• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling all bypassers...

Olsbols

Sliced and diced!!!
I have a question... do any of you know the kind of percentage of malabsorption we have :confused:

One person I spoke to said that her surgeon said if she eats 900 cals a day, she only takes in 300 :eek:

Is that right? Sounds a bit much to me... surely it would be 900 cals a day equates to 600 absorbed?

Thoughts...

x

Sorry Ols, i have no idea. no one really spoke to me about what would be absorbed. have you tried googling it to see if anything comes up??? hope someone can answer your question x

I will definitely be ask Shaw at my appt in a few weeks time, but I will have a Google later... ;)

Ta

x

If you do find anything out let me know as i hadn't even really thought about what i am and not absorbing!!! thanks x

hmmmm, will dig out my literature tomorrow and have a read through. Done a quick google and found the following article, not calories, but alcohol!

Alcohol and the Gastric Bypass Patient

I knew Shel would be the one to give the answers. don't know what we would do without you hun xx

Lol tammy, haven't found the answers ;) getting too tired to attack google!

Last edited:
To be honest, this is one thing I haven't thought about so curious to add a 'quickie' quote to my repertoire of "did you know ... " that I continually regale my hubby with!!

Googled but couldn't find out .. just loads of info on on malabsortion of vitamins & minerals! Sorry!

Hiya

Well after speaking to my doctor before i had the bypass. he said that i would take in roughly 50% of what i eat that includes all the goodness aswell as the cals.

But it depends on how much of the intestine they cut away. the more thats cut the less you intake and visa versa.

But on average they try to do a 50% scale

I've been told between 25% and 50% is absorbed, though i suspect as frosty pointed out it will depend on how much intestine is bypassed, the popular lenght at the moment is 100cm (1 metre) :D

But its worth remembering that as your only able to eat a small amount then your going to be absorbing a lot less than a none bypasser ! :D

Hi,

This is really interesting, and I cannot find an answer anywhere! Like the others have said, it will depend also on how much of the intestine has been bypassed. I had 1.3m bypassed and it is working for me!

Great question this one Olsbols!

Kel x

Ahem...

i got told i like 75cm

I feel like I've walked into a whole different kind of forum... :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

:giggle:

Shaw said he took a total of 2.8m from me, 1.4 from each end :)

I will definitely be quizzing him on this next week :D

x

God i have no idea how much was removed from me no one ever told me. think i need to ask more questions eh!!!

Back