• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood sugar levels?

PurpleKylie22

Hi, I got an accu-check thing from e-bay, its new so that I can check my levels before doctor on Thursday when I ask for weight loss surgery, I wanted to see if there was a chance I have diabetes...
Well I dont. but Im not sure if my levels are a little low? I tested after I hadnt eaten for about 12 hours and got a 4.1 then I tested an hour after eating and drinking and got 6.1.
I thought normal was 4-7 fasting and 7-10 after food? Although maybe Im wrong and Im perfectly normal :8855:

I hate to say it but your perfectly normal!!

Those are good bloods. x

I've got to admit, that wasnt really what I wanted to hear, but I suspected it myself. Oh well, thank you anyway!

Why would you wish diabetes on yourself?:eek:

Sorry but I think that's madness. It's a terrible thing to live with and if left unchecked can lead to horrible complications.

You should be thanking your lucky stars!!!!

Caz, I know it sounds stupid! Please understand, that I am glad. BUT my area has strict rules on NHS weight loss surgery, unless you have co-morbidites you dont qualify unless your BMI is 60+. Mine is 51 and I am very likely to be turned down tomorrow. I just dont have 11 grand to go private. I dont have good Credit score to get credit. If I thought I had any chance of paying for it myself, I would.
If I had diabetes it would be a completely different story and I would likely get the help I need.

Last edited:
I'm sorry i'm with Purple on this Caz! It's awful for some patients when their pct demands a comorbidity or they be massively overweight to get surgery. In cases like purples you are actually relieved to have a life threatening illness so you can have a surgery to save your life!

I was blessed in that my pct makes no demands and asks no comorbidities it automatically funds. However been diabetic i knew if things changed i still had my trump card...

Blooming awful that people have to wish theirselves sick to save their lives :(

And purple i'd still ask for sleep apnoea tests as well as a hospital tested fasting blood sugar.. xx

I plan to just incase. Aswell as intracranial hypertension although the test for that is a spinal tap, so I wont push as hard for that. I have just realised that I have heart problems through my dads family aswell, my dad and grandma died young of heart attacks, so maybe I should ask about that? Can they take into account colesterol levels and things to?

I don't know if they take family history into account, although they might if you have to appeal...

I wouldn't leave a stone unturned if i were you xx

I am sorry if I offended, this was not my intention but being a diabetic myself, I would not wish it on any one.

I am fortunate now it is under control but when I saw my doctor almost 2 years ago I had ulcers on my legs and my eyes were suffering...was almost put on life time medication for pressures in eyes.

I am glad I got this operation but wish I had not reached such poor health to half qualified for it.

My legs still bear the scars....

Caz, Im really sorry - that sounds like it was awful, its horrible that you had to go through that and Im really glad that it is under control now.
I hate that the NHS is so demanding and the area differences I really wish I didnt have to"hope" for illnesses like diabetes but I am not alone in doing so and I think it shows just how bad the NHS really is.
I didnt mean to offend you or anyone else who suffers with diabetes, its just a sign of a desperate woman.

I think that across the board the NICE guidelines should be:

Anyone with BMI over 50 should qualify and anyone with BMI over 40 with co-morbidity.

Everyone should see a dietician, a psychiatrist and endocrinologist.

Everyone should get counselling on how these operations change your lives.

Everyone should get lifetime support with diet and general fitness advice.

Caz -I agree with you completely. I might change itslightly to say anyone owith BMI of over 45 or over 40 with co-morbidites, but in general I agree. I think the NICE Guidelines are a little low and I think there should be a UK wide set of guidlines all areas must adhere to after all places dont check your arm to see what degree of broken it is before fixing it.

Im sorry Moomingirl, I am not sure.

Back