• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bmi and the bypass/band

pmkmrm

is there a cut off point for which operation you have according to your bmi?
what i am trying to ask is:
if your bmi is say 47 or higher are you more suited for a bypass rather than a band.
hope this makes sense
love kate x;)

It's not really decided on the BMI entirely. My BMI was really high but still went for the band.

The deciding factors are down to eating habits, what your surgeon thinks is best for you and above all else, which surgery you wish to have.

The best way to come to this decision is too keep asking questions, get advice from your surgeon or provider.

Its a great question Kate, and as Caz said, the best thing to do is keep asking questions so you can arrive at the right decision for you.

The way it was explained to me at hospital was that patients *on average* lose 70 - 80% of their excess weight with a bypass, and around 50% with a band. Now of course, the harder you work with it, the more likely you are to lose more than the average , but for me, I felt that there was a chance I could have a band and still be classed as obese when I had finished losing weight. I didnt want to take that chance.

i dont know if there is set ruoles on it my bmiwas nearly 60 and i was recommended bypass but chose band and it working welli thinkit more to do with your eating habbits

Its a great question Kate, and as Caz said, the best thing to do is keep asking questions so you can arrive at the right decision for you.

The way it was explained to me at hospital was that patients *on average* lose 70 - 80% of their excess weight with a bypass, and around 50% with a band. Now of course, the harder you work with it, the more likely you are to lose more than the average , but for me, I felt that there was a chance I could have a band and still be classed as obese when I had finished losing weight. I didnt want to take that chance.

i was told the same as sam but was told that the band wasnt even an option as it would not get me into a health BMI bracket even if i lost 70% of my excess weight.
I think the main thing is to be honest about yr eating habits. on the whole i didnt have a sweet tooth but at TOM i would crave chocolate. My main downfall was takeaways due to my work commitments so again high fat at times.
Keep a honest food diary including fat and sugar conten in grams and see how it looks after a couple of weeks.
Good luck on whatever you decide
hc

My BMI was under 37 and I choose the bypass...its more to do with how you eat etc and of course your personal choice...xx

Back