• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 39.9 is it too low??

Hi all I'm new to here and have just been to my GP (in H/pool) and he measured my BMI as 39.9 and said he would refer me to North Tees GH for Baratric consideration but I am worried they won't accept me because I'm not 40:sigh: What would happen if I lost any weight before the seminar if they did accept me at 39.9? Thanks in advance!

No offence but 39.9 is as good as 40! I don't think you have anything to worry about and if you can lose weight now then it will get you on a good path for the huge changes ahead - they'll look at a commitment to weightloss as a positive step in the right direction and will refer to your weight and health issues at referral when making any decisions.

Good luck with everything.
Stacey

Thank you! I know its just a point and was just scared I would be waiting for this to happen to be told 'no get a bit fatter and we will see you then!!!'

in the beginning I felt like I'd been waiting forever, I asked my GP if I should put on weight to speed it all up, how insane is that?! I want to be fit and healthy so I'll pile on more...insane! In the end my BMI got to 48 before I had surgery and now I'm 39.6 after 3 month's, long may the decline continue!

Hi Westie I'm from Hartlepool too! It's my understanding that as from April if your BMI is under 50 you have to do some kind of weight management programme first. I know I've had a bit of a struggle with my referral. However as I was at North Tees last week for an endoscopy by the surgeon who carries out WLS he told me that Bmi's of over 50 could be referred straight to the hospital! I would certainly get back on to your GP and see how the 'new rules' effect you x

Oh no:( My GP said he is going to ring me if there is a problem and I am booked in for bloods on thursday morning at GP's. I will wait for the phone call:( What happened with your referral?

I got referred to North Tees in May, hadn't heard anything so I asked GP if they knew what was happening, they chased things up and said North Tees not accepting referrals at the moment. So I got referred to Sunderland, got my date through for first seminar the 20th August. Last week I was explaining this to the surgeon and my interpretation is there has been some teething errors with the new changes coming into place. However I've now transferred to North Tees and been accepted straight away as my BMI is over 50 and my seminar is next week! X

It's so frustrating as I have a bmi of 42 ish and my GP won't consider referring me as I have no other health problems. Seems like it's better up north. I've done a 12 week healthy heart, healthy weight course and self-referral therapy but they still say no ugh! Might go and try one more time before I commit to private. Fay it's a minefield.

It's so frustrating as I have a bmi of 42 ish and my GP won't consider referring me as I have no other health problems. Seems like it's better up north. I've done a 12 week healthy heart, healthy weight course and self-referral therapy but they still say no ugh! Might go and try one more time before I commit to private. Fay it's a minefield.
Whoops not Day -
wearie
Wearied
Soz

Hi all I'm new to here and have just been to my GP (in H/pool) and he measured my BMI as 39.9 and said he would refer me to North Tees GH for Baratric consideration but I am worried they won't accept me because I'm not 40:sigh: What would happen if I lost any weight before the seminar if they did accept me at 39.9? Thanks in advance!

Hi! Welcome!! I'd say it was good enough for surgery but it completely depends on the surgeon. When I was at that my GP wouldn't referring me (I'm also only 24) but privately the surgeons had no problem with it.

Good luck with your journey!! Fingers crossed for you!

Hi all apparently I have to eat a bit more then get weighed to be the 40 be I and I will be referred to a programme and once this is done go to the hospital I don't know what the program consists of!!! Thanks everyone!

Hi all had my appointment finally on Wednesday and was accepted on the new program. I have to attend the 8 week shape up program, lose 6kg in 6 mths and keep off for 6 mth then will be having surgery in feb 16!!! I saw the surgeon and physiologist and the course leader rang me today for my follow up appointments. has anybody else been on this program? thanks in advance!!!

Back