• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why don't I feel full?

AA1234

Hi, I am 4 days post op. Still on liquids for just over 2 weeks. The thing is I have heard people say that they can only have a few sips etc and then they feel full.

Although I am only having a small amount and taking it very slowly (1 sip every 30 secs or 1 min) I have yet to feel 'full'. I do however feel pressure after about a min or so which I think is the drink passing through the band.

Is it because I am only on liquids that I have yet to feel that full sensation? In general I am not hungry so am having to remember and force myself to have something. I am managing 1 shake, 1 soup and 3 tablespoons of yoghourt. My main problem is to remember to drink in between. I realised yesterday I only had one cup of tea all day. So I drank as much water as poss before i went to bed.

Anyway, I know it is only early days but I suppose I was expecting to feel 'full' after a few sips of liquid.

I have the same problem, I'm 3 days post op, but my understanding is that liquids will just slip right through. I too don't feel full, and am managing, 3 rusks mashed with milk, yoghurt, slim fast shake, yogurt, bowl of soup and rusks - was told to "eat" 6 times a day and aim for 1000 - 1500 cals per day. I'm drinking plenty of fluids also.

just remember fluids will slip through the band, solids won't which is why when we are on solids we shouldn't drink at the same time as that will wash the solids through.

Same here too guys, I thought it was just me! I am a bit further down the line but I can manage mugs of soup, whole slimfasts etc. Like Corey I am drinking often to keep the fluids up. I feel satisfied after a nice mug of soup but not full and sometimes I have actually felt hungry (tummy rumbling!).

Maz x

fullness cannot be felt from liquids only, when you go to slop mash and gravy is thicker and should stay in the top pouch longer, the full feeling after banding is never the same as the full feeling we used to know, as the swelling goes away more hunger is felt and the desire to eat comes back.

fullness cannot be felt from liquids only, when you go to slop mash and gravy is thicker and should stay in the top pouch longer, the full feeling after banding is never the same as the full feeling we used to know, as the swelling goes away more hunger is felt and the desire to eat comes back.

Its certainly come back for me Liz, cant wait to move onto sloppies!

rusks are full of sugar, even the reduced sugar ones are 20% sugar content. They've been all over the news today as being bad for kids, they contain more sugar than a chocolate digestive.

rusks are full of sugar, even the reduced sugar ones are 20% sugar content. They've been all over the news today as being bad for kids, they contain more sugar than a chocolate digestive.

:eek: i didnt know that :eek:

no wonder i was a fat baby lol ;)

Last edited:
I'm assuming Corey has been told to have them though.

Slim Fast has lots in to but us banders are told to have it.

Its certainly come back for me Liz, cant wait to move onto sloppies!

:D that 1st bowl of mash and gravy is heaven, something so simple tasting so nice, just remember when the time comes for you to eat it slowly x

TIP "savour the flavour, theres no need for speed !"

liz x

:D that 1st bowl of mash and gravy is heaven, something so simple tasting so nice, just remember when the time comes for you to eat it slowly x

TIP "savour the flavour, theres no need for speed !"

liz x

Mmm cant wait! I will try and go slow but I hate cold savoury food :( got lots of stuff in ready for the transition. Going to ring the dietician tomorrow as our instructions say liqiuds for 0-3 weeks but our hunger may dictate when we move to the next stage!

I'm assuming Corey has been told to have them though.

Slim Fast has lots in to but us banders are told to have it.

I talked through the Rusks with my dietician, she said that providing they had plenty of milk to make them very wet, then they were not a problem. I guess there is so much other stuff in Rusks that makes them nutritionally viable? My dietician was more concerned with calorific intake, as one rusk is only 69 cals, it isn't going to do any harm

I am finding it hard to have alot, so yoghurt/soup/slimfast is just about all I can manage at the moment...
Isnt it so funny, that when you have that first sip of soup-its like a dream!!lol

Cant wait to go onto soft food though.
Do they call us to make the oppointment for our 2 week check up?

In the defence of Rusks....

I have just read the article about the amount of sugars and fats in baby food and noted one comment... "Heinz also makes Farley's Rusks which the spokesman said had "been enjoyed by generations of babies, and some adults too, for 120 years" with few changes to the original recipe."

How many obese people were around say 30 years ago? When there were no supermarkets, fewer cars, and a gym was something very few people visited. It's not the food alone that makes us obese, it's the sedentary life styles that make us obese - you can eat sugars and fats, but only if your lifestyle ensures enough exercise is being done to burn it all off?

You enjoy your rusks Corey, besides you will need the energy for all that shopping!

please dont hate me!! im the total opposite, sorry, i have had a lot of restriction since my op a week ago today but am really struggling to get the neccesary liquids down as i just always feel full and get that indigestion like feeling which i presume is my band?? im only managing about 4 teaspoons of soup 3 times a day and other drinks but its not doing any good yet as i have yet to loose any weight??

glad to hear everyone is doing well and recovering ok xx

please dont hate me!! im the total opposite, sorry, i have had a lot of restriction since my op a week ago today but am really struggling to get the neccesary liquids down as i just always feel full and get that indigestion like feeling which i presume is my band?? im only managing about 4 teaspoons of soup 3 times a day and other drinks but its not doing any good yet as i have yet to loose any weight??

glad to hear everyone is doing well and recovering ok xx

Dont hate you honey, I'm a bit worried about you though because I dont think you are getting enough fluids in you.

Have the hospital rung and checked up on you yet? If not promise me you will ring them tomorrow and explain how little you are managing x

Back