• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassees! I have some questions for you!

discojen

Hi,

I am around halfway through the process of waiting for bariatric surgery (it has been suggested that I have a bypass).

I just have LOADS of questions, so if anyone could answer a few, I'd be really grateful.

1. I think I am mourning the food before I have even had the procedure, is this normal?
2. So I can really never have sugar again? Ever? That just seems so impossible to me, that I will never have a cream tea when on holiday in Cornwall, not have a piece of my daughter's wedding cake, etc?
3. What would happen if I stretch the pouch somehow (inadvertenty)?
4. Do you honestly not miss food?
5. How does it differ to being on a permanent diet?
6. Has your life really changed for the better? (How?)
7. What happens at family occasions/going out for meals/BBQs? Do you ever feel like the "black sheep"?
8. What about long term? Does anything change (from having bypass 1 year - 10 years)?

I think I will stop there! :sigh:

Thank you in advance for any replies

Lol,

Hmm well I can tolerate sugar, some,bypassers can so will power is still needed in abundance, I do have the odd bit but tend to avoid (today for example I had a small fruit scone) I have more meals out than ever as I don't feel uncomfortable ordering food I.front of people I eat until I'm full and leave the rest, sometimes I ask the restaurant to put it in a Tupperware box for me sometimes I don't (this is easier to do since being slim felt awkward doing it whilst still v big) I eat for my health now, my tastes have changed and I think of nutritional value - eg pasta n pest is quick n tasty but gives my body v little nutrition so I wouldn't eat it, it doesn't differ to dieting in that sense, obvs portion is greatly reduced but u have to pick the healthy stuff!
Changes in me, I'm more outgoing, I feel more attractive and confident, I shop til I drop, I'm never conscious of my size, I'm organised when it comes to meal planning, I eat a bite or two of something I fancy but don't want more, i'm not in pain or huffing n puffing and in just eleven months I'm over 11 stone down....best thing I ever did....

Wow!

Thanks for replying and well done! That's fab.

It's the "not wanting more" that I think I can't get my head around. I wish!

Hi,

I am around halfway through the process of waiting for bariatric surgery (it has been suggested that I have a bypass).

I just have LOADS of questions, so if anyone could answer a few, I'd be really grateful.
Hi Jen :)
1. I think I am mourning the food before I have even had the procedure, is this normal?
It is a scary process and very normal. Of course its natural to feel sad and think 'oh I'll never be able to have this again'. Reality is you will be able to have most things in moderation.
2. So I can really never have sugar again? Ever? That just seems so impossible to me, that I will never have a cream tea when on holiday in Cornwall, not have a piece of my daughter's wedding cake, etc?
This will depend on you as an individual. Some people can't have any but they are rare. about a third are like me, where I can have a little, but will regret a lot. And some people don't dump at all and have no issue with sugar. Also this can happen with excess fat.
You'll be able to eat more and thus defeat your bypass. This is unlikely though unless you actively try and some stretching is necessary and natural. More likely, if you are going to fail, you will graze rather than stretching the pouch.
Nope because I still eat it!
I now don't count a thing. Every so often I panic and go on a diet, but reality sinks in. I eat healthily and aim to always make the best choice. The bypass limits the amount I eat and hence I lose weight.
Yes yes and yes! I was 30 stone, scared of losing my job through illness and worried about lack of mobility and in daily agony. I still have a little pain, but have more weight to lose, my boss is very pleased with me and I can strut my stuff in heels (even when on my feet for five hours as I am a teacher). Then there's being able to buy clothes, not costing so much and being able to feel normal.
7. What happens at family occasions/going out for meals/BBQs? Do you ever feel like the "black sheep"?
I told everyone. I now go out more and people know what I need and will just let me make my own arrangements. I feel more confident and like I fit in now than I ever have.
8. What about long term? Does anything change (from having bypass 1 year - 10 years)?
This I can't answer - but will be looking forward to the replies.

Hope this helped :)

Hi there, I'm 7 and half months out so thought I'd answer best I can from my experience so far.

Well I don't know about mourning but I definitely felt like my time to "enjoy" food was running out and over indulged at times more than normal. If you are going the NHS route you will most likely but on a rule not to gain weight so you might already be preparing yourself. The more you prepare yourself the better. You will morn food after the bypass but it doesn't last long and you tend to think...Oh I wish I could eat a big plate of pasta or eat a whole bar of chocolate but it usually passes. For me anyway. I find I can have small tastes of most things anyway so I don't feel deprived.

This depends, some people find they really can't have anything sweet. This is something you have to decide whether it's worth doing because some people find they can't even eat fruit but most people tolerate a little amount of sugar. A bite of cake, some grapes or a biscuit. Other people find they can manage quite a bit of sugar. Unfortunately you won't know until after the bypass. I can tolerate a fair amount but the idea of dumping scares me so much I'm careful. I could definitely have a couple bites of cake if I wanted too just maybe not a whole big slice.

3. What would happen if I stretch the pouch somehow (inadvertently)?

Hmm well I'm not sure about this one. Your pouch will stretch a bit as time goes on, the swelling goes down first and you can manage food and then I think it does a little. I can definitely manage more food than in the beginning but still so much less than I before. I don't know about long term but so far so good.

No I don't because I still eat. Healthier, and smaller portions but I do let myself have the occasional small treat.

In some ways it doesn't but also you are learning a new way of eating and living. Learning about moderation. It's takes time though. The other difference is because most people don't feel hunger like they did before so you don't get the same deprived feeling you get on a normal diet.

Yes. I can walk now actually even jog if I wanted too I couldn't before. I have a job. I have normal blood pressure. I get to take my dog out and wear nicer clothes and spend more time with friends. It's not a cure for everything though. I had depression before my surgery. I still have it now.

No. All my family and friends know about the surgery and try to support me. You can still eat out and go to bbq's etc. You just have to eat a smaller portion. I've had a few people say I don't like eating in front of you. I just reassure them it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Can't answer this one. I'm hoping it will still be a tool I can use in the future, even if it isn't as sharp as it is now.

Hope this helped a little. Good luck x

Thanks a lot shelley.

A lot of what you have said is very relevant to me so helps a great deal, Thank you x

good luck xxx you seem to have the right preparation in mind so hopefully you will do well, you will find in your usual life people will tell you horror stories about what you and can't eat but they've probably never had the op and just scaremongering . :) I didn't have bypass I had DS but we all have to be careful and all have to think about eating protein first before any other treats etc xxx most of our regrets are we waited too long to have it done :) wish we'd had it year's ago xx

I'm only 4 weeks out, so I'm just going to answer question 4. Not one little bit, in fact quiet the contrary. Sometimes I eat to get my protein in for the day. I'm not hungry, I don't crave food.

Hi I am 17 month post bypass and can agree with all of the above, it is just eating healthily all the time, I have put 3 lb on since Christmas but have lost 8 1/2 stone since op n 10 1/2 altogether since the very start of the journey. I eat some sugar stuff as i am stressed at the moment but no where near what I wopuld have once eat or drank. Its something you get used to go for it. Never looked back. Was out for my tea with work mates last night brought most of it home ion my bait box for today xx

Hi,

Hi Jen

I am at the same stage as you and the thoughts you are having are also whizzing about my head too.
I have already started a high protein low carb diet and eat off a side plate with proper portion control. I am 4 weeks in its hard but it has got easier but in saying that I know that temptation is just around the corner. I love food. I told the dietician that I am a bit of a food connoisseur :D. I cook, bake, love eating out and like trying new tastes. I am not a gorge myself type of person who can't walk past a cake or sweet shop but I do/did like my big full portions. Not good if you are a sedentary person due to disabilities and although I have always been"big" it was when I had to take early retirement due to those disabilities that the weight piled on ....9 st in 10 years. Luckily for me my daughter got married before I took this journey on so got my wedding cake ... But then again I did bake it :). Cream teas yum yum but will I ever taste one again:(? I have yet to face the usual monthly family get together where it's a curry feast, drink yourself under the the affair but I will not be breaking my diet :sigh::wave_cry:. I got through Christmas and new year ...just .. but I did forgo the diet on those days knowing that they were going to be my last hurrah. I was very restrained though because it was always in the back of my mind that I was cheating and once on that slippery slope it's hard to get back on firm ground. The biggest surprise for me was just how much I miss wine! :cry::cry: OMG OMG I am really in mourning over that!
Tomorrow I see Dr Stuart at RossHall so hopefully :fingerscrossed: he will be happy with my losses and give me a date for the balloon fitting that I require before I get the bypass :innocent0001:
Good luck on your journey Jen x

Yes Frankie, that's another thing - the baking/cooking.

I bake a hell of a lot, not just for my own consumption, for other people, church fairs, craft fairs. Everyone keeps on at me to enter The Great British Bake Off! My dream job is to own a cafe/cake shop and teach people with learning disabilities how to bake and have them work with me. (Part of my current job).

Will that desire disappear, as I probably won't be interested in baking???

Fortunately, I don't drink so won't miss wine :)

You know, what is coming across to me more and more is my absolute obsession with food.

I am not thinking, imagine going to Cornwall, I could go surfing (something I have always wanted to do), I could walk up Tintagel without feeling like my chest will explode, I could wear a bathing costume without the stares, etc.

Instead I am thinking about pasties, cream teas.

Well ***** to it. I am determined to live my life, not live through food.

I still love too cook and bake. Have a look at the world according to eggface's website. Just google it :)

My first visit to the dietician felt like I had been given a life sentence Jen. I am like you in that people say I make the most wonderful cakes and that I should set up business... I have no desire to btw as I enjoy baking and cake decorating for a hobby and wouldn't want it to be a chore but OMG I never even thought about the possibilty that I may not enjoy it any more once I get the op :eek:
In saying that I cooked and baked for the whole family on Christmas and New Year's Day and I didn't enjoy it any less but I did miss tasting my wares and had to take it for granted when they said all tasted good.... That was really hard. However I haven't had the op yet and as people have said we may both be lucky enough to be able to have little samples of the things we like every now and again.
At that first dieticians visit I told her about how I enjoy Christmas time, baking, cooking, entertaining and she said that's because I like the sociable side of food which in hindsight is probably true. I then told her that I was going home to make mince pies with my homemade mincemeat and does this op mean I will never be able to sample one again. I didn't get a definite reply but it came over as no you won't :sigh:... But when you hear of dumping etc i can understand her hesitance.
Forgot to add that I like you have no desire to stay this way and although the future is scarey it is also the most motivated I have been for a long time and my desire for the future is simple. I want to be able to run after my granddaughter :D

Just wanted to say I also love cooking and baking. I was making my mince pies the day before I went in for my op whilst on pre-op diet. 3 days out of hospital I was supervising the cooking oh Christmas dinner, and sat with my guest with my bowl of gravy having a great time, enjoying them enjoying the food. I have worked out I'm a feeder, and enjoy making food for others to enjoy. Even now 4 weeks out,my leftovers go in the OH or the dog!

I cook now more than ever.

I was obsessed with food and had many fears.

Now I enjoy my tasty tiny meals, more than eating from the point of an addiction before.

My taste buds are alive. Eating slowly means I get to really experience my food.

My bypass is the best thing I ever did x

I'm the same always cooking and baking even for my team at work for treats I don't care about having any just enjoy giving and the pleasure of creating :) I used to be asked to make children's birthday cakes wedding etc and still always make about 8 Christmas cakes for family and friends but would never charge anything for them :) I did have a mince pie at Christmas and a slice of Christmas cake on my birthday last week but have made sure everyone has eaten them now xxx

Back