• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassees! I have some questions for you!

Thanks so much to everyone for replying, you've all been really helpful.

I've been quite negative about the whole process for the last couple of weeks and now feel soooo much better.

At least once a month I bake cupcakes for work....we're talking toffee filled with fudge frosting cupcake goodness here (i too have been called a feeder on more than one occasion) sometimes I have a bite (literally 1/4 cupcake max with v little frosting) and its enough.....my desire to slim down (down from size 28 to a 10/12) is greater than my desire to chiw down on cake!

our bosses keep buying cupcakes for everyone :) I just say oh thanks very much and pass them on to the person sat to me after they've gone :) I wish they'd buy a piece of cheese or something but not sure the office would agree :) I can't eat fruit much so would rather just let them think they've done something nice than complain xx

I still love too cook and bake. Have a look at the world according to eggface's website. Just google it :)

Thanks Yve I had a quick browse ..fantastic and now in my favs:) x

Hi discojen!

Loving your questions! I am just over 2 years out from a gastric bypass, so can perhaps give a slightly long term view (although not that long term ;-) ).

1. I think I am mourning the food before I have even had the procedure, is this normal?

Yes I think that's normal. I felt the same way, because I was under the impression that I would never ever enjoy my favourite foods again. Ever. Which is not at all true. It is true that some people can't get on very well with certain foods post surgery (like bread, pasta, rice, meat..) But not everyone! I for one can eat anything and everything without any problems whatsoever. Just a smaller portion. But I am in no way feeling deprived or missing food. Food is an integral part of my life. I enjoy it even more now than prior to surgery, because it doesn't come with a side order of guilt!

2. So I can really never have sugar again? Ever? That just seems so impossible to me, that I will never have a cream tea when on holiday in Cornwall, not have a piece of my daughter's wedding cake, etc?

Some people dump really easily, some don't dump at all from sugary stuff. In my first year I stayed away from sugar mostly, and I dumped on it, as well as fatty food. This doesn't happen as much now anymore (but I also don't eat much sugar generally). To answer your question, you will probably be able to eat sugar again later on, in small quantities of course.

3. What would happen if I stretch the pouch somehow (inadvertenty)?

My surgeon told me there is no evidence that the pouch stretches. I have my doubts about that. Fact is that I can now eat a reasonably sized meal, whereas I could merely have spoonfuls of food the first few months after surgery. So yes the portion size will go up over time. The key is to learn to recognise when you've had enough, in the first 6 months or so after surgery. Once you've got the hang of that, you're flying.

4. Do you honestly not miss food?

No reason to miss it. I am food obsessed girl! Love it and always will love it. You can still eat and enjoy food post surgery, just less of it. And the first year or so is not representative of the rest of your life in terms of what and how much you will be able to eat. The first year is your golden ticket! Your opportunity to maximise the benefits of the surgery.

5. How does it differ to being on a permanent diet?

I don't ever feel that I am on a diet. I just make good choices, mostly, and eat less than I would have before.

6. Has your life really changed for the better? (How?)

Absolutely. I have lost nearly 9 stone (highest recorded was 27st 3lbs). Nothing is the same anymore, when you've lost that much weight. Nothing! I can walk and exercise, I fit into seats, my blood pressure is normal, I can buy clothes in normal shops, I wear heels and dresses, people look at me just like they look at anyone else (not because I'm so big) - life is simply amazing.

7. What happens at family occasions/going out for meals/BBQs? Do you ever feel like the "black sheep"?

Not at all. The first year or so, I often had soup or starters in restaurants. Now I often order a main and just eat as much as I like (but never the entire portion). Everyone knows (friends family) and is very supportive.

8. What about long term? Does anything change (from having bypass 1 year - 10 years)?

Yes.. as explained earlier. Food intake the first year is rather ... well minimal! LOL But that's what you want, that's when a lot of the weight comes off. Over time, and depending how you manage your diet, portion size will increase. It is important to keep remembering your protein (protein first before eating anything else). The first year is your window to create new habits, form a new relationship with food, shake the bad habits for good and create new, healthy ones. 2 years out, I don't think anyone would know from watching me eat that I had a gastric bypass. I just eat healthily most of the time, smallish portions.
I'm not sure what you mean with 'anything' in your question. My life has changed dramatically due to this surgery, in so many ways.

Happy to help if I can!

:553:

I cook now more than ever.

I was obsessed with food and had many fears.

Now I enjoy my tasty tiny meals, more than eating from the point of an addiction before.

My taste buds are alive. Eating slowly means I get to really experience my food.

My bypass is the best thing I ever did x

Loving this thread! I watched a recent episode of Fat Surgeons and one of the guys who was post-bypass said everything tasted much sweeter and stronger than ever before - I guess this is what you are saying about your taste buds are alive? x x

Definitely. Anything with sugar tastes very sweet, although sweetener doesn't seem to have the same effect. Also as you are eating mindfully and taking your time you will notice flavour and texture more. I have to stop sometimes and close my eyes because food can taste *that* good. Despite being obsessed before I never had that.

You have had some great and supportive replies and I hope they help. I would say you can't control how you will be in terms of sugar and dumping but you can control how you experience the bypass. Eating out just needs managing you will get the knack of it and get to know where is best for you and how to cope in a not so suitable place. I get food boxed up if I want to or simply smile bravely and say sorry couldn't finish that just been ill if anyone mentions me not finishing. No more necessary to say. The bypass gave me my life back the plastic surgeon finished the job. 4 years down the line I try to never forget the hell life was at well over 30 stones and concentrate on making sure I don't go back there again whilst living life to the full. You will too provided you jump in and embrace it and all it requires to make it work. The best of good luck to you at the start of your journey.

M

i am in the same place as u waiting, got to say, i am glad im not goin to food obsessd. i spent my life thinkin about food and filling my life with food, well i dont think thats any way to live life so i stick two fingers up at it n tell it to sod off, i want to live my life and have a decent life. i want to be able to do stuff and party and feel like a sexi biatch in my clothes again. lol. food does not = happiness

Honestly, I can't begin to thank you all enough for all your replies here.

My way of coping (with anything) is to think and think and analyse and analyse and I think I just got to the point recently where I'd done too much thinking and was starting to scare myself.

You're all Angels :) XOXOXOX

as I say to customers it's in my name xxx Angela :) honestly though don't keep things bottled up its not good for you and were all in the same position so no judging etc just good honest advise and support xx

Honestly, I can't begin to thank you all enough for all your replies here.

My way of coping (with anything) is to think and think and analyse and analyse and I think I just got to the point recently where I'd done too much thinking and was starting to scare myself.

You're all Angels :) XOXOXOX

I also over analyse - about everything! It's draining, isn't it?! x x

I spent many nights researching..reading...reading and more reading and gave myself headache!
I'm 2 and 1/2 years post op from my bypass.
And I'm still learning at times x

I'm exactly the same ..I scour everywhere for information to the point that it can be quite obsessive but I prefer to be well informed than ignorant :eek: x

So true Angie I found myself questioning my need for a balloon last week with my dietician because I was so disheartened and worried by reading all the bad experiences of people who have had the balloon.. I literally scared myself out of it! I had completely overlooked people's successes. Anyhoo I spent a week deliberating with myself and came to realise that we are all different and that yes I may well be ill with it but I had to give it a go or I would probably regret not facing up to my fears & as it's human nature to post /ask questions openly when there is a problem of course you are going to see more bad experiences than good. So roll on the 7th Feb when I get my balloon. Funny thing is the bypass does not phase me at all which I can't fathom out as by its very nature is a more drastic procedure.

Back