• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes

chris2710

Can anyone help, I finally came clean to my mum yesterday and told her about my surgery. She didn't take it as badly as I had feared, (she's a widow now, and I am an only child, with just the one daughter (living in 400+ miles away in Scotland), so she's very reliant on me. Anyway she calmed down and even agreed that surgery was my best option, although she is nervous about me having it done. The thing that swayed her was the improvement with diabetes, but I have to be honest when she asked me how this happened I have to admit I couldn't work out how to explain this in a way that we could both understand, please can someone help or steer me towards a site/link that could explain.

Hi i was insulin dependant before i started my pre op diet, when i was on the diet i had to alter my insulin as I was on such a low fat diet my blood sugars dropped, have not lost 2 half stone and only inject once at night time, this will go in few months when i have lost abit more weight. Good luck with op xx

It works due to the reduction in food intake ... that + a few more complicated reasons but if you just tell your mum is because it will be diet controlled post op, she should be happy with that. I was insulin dependant too but now on nothing at all. Good luck, Chris & happy your mum is OK with it xxx :)

Can anyone help, I finally came clean to my mum yesterday and told her about my surgery. She didn't take it as badly as I had feared, (she's a widow now, and I am an only child, with just the one daughter (living in 400+ miles away in Scotland), so she's very reliant on me. Anyway she calmed down and even agreed that surgery was my best option, although she is nervous about me having it done. The thing that swayed her was the improvement with diabetes, but I have to be honest when she asked me how this happened I have to admit I couldn't work out how to explain this in a way that we could both understand, please can someone help or steer me towards a site/link that could explain.
Hi chris2719

I was also insulin dependent type 2 diabetic and since the OP have not needed the insulin although my Diabetic co-ordinate put me back on half dose of Metformin as a safeguard. Another one of her patients had a bypass 18 months ago and was taken of all her diabetic medicines immediately but unfortunately the type 2 has reappeared with a vengeance and she has now had to go back on to insulin. My co-ordinate suggested that I stay on the Metformin to avoid the same situation occurring to me, although she did say that there was no guarantee that this would prevent the type 2 from recurring.

Stavros

You will always be a diabetic but may be lucky and no longer need the meds!Best of luck and tell her you would be no good to her obese and ill!Maz x

the longer you have been using insulin the higher the chances that you'll need to inject after the op too ..............as in my case my pancreas cannot make as much insulin that my body requires ..............bit strange that when i was first diagnosed as a type2 diabetic more body had more insulin running round my pipework than my body was using :confused:

I wish I could find the link because I read an article that explained why diabetes goes into remission after gastric bypass and it explained that following this surgery a chemical that a diabetic no longer produces is once again produced. This in turn stimulates beta cells. This does not happen with other forms of wlsurgery. I will try and find it when I am not on my iPad and post the link.

bit strange that when i was first diagnosed as a type2 diabetic more body had more insulin running round my pipework than my body was using :confused:

This is exactly what happens with insulin resistance:

-- the obese body makes MORE and MORE insulin to try and return the body's sugar levels to normal

but

-- the layers of fat surrounding our body make it extremely difficult for that insulin to reach their intended targets (the greater amount of fat, especially tummy fat, the MORE insulin resistant a person becomes)

-- this is the actual reason many obese people end up with Type 2 diabetes, and not LACK of insulin

-- the body becomes INEFFICIENT at using up the insulin it is churning out in bucket loads

-- however the longer a person remains obese and their poor pancreas has to keep working at those levels, eventually it will deplete the person's natural lifespan of insulin supply

Drugs like Metformin and Glicliazide *assist* the body processing and making use of the insulin it is already producing.

Only in the later stages, the longer an obese person has had Type 2 Diabetes, the more the pancreas starts to wear out, then insulin may end up being prescribed, rather than just drugs which enable the body to metabolise insulin.

Here is the link to one of the articles I mentioned. Hope it helps. I found it extremely interesting and hope that the research will eventually lead to a cure for diabetes :)

- USATODAY.com

I think your link is brilliant, Josiegirl. I have now added it to my favourites.

I was going to offer this link to Chris: Have Diabetes? Find a Surgeon! | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

Altho perhaps the longer USA Today version offers slightly more technical scientific explanation.

Thanks to you both, Josie and Sharonimo,

Have saved both pages for future reference.

That's what I like about this site, there's usually someone who can provide answers and help.

Back