• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers - should I feel full up?

tpt

Uber geek
OK - today I had my 1st blended meal - a kiddies meal from Tesco - 'little dish' fish pie - I heated it, bobbed the hand blender in for a couple of goes and added a little milk to thin it out. Was expecting not to be able to eat it all - but I did!! It's a 200g serving - should I not have felt stuffed? I don't get hungry or full up sensations - although I drink so much tea I get a little 'bloated'.

I am chuffed it went down well and so far (20 mins later) feel fine.

Oh - last week I did have a skinny cow lolly that made me feel to full so had to leave some - but not this fish pie??????

What's the deal then guys?

I always find that every single day is different for me, One day I can eat more than other days, Sometimes I get full up really quick like after a few mothfulls of something, and its usually when i'm enjoying it & have to leave it lol.then other days I seem to pick every few hours.
I don't really know why this is.

I'm yet to feel full however I have little or no mouth stimulation to eat and I struggle to eat 3 portions a day, Namely I have 1 weetabix, a yogurt and 3 spoonfuls of a microwave shepherds pie which i share with my mum lol (I have a 15 week old baby who doesn't go to bed till gone 10pm!) so it's difficult to get the food in for me.

Clare x

I loved the puree/mushy stage as I could eat and not have any problems. You will start to feel more restriction when you move on to more solid stuff and as fgs everyday is different some days I am really hungry and can eat no probs and other days I have to force myself to eat as I don't feel like eating or drinking.

I'm pleased this question got raised...as I'm now on sloppy foods etc and have the same feeling about "how much" I can actually eat and in comparison to "tpt" I can only manage 1/2 of the same meal at dinner time which even that bloats me out.Just goes to show we are ALL made up in different ways...Suppose it helps keeping the food bill down and as Asda,Sainsbury,Tesco,Morrison,once said "Every Little Helps"..........

Mark

Have to say at this point I am very conscious about stretching my pouch. I am now over an hour post food and I have had to lie down flat - although I didn't get the 'full' sensation with the food, I am stuffed and my belly wants to be stretched out. I couldn't now fit another morsel in!

TPT, it sounds like you are eating too fast. That is why the delay in feeling full. Also starchy foods can and will expand in your pouch. Try eating slower and perhaps putting your spoon down between bites. Make sure your bites are small. At your stage meal should take 20 minutes, if it is still warm by the time you finish you are eating too fast. Once you get onto solid foods you should only take about 15 minutes to eat, if you linger too long once you are on solids you may be able to fit too much in during one meal. That is not so with purees.

Give it a try.
Nic:cool:

Cheers PGS - I used a teaspoon and went as slowly as I could - it was sloppy as opposed to liquid and any small lumps I chewed till I got bored.

I can knock a mug of tea down fairly quickly now - I say a mug - I get full up half way down and leave the rest as it goes cold too quickly.

Maybe I should revert to liquids again and give the mushy food a miss? Is 200g too much then?

Can I just add that the reason I wanted to get some scran down my throat is because I went back to work today - had to give in by 2.30 due to feeling completely exhausted. Now - I can't be having that at all - my body is in ketosis ahaving been on fluids so I felt it was important to get some nutrition down. I will now have to go away and think about this - carry on with the fluids for a few more weeks and continue feeling exhausted or carry on with the mush and put some energy back into my system but risk stretching my pouch. Term starts in a few weeks and I have to be fit as a fiddle for it, I also lecture in the evenings so end up doing a 50+ hour week.

Although I am still not convinved 200g is too much for one sitting, maybe I could split this over 2 meals per day? I have not had any other food at all today - just tea.

TPT i found that in the first stage of sloppies that i had a bit of a pain in between my boobs as it were! This was my signal that i had had enough. I used to stop eating when I felt this. I still cant eat more than three tablespoons of food and ive had my bypass in April.

I know its different for everyone, some days I can eat a bit more and others no! You will get used to this so no worries....Hope this helps?

Thanks Jayne - I didn't get a signal - just the empty bowl :sigh: Still - it's all trial and error - the more mistakes I make, the more I will learn.

Thanks for all your comments.

Can I just add that the reason I wanted to get some scran down my throat is because I went back to work today - had to give in by 2.30 due to feeling completely exhausted. Now - I can't be having that at all - my body is in ketosis ahaving been on fluids so I felt it was important to get some nutrition down. I will now have to go away and think about this - carry on with the fluids for a few more weeks and continue feeling exhausted or carry on with the mush and put some energy back into my system but risk stretching my pouch. Term starts in a few weeks and I have to be fit as a fiddle for it, I also lecture in the evenings so end up doing a 50+ hour week.

Although I am still not convinved 200g is too much for one sitting, maybe I could split this over 2 meals per day? I have not had any other food at all today - just tea.

I found that I was like this especially after having 6 weeks on fluids. You will feel weak especially after such a major operation and it will take time.

If your having all that tea, your not getting much else in and thats why you are probably feeling like this. I would try having sloppies in the morning like maybe a bit of yoghurt, then again at lunchtime. I started on fish pie and I also found that brains faggot with gravy was good too. You have to add the gravy and mash it or blend it well.

If your filling your pouch with tea you wont have any room for food even though its sloppies.

HTH

No, I wouldn't say go backwards, unless you are being sick. If you are tolerating mushy foods then continue on. 200g is on the larger side for your stage but nothing to be alarmed about. It is really impossible for you to eat too much right now, you would vomit if you did. Continue on the way you are and keep a food diary with notes about how much you eat, how often and what things you can eat more or less of. Then when you have your next appointment with your team, have them go over it with you. That way you make any changes they recommend. Don't sweat it, just make sure you are comfortable and follow your surgeon's guidelines - you'll be fine. We all seem to think at one point or another that we are able to manage too much, I guess we are a paranoid bunch what with our long history of food restriction!

Nic;)

Thanks Jayne - I didn't get a signal - just the empty bowl :sigh: Still - it's all trial and error - the more mistakes I make, the more I will learn.

Thanks for all your comments.

Try eating slower and like PG said if your eating to quickly it will take longer to tell you that your full.

Im sure your doing well, it is trial and error for all of us!
Your welcome :):)

No, I wouldn't say go backwards, unless you are being sick. If you are tolerating mushy foods then continue on. 200g is on the larger side for your stage but nothing to be alarmed about. It is really impossible for you to eat too much right now, you would vomit if you did. Continue on the way you are and keep a food diary with notes about how much you eat, how often and what things you can eat more or less of. Then when you have your next appointment with your team, have them go over it with you. That way you make any changes they recommend. Don't sweat it, just make sure you are comfortable and follow your surgeon's guidelines - you'll be fine. We all seem to think at one point or another that we are able to manage too much, I guess we are a paranoid bunch what with our long history of food restriction!

Nic;)

Superstar.

Thanks loads.

i personally think you need to look at what you are eating as if all you had that day apart from the fish pie (that is fairly high in the carbs ) was tea then you arnt getting enough protien in and no wonder you haventt got any energy. This may answere why you were able to eat so much as yr body needed the food to balance energy levels

I always find that every single day is different for me, One day I can eat more than other days, Sometimes I get full up really quick like after a few mothfulls of something, and its usually when i'm enjoying it & have to leave it lol.then other days I seem to pick every few hours.
I don't really know why this is.

I am exactly the same as you FGS. Some days I can eat and entire side plate of food and others, I'll take a couple of bites and feel full. It's an oddity! I don't care as long as the fat keeps coming off 1-2lb a week.. no matter how slow, as long as it just *does*!

Good point Carole, I was just addressing the volume question in my response but you are absolutely right. You cannot sustain a body on one meal per day and tea. You will feel draggy! Maybe protein supplements would be a way forward for you to help you have more energy.

Nic:p

nic should it be protien suppliments or looking at the diet. rule of thumb is the suppliments are used to top you protien intake to 80grams not replace meals is it not. getting into bad habits at this stage is not good and everyone should be looking at 3 meals a day minimum but liquid, puree and mush 6 small meals. If i remember right it all seems so long ago now

Back