• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes Test Help Please! Oonion?? UPDATED

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
I just want to ask for some advise and I have got a feeling that Oonion is a diabetic nurse?

My hubby is just about to have an over 40's check up and had to go for a fasting blood test on Wednesday. On Thursday morning he got a phone call to say his glucose levels were raised and they want him to go again Tuesday for another test.
What do you think this means?
Do you think he may have diabetes or not?
His Mom and his Dad and his uncles on his Moms side have got diabetes.

Last edited:
Hi

It is possible, I was nearly 50 when I got Diabeties, to be sure they should do a GTT as a random high is not nesesarily an indication and sometimes they panic, I was once told my glucose was high when it tested at 5.7 but if it said 5.6 I would have classes as fine.

It may just be a bit high and he needs to watch his diet a bit more, it can be diet controlled, how heavy is he.

Paul

An ex diabetic now I have had my bypass.

Last edited:
Hi - my son is diabetic, type 1, and my husband's mum and nana both have type 2.
Sometimes you can get the odd high reading, and it be nothing to worry about. Everybody's blood sugar levels fluctuate.
However, my husband has been told that there is a very strong genetic link with type 2. If both of your hubbie's parents have type 2, then there will be a greater chance that he has it.
Saying that, when my mother-in-law was diagnosed, they admitted her straight to hospital on receiving the results, so they can't be that worried. Fingers crossed that it's just something to monitor.

Even if he is diagnosed with type 2, it can be well controlled with food choice - my mother in law only takes tablets, but nana refuses to change what she eats, so she has one injection each day.

Let us know what happens - I remember spending ages in blind panic when my son was diagnosed, and thinking we were never going to cope with injections and monitoring, but it does just become part of your everyday routine, and amazingly quickly.

I hope you don't worry too much, and that his tests are fine.
x

From our experiences if you have two fasting blood tests that are in the diabetic range they will treat you as diabetic. They know you can get a random high one, which is why it has to be two. If he gets a second one within the range they will decide what to do from there.

Hi Wendy

It could just be a random raised glucose, was it fasting do you know?

For diagnostic purposes without symptoms i.e no excessive thirst, no waking in the night to Pee, no tiredness etc then you have to have 2 fasting glucose tests - with symptoms you only need 1 fasting blood test for diagnosis...if the range is above 6.1mmols but below 7mmols then we usually class this as "impaired fasting glucose" or "impaired glucose tolerance" both of these really mean that you are Pre-diabetic so all the risk factors of a diabetic are up against you too, and you need to start to behave like a diabetic - increase physical activity, stop smoking, reduce blood pressure, reduce cholesterol and cut down on sugars, this is what we call the "diabetic hand" and that is the order of importance also - people get all worried and think right no more sugar, when all the other things are actually more important initially.

Oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) are not really very accurate for diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and only really used nowadays to differentiate between the two pre diabetic stages or gestational diabetes.

I do hope it is just a random raised, but feel free to PM me or ask anything else.

Good Luck
Danni
x

However if his fasting blood tests come back below 6.1 mmols then he is not diabetic at the moment!

My dad had one raised test so had to go for another one which was normal :) it turns out the beer he had the day before took longer to come out of his system which produced the raised test, even though he fasted from when told to do so. X

Hi Wendy

It could just be a random raised glucose, was it fasting do you know?

For diagnostic purposes without symptoms i.e no excessive thirst, no waking in the night to Pee, no tiredness etc then you have to have 2 fasting glucose tests - with symptoms you only need 1 fasting blood test for diagnosis...if the range is above 6.1mmols but below 7mmols then we usually class this as "impaired fasting glucose" or "impaired glucose tolerance" both of these really mean that you are Pre-diabetic so all the risk factors of a diabetic are up against you too, and you need to start to behave like a diabetic - increase physical activity, stop smoking, reduce blood pressure, reduce cholesterol and cut down on sugars, this is what we call the "diabetic hand" and that is the order of importance also - people get all worried and think right no more sugar, when all the other things are actually more important initially.

Oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) are not really very accurate for diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and only really used nowadays to differentiate between the two pre diabetic stages or gestational diabetes.

I do hope it is just a random raised, but feel free to PM me or ask anything else.

Good Luck
Danni
x

However if his fasting blood tests come back below 6.1 mmols then he is not diabetic at the moment!

Thanks Oonion I have just read out what you have said and he is pulling the usual face LOL
I was in hospital after having my tummy tuck else I would have been here taking the call. He said they have said "it's slightly raised" Yes he did fast and again tonight :D
I hope things are better with this next test and this will shock him into taking more exercise and eating better (hardly eats breakfast, chocolate/cakes/ biscuits for lunch and hits the biscuits before and after tea) He has got an active job but does no other exercise.
In fact I'm amazed that he isn't heavier than he is 17st 8lb and 6ft 1"

Thank you every one for the advice.
I haven't needed to know much about diabetes until now
I'm sure I will be back to ask more

He's on the road then, despite what the numbers say...if not this year, then next. If he makes some good lifestyle choices and changes now, and maintains them, he may reduce his risks - Ohhhh if only we could all adhere to that sound advice! I know I couldn't hence the need for some surgical help! x

UPDATE
The diabetic nurse from the GP's phoned yesterday to say that hubby's blood results show that his glucose level is raised again.:sigh:
He has got an appointment with her next Thursday.
I think I will go with him as he doesn't seem to understand that it isn't just him it affects.
The only thing that he is interested in is he will now get free prescriptions :rolleyes: Typical man :D

My partner is diabetic (type 1) and they do like having a partner there for the appointments. I was told I should attend every appointment. Be ready for headache's though - if he's still not really woken up to it, he's going to drive you mad :)

Good luck hun

Well he is lucky to have you to go with him. I'm sure they will just go through the lifestyle changes for him - so he has to start living the same lifestyle as you! Have a good look on diabetes uk, its a really useful website. Research shows if you get good control at the beginning you are far more likely to have good control always, however those with poor control initially tend to always have poor control and all the complications that come with the disease - so nag nag nag nag in the beginning and it should not be a huge impact for the rest of life. xxx

Well, at least he can see a benefit! :D If he's anything like my other half, he'll never go anyway! ;)
And his glucose can't be horrendously high, or they wouldn't leave it for a week.

It won't be what you wanted to hear, but it sounds like they have caught it early on. That's much better for him.

Good luck - it takes a while to get your head round it all at first.

Em x

Well, at least he can see a benefit! :D If he's anything like my other half, he'll never go anyway! ;)
And his glucose can't be horrendously high, or they wouldn't leave it for a week.

It won't be what you wanted to hear, but it sounds like they have caught it early on. That's much better for him.

Good luck - it takes a while to get your head round it all at first.

Em x

Thats what I thought
Thank god for the over 40 health check or it wouldn't have been discovered till much later when it would have been worse

Well he is lucky to have you to go with him. I'm sure they will just go through the lifestyle changes for him - so he has to start living the same lifestyle as you! Have a good look on diabetes uk, its a really useful website. Research shows if you get good control at the beginning you are far more likely to have good control always, however those with poor control initially tend to always have poor control and all the complications that come with the disease - so nag nag nag nag in the beginning and it should not be a huge impact for the rest of life. xxx

He has said that I don't need any encouragement :D

Back