• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass cancelled at pre op - urgent!

Caz, I had problems with stomach stretching the band was self tightening and we couldnt get the restriction right, I was constantly being filled and unfilled and it got to the point that it was causing lots of stress on my stomach, and my reflux was getting worse, causing me to lose my voice and have a terrible cough. This all led to the decision to empty my band and ultimately remove it.

I have to say for all those who are getting a band my sugeon still considers me a success as I lost 6 stone with it, its just I have more than that left to go and they will no longer fill it (although they ahve done today as a temporary fix), so we talked about a revision and here we are.

Thanks slim girl(can't call you fat girl lol), By the way you look fab in your pics...

india chin up, and go in with all guns blazing, you know you have earned the bypass otherwise they would not have agreed to it in the first place, to take it away now without a GOOD reason is just not acceptable, could it be they are back peddling for time as they have overbooked theatre time?

It's going ahead!!

Hopefully, the sugeon has filled my band with 3 mils and told me I have to lose 1stone in 2 weeks, if not then he will cancel...

I'm sure I can do it, but am away on holiday from monday for a few days so will have to be very very careful.

thanks for all the support and i'm definitely going to need it for the next couple of weeks at least.xx
Phew!. What a relief. Best wishes with the pre-op diet.

as plus said, what a relief... Good luck now with meeting their weight loss requirements. xx

Hi Indy,

Fingers crossed for loosing a stone in two weeks...quite a challenge but I guess you are fired up to acheive this as it has a hefty price if you don't...

Good luck and I an sure you will do amazing :)

I was told at my initial consultation that if I gained 7Lbs or more then I would be taken off the waiting list. He said there were more than enough people waiting for this operation and that I needed to show that I was committed to wanting this operation.

I tended to agree with him as he explained how some of his previous patients simply went out and gorged themselves all the way up to the operation (not that I am suggesting that you did this in any way!).

If you are doing this you are not tackling the issues behind your eating and you are more likely to really struggle with this post-op. Both the Bypass and the Band are life changing choices, and by asking patients not to gain weight is simply preparing them for this change to ease the transition.

I know what will happen if I gain weight and I am willing to take those consequences!

If you were aware of this happening then you made your bed and you should lie in it. I am doing my very best to maintain and struggling all the way. But I would rather struggle than gain the weight and be refused the surgery I have fought for!

I’m sorry if this is not the encouragement you were looking for but you have to be realistic. There are people out there (and on this site) who would give their left arm for the chance to be given this operation! If you cannot maintain your weight (with the incentive of having this operation at the end of it) then maybe you do not deserve the operation in the first place.

If on the other hand you were not aware or warned of this consequence then you should appeal. It is not fair to enforce rules that you were not made aware of.

pandora what a totally negitive post, from what you have typed it doesnt look like you have read the posts in this thread correctly. indian lights circumstances are not the same as usual, and if you had bothered to read her posts properly you can see that, people come to minis for support not comments like that.

hi deb, im glad its going ahead, it will be hard the pre op and the loss required but im sure you can achieve this, i will chat with you soon.

liz xxx

Oh my God! Go for it though and show them you can do it. It's a hard task but just think there's nothing to eat on holiday you wouldn't have tried before. Besides nothing will be as good as being a loser again (A bit naive I know!!!)

Go for it and good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Enjoy your break away.

Take care

x

My letter from the pct at first consultation said I had to either lose weight or maintain or they wont do the op, but each PCT is different:(

Yes I acknowledge (both now and in my previous post) that I am being quite harsh, but I am only being realistic. I'm sorry if you thought I was being negative.

As she stated she was not told about a limit being put on weight gain, and I completly back her decision to appeal. And I am glad she now has a chance loose the weight and have her second operation.

My post was simply stating that there are too many people out there who are desperate for WLS. I feel that those people who put on a tremendous amount of weight between their first consult and their op can be percieved to be abusing the decision to give them funding.

I am not saying that Indianlight is one of those people! In fact if you read my post again I do reitterate that I believe that she was not one of those people!

People come to Minimins for support, yes; but sometimes the best support comes from those people who are being honest and realistic.

Hi there, You can do this because you know you have to,without negative comments from others. I wish you all the best with this stone you have to lose. Its obvious that you're commited to losing the weight other wise you would'nt have been able to lose 6 stone already with the band.Through the band no longer in action you gained which of course we all would have. You had no restriction due to the band affecting your health and having to have it emptied.The surgeon should realise this as well because thats why you're back there is it not??? Take care and We are all behind you with support should you need us. xx Gaynor xx

Thank you Gaynor, you have summed up nicely exactly what has happened. I was assured due to my previous weightloss that i didn't need to prove myself, which is obviously why the surgeon has changed his decision. Believe me and Liz will back me on this, if our surgeon thought that I wasn't commited or able to do this there would be no second chances.

Pandora, I understand what your saying and in some ways agree. However, on this site and any others you need to choose your moment to criticise. Luckily I have just read it, when I'm feeling a bit more stable if i had read it before I was allowed a second chance then it would have really upset me and i was already upset enough.

Believe me and Liz will back me on this, if our surgeon thought that I wasn't commited or able to do this there would be no second chances.

yes me and indian light have the same surgeon and he strict, he knows the commitments there as you have lost weight before, hes strict and sets out harsh guidlines, but deb i believe you can do this, and im always about if you need support.

liz xxx

Playing devil's avocado here, but sometimes I do think a bit of plain speaking is a good thing. OK, it could have been taken the wrong way, but then, it is always best to sit on a response until any heat has dissipated or to ensure the grievance is genuine. That helps keep conversations sane.

mmmm avocado.

india light you have done it once and im positive you can do it again. what a time you must have had because of the complications you have had. you have done fantastic to date in spite of the stone weight gain and without restriction its understandable how that has happened. At the end of the day you wouldnt of had yr first surgery if it was that easy let alone going for the revision.
I wish you the best of luck over the next 2 weeks and wish you continued sucess.
carole

Back