• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI and Gastric Bypass

Any ideas on what I can say to make the doctor take me seriously? Any replies gratefully received!!:sigh:

Hi I am new to this site, my GP referred me for gastric banding last week. I have BMI 35 with high blood pressure and cholestrol. I have tried reductil and Orlistat and there was no weight loss. I have searched and searched the internet for information and have already typed up an appeal in case the PCT say no. I have spoken to my GP's secretary who said if they say no the doctor can write again. Give it a go never take no for an answer when its something that you want and that can extend your life. I have written in my appeal exactly how my life is and what I have done slimming classes etc to lose weight. Let me know how you get on. Oh and if one GP says no ask a different one in the surgery. Its your life and you pay for the NHS in one way or another.

Hi everyone, I am also new to this site and Ive got my bypass booked for 22nd August in Manchester. Ive done all the usual diets, pills etc but reached a point where I thought Ive tried enough on my own, the weight just keeps creeping up, I dont seem to be able to eat as much food and my health is suffering. I know my GP wouldnt do anything, so Ive booked privately and Im sorting out my finances today.

Hi Tracey,

I'm having a lap band done privately in London. And there were only 3 steps in my case ( of course it dependends on each person)

1) Went to Harley Street for an appointment. Took 1 day to arrange.

2) 1 week later had a meeting with a Bariatric nurse who did Obs ie weight, bmi, blood pressure etc and i had a Form to fill out before like a Phsycological Test and she asked me questions. I asked for a date of the 7th July ( u can choose and if its free its yours)
3) Had the opereration confirmed in post 2 days later and paid £7000 by Debit Card....This gives me 2 years Support and Unlimited fills and My Surgeon is Professor Nadey Hakim. My Hospital is The Highgate.

Done :)

Just gives u an idea on how some private works. I had nothing to do with my own GP, no referrals , no waiting. Took 1 week to arrange. I am telling u this as advice not to be boastful or bragging because i understand how long some people here have to wait and i respect that totally and they are my friends but if u are able to afford it privately this is what u can expect.

Livvy xx

Hi Babynurse, welcome to this part of Mini's! Join in and you'll soon get to know us and feel at home :D

Shel

Hello to all the new comers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My experience was totally differt than others, i went to gp got refered to hospital went back to a different gp who referred me for the bypass had an appointment 6 months ater then went in for bypass 2 months after that 6 weeks ago...

everyone is different see what your gp says...

good luck

Hi Charlie girl welcome to minimins :) Have a look [URL="http://www.bospa.org/information.aspx?page=46"]Here[/URL]
for the PCT criteria for your area.

Sounds like your funding app should be ok though, do you know when you'll hear?

Shel

Hi Shel I have no idea when I will hear and the wait is killing me lol.....If the letter was posted when they said the PCT should have it now, it depends how they work once they have that. I will not stop nagging until they hear me out and have already prepared an appeal. There is no stopping me when I get a bee in my bonnet.....Linda

Its best to be prepared Linda! I think for me it took less than a month to hear, but it depends how often your panel meets etc. Anyway, it's out of your hands now, just a case of waiting! It's worth the wait though.

My dad used to have a boat called Charlie girl :)

BMI and NHS op

Hi I think it depends on what area you live in. My bypass was done on the NHS 4 weeks ago and the criteria was a BMI over 40 plus medical issues relating to weight. I have diabetes and high blood pressure so qualified on all counts!!! Ask your GP to refer you. I even put on a little so i could qualify as my BMI was under 40. was either put on a couple of pounds or pay a fortune! good luck x

Hey Tracey - good luck today!

Thanks Shel, will be glad when it is over, must get on with writing my list:( from what I have heard of this doctor he is quiet and not very talkative, my old doctor was lovely you could speak to him about anything, but I can only try, if this fails think I will have to go down the private route :eek: think I have half convinced my husband have told him this is like an illness which can ultimately kill me :cry: and if it was any other illness we would raise the money to save me:sigh: but in the back on my mind I am thinking it is a shed load of money but I know ultimately it will make me happy with no more yo yo dieting. We went out for my son's 17th birthday last night and I had so many change of clothes before we went and didn't like anything but it wasn't the clothes it was me :mad: I went out feeling and looking so frumpy, I DON'T want to look like this, boy am I on a downer today. Take care everyone.

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Good luck for today!!!!!!!!!! will be thinking of you............ think positively and be truthful with them,

I know the feeling on being frumpy! it will change for you......... fingers crossed for youxxxxx

I understand completely what its like going out and never feeling pretty in your clothes, its one of my issues big time, especially when all of hubby's mate's wives/girlfriends are slim blonde and gorgeous!

Try to focus on the fact that you are doing something about it, you're being proactive which is fantastic! So many people never get to that mental stage you're at now where you're ready to acknowledge your problem and seek a solution. Be proud of yourself for that :happy096:

Try to stay strong, go in there and say this is the problem, this is what I've done so far, this is the solution, and this is what I want you to do.

Its best to be prepared Linda! I think for me it took less than a month to hear, but it depends how often your panel meets etc. Anyway, it's out of your hands now, just a case of waiting! It's worth the wait though.

My dad used to have a boat called Charlie girl :)

Did you have yours on the NHS? I dont think my PCT sit until 31 July, I cannot explain the stress I feel waiting its the most horrible feeling in the world because my head goes from thinking I am not fat enough to thinking I am too fat to live properly. I know if it is approved it will be worth it and the time between approval and the op will be quick so this really must be the longest part. I am at the doctors tomorrow to see the nurse and I am going to ask her to read the referral letter to me which may settle a few nerves if it covers what I would want to say myself. Fingers crossed I get so jealous reading about everyone that has had it and I have a works do on saturday and I have nothing that fits or does not make me look frumpy. I am right between clothes sizes mind you I am stress eating now with worry so if I dont qualify now I will do soon lol....

Mines NHS, I'm having the op on the 16th July. I've fought for 18months to get it so believe me, i can understand how you're feeling.

31st July isn't that long now, the time will fly be, and the wait is truly worth it!

Hi Tracey,
I went down the private route, spent a year trying to get my gp to refer me but no luck there, I had bmi over 40 with bad health issues and was told i was not morbidly obese enough, point of interest for people in Barnsley area the trust only funds op for people with a BMI of 50 or over. Phoned up the surgery group I decided on and had appoinment within two days to see them, got appointment with mr acroyd my surgeon for the following week and then had op two weeks after, no referal from gp was needed. I can understand your frustration and I have my fingers and toes crossed that you will get the news that you want from your gp,
caroline

Mines NHS, I'm having the op on the 16th July. I've fought for 18months to get it so believe me, i can understand how you're feeling.

31st July isn't that long now, the time will fly be, and the wait is truly worth it!

Thanks and good luck for your op....keep me posted....

Tracey how did it go? Any news for us?

Well chaps, am back from the doctors :mad: he was having none of it:mad: just sent me away with another month's supply of Xenical, I have already told him it isn't working but he says it takes time to start working how long? I am wondering. He said he can't refer me as he needs to show that we have been trying to reduce my weight for 6 months without success, I said I have always had a weight problem but he said as I only went to them a month ago, that is when they consider it started :sigh: He said I could go private but would cost a lot of money, I said if it was making me unhappy every minute of every day then it would be worth it, he didn't argue with that!!! But basically I got nowhere :(

Back