• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers - should I feel full up?

I agree about getting as much balance in as possible re: protein. It is harder some days and others which is why I tend to use the protein powder to fall back on on those days when I just haven't been able to face food. But getting into bad habits is a deffo downer.

I think balance is what everyone should shoot for, and Carole you are right, I don't think it is advisable to use protein supplements instead of food. I wasn't clear about that, I meant in addition to eating not in place of eating. For the energy boost was what I was saying. Feel a bit all over the place with this post, sorry. 6 small meals during puree/mushy foods is what is recommended since your pouch is only tiny still from swelling. When you can get a bit more in at soft & solid stages then 3 meals a day is recommended.

Hope that I haven't confused anyone!

The reason I chose fish pie was for the protein - it had no mash on it. 6 meals a day is not workable or indeed feasible for me. This was my first attempt at weaning onto shlop from liquids.

I will revert back to the majority of my intake being liquids - including soups and have a half a toddler meal for my shlop intake - so that would be 100g.

Jees - I never worked this hard on a diet!:rolleyes:

Old habits die hard - never in my life ate breakfast - food 1st thing in the morning - yuck. Would grab a sarnie for lunch if I had time then gorge on carbs in the evening when finally I got home (late)

It seems I need to re-educate (re-wire) my brain. I see a pattern forming here!

i might be wrong as i have not had my bypass yet but the dietician and dr said not to drink fluids when eating as it helps wash the food through.
so i would have thought by drinking tea with a meal you would be able to eat much more before feeling full as you are washing away some of it.
some one left a link to pouch rules and(unless ive read it wrong it also stated not to drink when you eat)

it also says on my pre op not to eat and drink at the same time as it will give you a fuller feeling and get you into good habits for afterwards

i might be wrong as i have not had my bypass yet but the dietician and dr said not to drink fluids when eating as it helps wash the food through.
so i would have thought by drinking tea with a meal you would be able to eat much more before feeling full as you are washing away some of it.
some one left a link to pouch rules and(unless ive read it wrong it also stated not to drink when you eat)

it also says on my pre op not to eat and drink at the same time as it will give you a fuller feeling and get you into good habits for afterwards

No no - I drink tea all day (allbeit in smaller quantities) but not for at least an hour before and again after my meal.

I just had a whole minty skinny cow ice lolly too to round my day off :D

If you find it a struggle to eat 6 times per day (with work I can understand that) then using liquids is a viable option. I still use soups, yogurts and such when I need a simple liquid meal on the go. Just make sure your nutrition is balanced, meaning don't go heavy on simple carbs and don't forget fruit & veg and have plenty of protein. Homemade apple sauce was terrific for me when I was on purees as well as egg custards.

Nic:D

MMMMM egg custard Never made one of them but I use to love the tesco ones. Will have a go at that tomorrow is it easy to make?

Well - had a weetabix this morning and I couldn't finish it - gave up when tummy felt uncomfortable so left about 1/4 and now feel like I have eaten a big meal.

now you are on more substancial food yr body will start talking to you and let you know when you have had enough. good luck on the rest of your journey

Well - today was different! Had some Covent Garden chicken soup for lunch - had too much cream in - made me feel sick so only managed a couple of inches.

Heated up another fish pie tonight 'annabelkarmel' childs one 220g - had half of it - not getting the chest pains for full up but I stopped anyway half way through - if I am not getting the full signals there is no point pushing it till I do! This meal had 6g protein per 100g and yesterdays fish pie had 14.6g for the dish - so I figure that's enough protein right?

tpt you are doing really well and glad you are feeling more comfortable about your intake it must be really baffling, I a still pre op so can understand why you get anxious about it, everyone is so different.
Protein wise I think PG and Shell always recommend between 40-80 grams a day. I bought the whey protein powder last week from Holland and Barrett as it is half price at the moment, and this will help when I have had my op as I do worry about getting enough protein in, you will be tired if you dont have enough protein.
I got the natural, no flavour, as then I can add it to anything to bumpthe protein up if I am having trouble eating enough.
Hope this helps, but well done on your weight loss so far

Jay xx

Hi TPT Ime doing o.k but Ive been depressed the last couple of days, as Ive lost no weight in the last 2 weeks:break_diet:Ive just had the garage renevated into a gym for lil ol me! So I have been on it today tread mill, cross trainer ect, But I am wacked L.O.L I will try harder tomoz as I only did 30 mins today 10 mins on each of the elec equiptment. G.M

Hmmm..you really need to give your internal scars at least 3 months to heal before you start vigorous exercise - the X-trainers will not be good for you...not at this early stage.

I know how you feel - my loss has slowed right down and I am just 2 weeks post op - but think about it logically - at the mo, your pouch is only a little larger than a walnut. You cannot physically yet eat what you used to, so this equates to a loss. It may be like others have said that your body is taking time to adjust (like mine) and it is easy to get peeved when others are dropping weight like petals from an autumnal flower...but I truly truly believe you will start seeing a dramatic loss really soon and me too and any of the other slow starters. Just please be careful with the exercise regime - your scars may look healed on the outside but it can take months for the internal tissue to knit back together. :flirt2:

glad to hear your food issue is better today. :D
You sound like you are getting the hang of it.

Im off to H & B tomorrow for some protein stuff lol. And a sneaky try of it to even though Im on pre op lol

Back