• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers - should I be having these?

tpt

Uber geek
I don't think I am going to ever dump from sugar - slimfast last week - no probs. Skinny cow ice lolly 2 nights ago - no probs (but too much so have to leave half), now I just tried a milk lolly/ ice cream - again no probs and I have rowntree ice lollies stick things in the freezer.

It's not my belly that wants them - my damn mouth tastes like sh*t and gets very dry and even though I drink plenty, my gob needs sating.

Now - are these on the no no list or are they ok? both the lollies are childrens ones with no added sugar.... and I am having my soup & vits properly.

I have fruit pastille ones, mini milks, and skinny cow ones no prob and I'm quite a sensitive dumper!

Lol you must be dump proof if you haven't dumped off slimfast:eek::eek:It is full of sugar!!;)
I used to love them rowntree lollies :p

I haven't dumped of slimfast, I havent actually dumped or been sick or anything, I've even managed scrambled egg two weeks post of do you think i've be a victim of fraud and haven't actually had a bypass? lol

Clare x

Slimfast is not full of sugar as we know it its klactose sugars which are different and don't make people dump. Anything which is milk based will appear to be high in sugar. I am extremely sensitive to sugar but have no problems with slimfast. But do with anything that has more than 5/6g of sugar per 100g.

phew! thought i'd been scammed then lol

The third ingredient listed on the label of the ready to drink and powdered Slimfast after milk & water is sugar, that means refined sugar is one of the top three ingredients to be found in the product. Yes many of the 'sugars' listed in the detail breakdown may be milk sugars but the fact is that a main ingredient is refined sugar. That is why I was told not to use them post-op. The level in them is not high enough to make many of us dump so it probably is okay if you really like them. I am not a sensitive dumper and have had small amounts of refined sugar without a problem which if I am honest is nice but could be dangerous if I pick-up bad habits again.

I haven't dumped of slimfast, I havent actually dumped or been sick or anything, I've even managed scrambled egg two weeks post of do you think i've be a victim of fraud and haven't actually had a bypass? lol

Clare x

ROFLMAO......

Can I have scrambled eggs after 2 weeks then? I am on blended food after 2 weeks - can I mash up some eggs and have them?

Phatgirl - I won't be having slimfast anymore - my EXTREMELY naughty 22 month old Newfoundland puppy managed to get hold of the pot off the side and devoured it while myself & hubby were out for 30 mins.....ggrrrrrr

I won't bother replacing it :rolleyes:

The third ingredient listed on the label of the ready to drink and powdered Slimfast after milk & water is sugar, that means refined sugar is one of the top three ingredients to be found in the product. Yes many of the 'sugars' listed in the detail breakdown may be milk sugars but the fact is that a main ingredient is refined sugar. That is why I was told not to use them post-op. The level in them is not high enough to make many of us dump so it probably is okay if you really like them. I am not a sensitive dumper and have had small amounts of refined sugar without a problem which if I am honest is nice but could be dangerous if I pick-up bad habits again.

These were recommended as an alternative to the fortimel drinks by the hospital to use in the first 6-8 weeks until we are eating more proteins and are tolerating mushy foods, they have exactly the same calorific values as the fortimel lol.

When i had first had my op my mouth was absolutely foul - it tasted really salty no matter what i had. So since the 3rd day home from hospital i got Gary to get me some sugar free polo's and after i ate or drank something i would take a nibble out of a polo and sit and suck and then it would go into powder. Since i have done this my mouth feels a lot fresher and i am able to cope with some tastes that don't sit very will with me and i feel a lot better with my mouth being dry etc. Hope something works for you xx

These were recommended as an alternative to the fortimel drinks by the hospital to use in the first 6-8 weeks until we are eating more proteins and are tolerating mushy foods, they have exactly the same calorific values as the fortimel lol.
I bought 3 tins for post op , as I'd read on here they were ok:DWhen I mentioned it to one of the nurses she went mad saying i'd dump as they are full of sugar:eek:Otherwise i'd have had them instead of the protein drinks which are costing me a mint lol x:D

I was told to use slimfast by the hospital too when I couldn't tolerate the Fortimel. I did read the label though and decided not to risk it in the end as I am sensitive to sugar. Mind you they did decide to give all the bypass patients icecream on ward 11 instead of sugar free jelly at one point insisting that it was Mr Khans orders. I wouldn't touch it.

Back