out and decided to wait to go and send her consultant. The lovely consultant then came to see me and informed me my port has twisted superiorly but was able to remove the 1ml. So after 2 unsuccessful fills I am back to the 6mls I had after my first fill. I have lost 18 kgs since my pre-op assessment so am happy with that but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience as I am not sure where I go from here? I am not eating large amounts at the moment as my stomach is still really sore after last weekend but I am sure the hunger will return.
I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions which could help me.
Thanks

Hi Crazy just wanted to send my love so sorry to hear your problems Im sure someone with advice will be along soon. Take Care. xx

Hi crazy lady I also just wanted to say hi, and to say how sorry I am that you have had such a rough time of it.. There are loads of banders here on the forum and I'm sure someone will be along who will be able to give you some support and advice xx

If you see your hunger come back could you try it more gradually like 0.25 ml at the time? Just to avoid further drama as you have had enough of that!

I don't know about bands and fills etc but I hope you manage to get sorted out soon xxx good luck and take care :)

Sorry to hear you have been having problems, im a bypasser so dont know anything about living with a band, but i do understand having daily problems and hospital visits, keep your chin up and all will get sorted, have they told you if you need the port untangling? doen't sound like something that can be a good thing? xx take care hun xx

Back