• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI and Gastric Bypass

willitracey

Hi, can anyone tell me what the criteria are for qualifying for a gastric bypass on the NHS? I am currently 17stones 18lbs and 5' 10". I think my BMI is about 36. I am looking at having this done privately but at a cost of £10,000 would like to try the NHS if at all possible. I have no medical conditions which are weight related - what do you think are my chances?

slim to none unfortunately.

Every PCT is different, so you'd need to check with your GP what your local criteria are. Here it is BMI 40 or BMI 35 with a co-morbidity, and from what I can gather that is one of the lowest requirements out there!

speak to your gp first! the worst he can do is say no.

I'm not sure what the private minimum BMI is? Some of the others may be able to help on that one.

I went for a private appointment this am - my BMI is 41. They said that they adhere to NICE guidelines still, which means a BMI of 35+ with associated medical conditions or 40 without. This again may not be what you wanted to hear - sorry!

Do you have any medical conditions? I got in on co-morbidities but mine aren't weight related. My bariatric co-ordinator just researched the benefits weight loss would have on my medical problems, but then I have a fair few and they are lifelong problems.

what about medical help from gp? or a gastric balloon? there are loads of options :)

Shell is right, you need to talk to your gp first - not an easy step but one that needs to be taken. I have gone private, but my surgeon still wanted a referral letter from my GP so you may as well try and get it out in the open as they say...good luck x

Thanks for your replies ladies, I have been given Xenical by my doctor but it doesn't make any difference whether I eat low fat or high fat, I was hoping I would suffer the consequences with high fat and Xenical, but it doesn't have any effecton me at all:(

what about reductil? or there is another one I can't think of! I couldn't have any of them cos of other problems though.

I think you could take this as an opportunity to embrace yourself and appreciate that you're not obese enough for the surgery as being a good thing, you wouldn't want to be a blimp like me!

You'll find something that works, just keep trying.

My Gp referred me happily and I have never tried any of the tablets that are supposed to help weight loss if that helps x

psssshhh my pct is well harsh. although they follow the NICE guidelines for BMI. 18 months ago I first asked about WLS. 18 months!!!!!

Private clinics still adhere to the nice guidelines. I`m round about in the same region of bmi as you (i`m slightly more :( ) but i didn`t realise that the range of co-morbidities ranges to more than diabetes & high BP

they also take account of family history of obesity, snoring, sleep aponea, fertility issues such as PCOS, breathlessness and the emotional impact it can be having on you & your family.

Dont know if any of this is useful but thought it was worth a mention

Good luck

Thank you you have been so helpful, may be worth a visit to GP after all, there is a lot of diabetes in my family (dad, both grandparents and my brother was diagnoses with type 2 at 30:() My dear dad also died of a heart attack at 55. So family medical history isn't good, perhaps they would take this into account

try and think of anything that could be considered. what about emotional distress? If you have any medical conditions at all chances are they will be improved by weight loss so all worth mentioning.

Good luck!

Just be truthful and honest.............. tell them how it makes you feel, how you have tried everything..... you can only be honest!!!!!!!

Thinking of you

yup honesty is best. if you get depressed or have moodswings tell him, if its affecting your relationship then tell him. I know its hard to open up and be completely honest about emotional things but they need to know how it really affects you.

Back