• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Buying a laptop....

Im an amd fanboy, the semphron is fine :p

As far as macs go? Yeah.. okay. Um never buy one thats at LEAST 2nd generation (macs are awful in 1st generation they tend to break, alot). And right now the pro's are still in 1st generation.

They also cost a fortune but other than that they are okay.

Pierce

Hi,

This is a difficult one, it depends on three things really
1 What do you want it for
2 Is it for you or the kids
3 Do you want it for portability or space reasons.

I ask because if it is for the kids, then Macs aren't good news, in DT they all use PC's and adding a mac into the mix can be difficult. For some kids (they are usually better than us adults) it's not a worry, but the operating systems do differ.
If you just want it for office and internet then cheap and cheerful is usually OK. If you want it for gaming, then graphics and sound are an issue.
If you want it for graphics, photoshop and arty uses it has to be the mac.
Space issues, I know this will sound radical, but I have a compaq pressario, I bought it new 4-5 years ago and it is getting to the end of it's life now, won't play daughters SIMS game. But I am fortunate to have an electronics expert and computer geek hubby who keeps it going. (dont ask me how it's a black art).
It all depends on what you want really.
I have a super PC in the dining room with TV freeview box, wide screen etc, a Dell for work, my compaq (best investment ever) for internet, office etc., and my MAC for arty stuff.
Answer is give us an idea of the full capabilities you want from it and we might be able to come up with something that fits the bill.

Hope that helps

Jackie

Basically looking for something for me to surf the net, be on the forums and email - all my paperwork will remain on the desktop PC. Definitely considering this advent 7105 as seems to have all the bits I want...and it's pink ;)

Bought it!!

eseries.jpg
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif, Arial]FUJITSU E-SERIES REFURB[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif, Arial]*** Deal of the Week!!! ***
P4 Mobile 1.6 Processor, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb Hard Disk Drive, CD-ROM, 14.1" TFT 1024x768 Colour Screen, 56K Modem, 10/100 LAN, Serial Port, Parallel Port,2 USB Port 2.0, Infra-Red for Communication with Mobile Phones, Firewire 1394 ,Windows 2000 pro Operating System,
MICROSOFT WORKS 8.0 AND 802.11g WIRELESS CARD!!!
FREE CARRY CASE WORTH £29.95!!!
Fully Installed & Internet Ready. Just switch on and use!!!
FREE NEXT DAY DELIVERY
3-month RTB Warranty
This price includes VAT and Secured Delivery.
[/FONT]

Thanks. Well chuffed, and the timing is excellent with half term next week so the girls can get accustomed to my computer and I can get all my stuff onto the laptop! :cool:

I would like to get a lap top. Can anyone explain about wireless internet connection? I'd like to be able to carry my laptop around the house? I have BT broadband for my proper computer.
Irene xx

The large cable that comes out of your bt modem can be plugged into a wireless router, which would then allow you to connect your pc by cable, and your laptop by wireless.

I have this setup at home.

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G - Wireless router + 4-port switch (WRT54G-UK-SES)

That is my wireless router. It will need to be setup so being comfortable with reading a manual, or having a good techie friend is definatly good to have.

The other thing is, if your laptop doesnt have wireless built into it, you will need to get a wireless card for it. You can pop into the computer store and sometimes they come in pairs, router and wireless card. Ill take some pics for you when I get home if you would like?

Pierce

Waiting for mine to arrive - due sometime today :cool:

I'm typing this on my laptop!! :cool:

Lol it's here!!! Just downloading firefox and when the man gets back he's gonna install Windows XP for me!! :cool: So chuffed!

I hope you all know what this means??? DQ online 24/7....what am I talking about she's already online 24/7! :eek: :D

Yes please Pierce
Irene xx

Hi Irene,

I hope this picture explaines it,

I have 2 computers, and I dont use the wireless on my laptop (i dont have a picture of a wirless card for a laptop, as mine is built in) when im in my house, mainly because I love my office. Though sometimes i forget to plug in the laptop to the cable and the wireless works away instead with me being totaly oblivious!

Pierce

Attachments

• wireless.jpg
    wireless.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 21
I hope you all know what this means??? DQ online 24/7....what am I talking about she's already online 24/7! :eek: :D

You cheeky mare!!! :mad: :p

Hi Queenie.....v.jealous of your new lap top....I WANT ONE TOO!!!....lol

noticed you said that your girlie had discovered Habbo....that made me smile as I have some young clients who get so much from it. It's part of TALK TO FRANK, as you probably know and I've had a wizz round it myself a while ago....xxx

I can't make head nor tail of it!! :confused:

Back