• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cancelled my op with The Hospital Group

Hi Cah-ching,

Just popping in to say hi 'cos although it's bypass I'm looking for a lot of what you have written applies to me-

eg.,diets tried-swap months & months & more months! of lipotrim for your Cambridge
add reductile(till it got banned last week!) & accomplia(till that got banned!)

Plus I am also very concerned about aftercare outside of NHS and still trying to get my Gp to refer me for funding to PCT - even then I'd be an exceptional case(BMI just under 50) - makes you wonder what's the point in being referred by gp for WLS in the first place!

However it's the consultations (NHS) I have had at the hospital (3 in the last 7 months) that are keeping me (almost!) sane.They are also very frustrated with GPs & PCTs - in fact at my last appointment I was urged to start up a pressure group and start lobbying my MP!!!

Or do I go away (like many others have) & eat myself to a BMI of 50+ before they raise the bar (as some PCTS have already)

Or just go private!

Good Luck

Hi Cah Ching, I'm doing fine thanks. It was a rocky start and I really thought I was losing my marbles so it was wonderful to know it was the operation failing and not all in my mind. I think it makes a difference to really like your surgeon too. I wouldn't use a company that uses advisors as they are just sales people and all on commission. I'm only interested in what the surgeon says. I'd also want to know who was doing the fills as some have hardly any training. The nurse who did my fills refused to accept there was a problem with my band.

It went very well.

I really really really like him. I actually got a better vibe from Surgicare than I did The Hospital Group.

I can't disclose more as I'm now off to HopeSprings (Minimins) house to finish helping her with her house-move.

Will fill you in later. xx

look forward to hearing all about it CC. Give my regards to Hope x

Grrrrrrrrr....... I started writing an update and bloody internet explorer crashed and restarted. Stupid flipping thing. I really hate this browser :(

Rant over!

Hi Guys n Gals,

I had my consultation with Mr. Sigursson today. I initially thought it was tomorrow (Wednesday) but something in the back of my mid told me to go check. When I did I was surprised to find it was today. lol

So how did it go?

Well Mr. Sig is much taller than I imagined and quite good looking in a older guy kinda way (not that this has anything to do with surgery lol). I mentioned I had done my background reading up on him although he was genuinely surprised by the fact he's been mentioned so much on forums and the comments I relayed back to him. He also foudn it funny and surprising that I found him on accidentally Facebook lol ... I must have sounded like a mad stalker ... especially when I told him I live around the corner from him :D (which I do). He explained why he uses Facebook lol.

He's a little quirky and a little scatterbrain ... although I guess that may have been due to the fact they were running hopelessly late - I didn't see him until about 6:30pm and there were lots of people behind me to go in with him. I felt quite bad for him as he looked a bit tired.

I compiled a series of questions that I had meant to post on here earlier today but ran out of time. Most of my questions were answered in the discussion others were answered upon my questioning him (poor bloke must be used to it and a biit bored!). He answered all my questions. I get the feeling the man could do these ops in his sleep.

I asked him about scarring and he then asked me to hop on the bed (ooeerrr) so he could feel my flesh (at which point I joked and said that he had probably been gagging to touch my flesh as soon as I got in there :D he giggles a lot and is quite funny! - not at all pretentious). So he prodded me a little and pointed out where I'd have scars, he also said that due to my concerns (as I'm a prime candidate for scarring) and the fact that (according to him) I hardly have much fat on my tummy area he'd be able to use some special technique and I was to remind him on the day of surgery.

He also explained that I would benefit on losing around 5kg's before surgery to shrink the my liver, however it wasn't overly important and he'd operate anyway - I think he thought I was in good shape - so no specified pre-op diet for me. However I will continue with my exercise regime and make a conscious decision to cut down on carbs etc. to get the ol glycogen out of my system.

Also had a chat with an advisor - she too seemed a little rushed and a little curt. Not sure I enjoyed the chat with her as much, but I didn't really care - she's not doing the op! I did express my concerns about their standard of aftercare which have been played out on these boards. I think their take is that one has to be proactive in booking appointments with dieticians. In addition I won't have my dietetic appointment until after my first fill, which will be 4 weeks after my op when i'm on solids again. (As an aside; interestingly Mr. Sigusson or Audun as he prefers me call him ;) said the key to success on the diet is to consume solid food not live on slim fast - so no more Cambridge Diet for me!). He also didn't have any concerns about fizzy drinks! I also mentioned the lack of wound care instructions etc. but again I was led to believe that they are just tiny patches and not mummifying bandages lol. That said, the girl whom i had the second chat with did say that those who complained the loudest were the ones who didn't opt for the aftercare package! (is this true?!!!) I certainly will be getting my monies worth I will try.

It was also reassuring to know that Audun ;) (Mr. Sig) is also getting a lot of referral work due to the workload at Walsall on Mr. Khan's patch. So his workload is increasing.

I'll be seeing Mr. Khan on Saturday ... it'll be interesting to compare approaches and whether Surgicare are intent on taking my money. Overall THG seemed a little pre-occupied. The consultation with the advisor (who herself had banding) seemed a little insincere which I didn't like - but as I said she's not doing the op Audun is :D and I have every faith in him.

So on Saturday I shall be seeing Mr. Khan on Saturday. i'll report back on the outcome on Sat evening.

I shall also post the list of questions I asked to help those who are not sure what they can/can't ask at consultation.

Hi People, above is the summary I gave after my consultation on Tuesday 2nd Feb 2010 @ 6pm with Mr. Sigursson. Below is my consultation with Mr. Khan.

My Consultation With Mr. Khan

OK. I'm typing this in notepad first, just in case I lose the bugger again :D I will try to remember what I wrote before the crash. Just so you know I was really 'in the zone' when I was typing and I've kind of lost my mojo to write now so if you feel I've missed out huge chunks please feel free to ask me a question!

So anyway I promised I'd write an update and here it is :)

My consultation was in Edgbaston at 10:30am yesterday morning. I managed to get the slot because there was a cancellation. The drive to Edgabston was fairly easy and I found the Surgicare offices very easy to find also, unlike trying to find Dolan Park. Dolan Park is in the middle of nowhere and due to bad signposting to and at the hospital we drove straight past the place (only figured it was Dolan Park because we saw the car park lol). Anyhoooooo the Surgicare offices are a little neglected or shall I say no where NEAR as plush as Dolan Park I mean the toilets leave a lot to be desired .... you don't feel like a private patient. I was a bit disappointed given it was:
a) in Edgbaston near other cosmetic surgery offices e.g. SK:N for instance which I go to as well; and
b) it's private care. OK the procedures aren't carried out there, but for me as a private patient image is everything if I want to spend my 'hard-earned' with them.

Anyway .... I got there bang on time so I was sat down in the waiting room for about 1 millisecond before my name was called. A very nice petite glamorous looking lady came up to me and introduced herself as Jan - she said she'd be looking after me today since Barbara, the lady I had been dealing with over the phone was off sick. She showed me to Mr. Khan's consultation room and I was introduced to him at which point I shook hands and handed over my questionnaire. Jan at which point left the room - was offered a cup of something, but I declined as I was nil-by-mouth should I decide to go for the op they wanted to take my bloods.

Mr. Khan is a small man, much smaller than I thought he'd be in fact about the size I thought Mr. Sigursson would be lol. He too lives in the same town as myself and Mr. Sigursson :D

After a little confusion, which isn't really important enough to detail in prose, I sat with Mr. Khan; he asked me what brought me to him? I mentioned that I had been doing a lot of research and talk to a few of his patients who received by-passes in his care and how impressed I was with their results, but more so how impressed I was with their endorsements of HIM as a surgeon.

Later he asked what my thoughts were and why I wanted to go for surgery and why banding over bypass etc. I explained that I didn't want to be "re-wired" (he liked my terminology) and that I had heard and read that the results for by-pass and band were the same in the long-term. I also voiced concerns about malabsorption; my subsequent life-long reliance on taking multivitamin & mineral supplements to compensate the malabsorptive issues associated with by-pass. He actually said that it was 'rubbish' and that I wouldn't need multi-vits etc. I should stress that at this point he wasn't rude or aggressive to me. I also mentioned the risk of weight-gain post by-pass op; again this was kindly dismissed. He talked me through the banding process and then sat back while I pounded him with questions. Once again as with Mr. Sigursson he answered a lot of my questions in his speak thus negating the need for me to ask them, in addition some of the questions were generic and had already been answered by Mr. Sigursson. There were a few questions I asked to draw comparison between his and Mr. Sigursson's responses and sure enough responses were different ... which perplexed me. The ones that stick in my mind as being answered differently:

1. Can I fly long distance? What precautions must I take?
2. Where will my scars be?
3. Failure rates?

WHen I asked about baggy skin, he too (like Mr. Sigursson) mentioned how young I was and that with exercise I should be ok. Additionally he and Mr. Sigursson sang from the same hymnsheet regarding fizzy drinks and chewing gum - yes I can have them, but you'll be hungry / gassy!

In terms of the flying - not a problem, yes I can eat on the craft, no need for my band to be deflated - contrary to Mr. Sigursson. He like Mr. Sugursson, showed me where my scars would be; this time I stood up (towering over him in my 4 inch spikes) and he drew on my lovely clean Chanel fragranced belly. The scars were in slightly different places to Mr. Sig's. When I asked him whether he'd be able to go through my belly button (thinking about what Mr. Sigursson said) he said no, it's too far down! That troubled me, but then I thought; Mr. Sigursson teaches this too and surely there is more than one way to skin a cat? Everyone will have their own technique. Line up 10 surgeons in a row, ask them about their bariatric technique and I reckon all would do it slightly differently. So I reconciled my panic. lol.

He asked whether I liked sweet things - I mentioned that I did, but I was more of a savoury person and I only got sweet cravings before my menstruation. He then asked "if I were to lay out a load of sweets in front of you, could you ignore them" I said "yes, easily" as I'm not a huge chocolate/sweetie fan.

After what only felt like 20 minutes I went to see Jan who was much nicer and less pushy than Sally at The Hospital Group. Sally from THG didn't really talk that much, was more interested in shoving documents under my nose for me to sign - I'm not even sure what I signed :(. I guess because they kept to their allotted times Surgicare weren't rushing and behind like THG were on Tuesday night. She mentioned that they were the only people offering 2 year aftercare with unlimited band adjustments (of course I set her straight on that). The procedure would take place at Droitwich Spa Hospital (which is the hospital I'd need to go to get my fills and x-rays with THG anyway) Something I did like was; had I have given them my deposit, I would have seen the nurse & dietician there and then - the nurse would take my bloods (hence the nil by mouth) which would include testing for sickle cell [I'll explain why I pointedly mentioned this] and discussion with the dietician about the pre-op diet, which was not touched upon at all during consultation (even though I asked).

When I went for my consultation on Tuesday with THG (The Hospital Group) I was told that I'd need to go to my doctor and ask for a sickle-cell test as they won't touch me without it (which is good). However I was a little bemused at having to go to the NHS, faff for a blood test when I thought they'd be doing all that given the cost. So Surgicare was better in that regard.

In addition, Mr. Khan said, although aftercare is 2 years with Surgicare, I wouldn't ever stop being his patient and that if anything were to go wrong he'd have me come up to his NHS office and discuss things and take a look at me, since I'm not far from there. I thought this was a nice reassuring touch.

So Mr. Khan seemed more with it, calmer and not at all scatty. I remember telling him what meds I was on and he knew straight away what they were for and gave me some pointers. He also mentioned that they'd take to a pharmacist and see about getting my meds in liquid form while I recovered. Didn't get this from THG.

Mr. Sigursson seemed a little rushed and scatty (I didn't mention what happened with the scales!!). I like them both ...... I've already paid my deposit with THG.

However I'm scared having read all the negative stuff I've seen about the band as opposed to the by-pass. This is my last resort and I really want to lose weight - I am at the end of my tether with being fat - at the end of the precipice. I NEED to lose weight; regain my confidence, self-worth and self-esteem and fitness. I can't afford to waste money nor waste time.

I was uber confident before, now I'm stressed and worried about the decision. I don't want to waste money on a band when I could have afforded the by-pass. If I go for the band I can't afford the by-pass further down the line. If money were no object .... I'd go with the band and see how I got on with that first.

Anyway if there are any gaps in this, please ask me to fill in. I hope it was informative.

Ciao

Brilliant informative post CC.

Well I have cancelled my op with The Hospital Group. I've heard too much bad stuff about the aftercare. I really liked Mr. SIgursson and had/have every faith in his ability ... but I don't have any faith in the company he was representing nor the way they treated me ... during the consultation and when I wanted to cancel.

As some of you know, I've been toying between by-pass and band. Scared of the lack of success with the band etc.

Anyway Mr. Khan called me late last night when he got home to give me another mini-consultation (bless him). He reassured me and said if I have any more questions I could just call him (I have his number now :D). May be we have an affinity because we both live in the same area.

So I'm 90% band and 10% by-pass ..... like most people I veer between the two, but at least I know I'm considering all the options and not just running into things without thinking it through.

Hiya

Phew its a minefield, trying to find a good surgeon and good aftercare isnt it.

I had my band fitted with the WLS Group, the reason for this is that I had seen their MD Michelle on a programme about people who had lost shed loads of weight either from WLS or 'normal' methods. Michelle had lost a lot of her weight with the band (10 stone) but with a few stone still to lose (and working for a provider) kept her band but had a bypass (not a RNY though) and lost the rest of her weight.

To me she seemed down to earth and as she had gone through the surgery herself seemed in a good position to advise. I researched the company and the surgeons they use. They have clinics throughout the UK, including Birmingham but do not do the ops there.

I travelled to Preston for mine, tbh because I saved myself nearly £1,000 in doing so. Their current package comes with 3 years aftercare, unlimited fills and defills. Their Clinical Director - Wendy Stubbs who also performs band adjustments is a bit of a legend both for WLS Group patients and for patients who go to them for their aftercare. You can go to a clinic just to get weighed or if booked in, for a band adjustment as and when. Colleen is their nutritionist and the aftercare recieved from her is invaluable.

I had 6 1/2 stone to lose and was never in any doubt that the band was the right thing for me. Im really pleased with my results so far and the care I have recieved from my provider.

Good luck with making your decision. I think you have made the right choice re THG if you dont feel comfortable you will get the right aftercare, its such an important part of the journey.

Maz x

Their Clinical Director - Wendy Stubbs who also performs band adjustments is a bit of a legend both for WLS Group patients and for patients who go to them for their aftercare. right thing for me. Im really pleased with my results so far and the care I have recieved from my provider.

I'm sorry but my experience with them was very different. I am sure there are happy people with every company but I found they talked a lot but couldn't deliver. Perhaps I was unlucky. I thanks my lucky stars for the team at Chichester.

I'm sorry but my experience with them was very different. I am sure there are happy people with every company but I found they talked a lot but couldn't deliver. Perhaps I was unlucky. I thanks my lucky stars for the team at Chichester.

I cant comment on your experience with them was it was regarding your revision surgery?

I was commenting as a patient of theirs and with my experience of the aftercare. Im not sure of your circumstances re revision surgery and even if WLS Group perform such ops ? but as a first time (and hopefully only time) bander they certainly did deliver for me and many others on here.

The aftercare is a very important factor in which company to use.

I cant comment on your experience with them was it was regarding your revision surgery?

I was commenting as a patient of theirs and with my experience of the aftercare. Im not sure of your circumstances re revision surgery and even if WLS Group perform such ops ? but as a first time (and hopefully only time) bander they certainly did deliver for me and many others on here.

The aftercare is a very important factor in which company to use.

They organised the original operation.

Hiya
I think you were very wise to cancel with thg. I had Mr Sig, and he was great, I am glad that he did my op and I felt he was, for me the best choice.....BUT thg and specifically Sally, who is nothing more than a used car salesman, with as much charisma as a used car salesman, up until you've paid.. and then treats you like dog crap after...should be steered clear of. I wrote direct to her and made a complaint about my care, and it was never responded to to this day. They try to cram too many people in for consultations and for surgery, they work Mr Sig like cheap child labour. You are wise to steer clear, although Mr Sig is a brilliant surgeon who works for a sh*t company.
MNL:mad:

I had my op with THG and so far so good regarding the after care. I have had about 3 conversations with the nurse since(she rang me to make sure all ok) and Lisa the patient co-ordinator. I can't really fault them at the moment however I have brought it to their attention that their reputation isn't the greatest regarding after care.
I'll keep you posted as to how I get on with THG Cah-ching and hopefully they will suprise me! x

Hiya
I think you were very wise to cancel with thg. I had Mr Sig, and he was great, I am glad that he did my op and I felt he was, for me the best choice.....BUT thg and specifically Sally, who is nothing more than a used car salesman, with as much charisma as a used car salesman, up until you've paid.. and then treats you like dog crap after...should be steered clear of. I wrote direct to her and made a complaint about my care, and it was never responded to to this day. They try to cram too many people in for consultations and for surgery, they work Mr Sig like cheap child labour. You are wise to steer clear, although Mr Sig is a brilliant surgeon who works for a sh*t company.
MNL:mad:

I actually love Mr. Sigursson and felt so sorry for him. He looked harrassed and tired; even though he had the patients of a saint with me. I wish I could have had him (although I'm happy with Mr. Khan too) because he was great and I got on well with him. It was Sally whom I had a problem with and whom I thought was totally rude to me and was only interested in me signing papers rather than giving me more information on patient aftercare and talking me through the stages e.g. pre-op etc. Basically because they had my £500 deposit she was only interested in me signing up and getting the operation done. Mr. Sigursson deserves better than that. She was particularly rude to me when I asked for my deposit back ... refused to give me adequate informaiton on refund procedure and told me to go read the terms and conditions ..... I too pointed out to Sally that their aftercare had received a bad rep on internet forums and she was very dismissive and suggested that people were spreading lies. Well expecting me to get my own blood test done and her attitude towards me at the consultation put me off her and thus mademy decision to change company. I just wish I could've took Mr. Sigursson with me. :)

For those interested; this is the letter I wrote to cancel my op:

Dear Sir or Madam,

This email is written to confirm the conversation I had with Ms. Sally Price today (Monday 8th February) where I expressed my wish to cancel my gastric band procedure with The Hospital Group.

In compliance with The Hospital Group's Terms & Conditions Section 5 RESCHEDULING/CANCELLATIONS, specifically Section 5.2, whereby;

5.2.Cancellations of normal bookings – we recommend that you
consider all aspects of your procedure for at least 7 days after your
consultation with your surgeon. For up to 7 days following your preoperative
consultation, should you wish to cancel your procedure, the
deposit and any monies paid are fully refundable, with the proviso that
the Company has been noti
fi ed by recorded or guaranteed post to
Scheduling Department, The Hospital Group, Stoney Lane, Bromsgrove, Worcs, B60 1LY; or by email to [email protected].

Following my consultation with surgeon Mr. Sigursson on Tuesday 2nd February; I now wish to cancel my booked operation and would expect to receive a full refund of £550 this covers 'any monies paid' as per your Terms and Conditions.

Should you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact me by reply to this email and/or by phone: xxxxxxxxxxx.

In addition I will send a copy of this email by recorded post.

Kind Regards,

xxxxx

Not a very well written letter but I was in a rush. :eek:

When I had my surgery booked with Mr Sig, I assumed that as it was private etc, that he would have about three surgeries to do and that we would all be done by lunch, boy I could have not been more wrong. He had had 8 surgeries scheduled that day, I was 7th on the list, and want to guess what time I went down for my band??? just before 7pm. THe next morning I was discharged around 7am, no instructions on wound care, no follow up calls to see how I was. Yes I had the cheap and cheefull (although not so cheerfull), but I felt that they just took my money and didnt care after that. Mr Sig was lovely the whole way through, but his workload is probably worst than a NHS surgeons, at least they have limits on how many they operate on in a day, and no way would they being doing surgery at that time of night.....I feel sorry for him in a way, although I am sure he makes a shed load of money (I am almost sure he has an Aston Martin and they are not cheap)...anyway good luck with what ever you decide and hope it goes well.
MNL:)

Back