• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bit philosophical, but, how do you think you got so heavy?

Similar to you all, I overate - not necessarily the bad things either mind... I was brought up by a mother and grandmother who could feed the third world - there was always food on offer! We would have proper dinners each day and pies and pastry at the weekends. Biscuits were never off limits and I was allowed free reign of the fridge and larder anytime day or night.

Also, food was used to stifle or express emotions and still is today... bad habits learned over almost 40 years are very hard to break.

I agree that 'Faddy' dieting has contributed to some extent - the pre-diet clear out, the guilt when you slip slightly which then leads to a landslide... time after time without fail, rather than developing healthy eating and exercise habits. If only I'd had hindsight....:sigh:

If we had watched our best friend,or someone we loved sabotaging themselves like this, we would step in and try to talk them out of it. Why is it we don't extend the same care to ourselves?

I don't think this is always the case. I got to 30 stone, and no one including very close friends and immediate family said a word to me. Once I lost the weight, I was told by nearly everyone that they never realised I was so big. When I started gaining the weight again, no one even blinked an eyelid.

The only people who would mention my weight were people having a dig and just being nasty, so of course I took that to heart and comfort ate.

I wish I could say I wasn't fat I was just big boned, that old chestnut, but I got fat through eating too much of the wrong foods and being unable to maintain any weight loss that I previously had.

What a great thread and so many common things shared by us all. Im with you novamay as you summed me up perfectly in your reply.
Ive tried really hard not to put my relationship with food onto my children and so far i think i have succeeded but upbringing has a lot to answer for - and be grateful for - too.
jO XX

GREED is mine, i have a greedy personality, i have to have everything......its not just about food.

I'm like Poppy, i have binge eating disorder. I always thought I just overate, but in reality my problem was more about restriction which always failed and ended up with secret eating. I can remember bingeing at 5 yrs old so food has been an issue for many years.

Of course over the years my self esteem crumbled away and I stopped thinking I was worth looking after. I saw little point in losing weight because I didn't think I was a good person inside. Being fat was my way of telling everyone to back off and leave me alone. Then as the years progressed I got heavier and heavier and it became harder to move around. Now my knees are too bad for me to do much exercise and I'm still gaining weight despite barely bingeing any more.

Back