• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chewing gum and nil by mouth

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
...asked the patient care lady from Healthier Weight if it was ok to chew gum pre surgery (when u r in nil by mouth stage) and she said it was fine....but i like to check everything by u guys!! u seem more experienced :p:D

also op is at 2.30 been told to go nil by mouth from 8.30am but im worried this is too late??

...asked the patient care lady from Healthier Weight if it was ok to chew gum pre surgery (when u r in nil by mouth stage) and she said it was fine....but i like to check everything by u guys!! u seem more experienced :p:D

also op is at 2.30 been told to go nil by mouth from 8.30am but im worried this is too late??

I'm not a bander, but chewing gum while waiting for surgery...really couldn't speculate on that, I wasn't allowed anything...perhaps others may have a better idea? It sounds right to me re. nil by mouth from 8.30 am for afternoon surgery though, I was given the same instructions from my hospital

My op was schedule for around 1 and I was told no food after 7am but could have water up to around 10.30. Don't see that there would be a problem with chewing gum - as long as you don't swallow it, lol!

I was told no gum, something too do with gases in your tummy, and the fact that chewing gum making me more hungrier then I would have been . xxx

I don't know about gum but had to say...my surgery didn't happen untill 5.15pm and I arrived in the morning. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thirsty, I had cactus growing on my tongue!

mixed response there ... hmm...im constantly thirsty (being borderline diabetic) and gum does make my mouth more 'watery' so i think i will just go with it and hope the gases behave.

oh right....so its not too late to have brekky at 8am. What was ur last brekky?

and thanks for responses...it doesnt matter what surgery u had its all pre op!! just the WLS FAQ bit was a bit quiet so i posted here. thanks for responses.

Miss hungry u make me lol!!

Hi MB.

8am is fine for your breakfast as long as its a light one. I had a slimfast. If you have been following your pre-op you should be in ketosis and not feeling hungry anyway.

Gum will make you more hungry, use a fresh breath spray. You get them from Boots or tesco for a few quid and they are great.

If you are not in ketosis, then have a breakfast high in protein to stave off the hunger, such as 2 egg omelette, or small tuna salad.

i usually have weetabix...but will have a slim fast that day so it goes through quicker then sitting in stomach.

im a gum addict so will prob go with that...but thanks about the mouth spray.

im getting excited but am still hungry!!

Back