• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chippy - good or a bad thing??

everpositive

Hi fellas,

I'm not sure whether to feel happy or scared at whats happened this evening?? SO thought I'd seek solace and advice from you wonderful lot.

So heres the thing. I had my 'healthy options' lunch very early today because I had a business appointment at 12.30. Come 4pm I was hungry. I drove past a chippy which prior to my bypass took a lot of money from me over the years. I havent been near it since xmas. I have tried a few chips in recent weeks and they havent agreed with me at all, usually ending up in bad pain and puking. Anyway, the old temptation devil was shouting loudly in my ear to give it another go, reminding how delightful the chips and curry are in this place. So yeah, you guessed it I went in, purchased my small portion of chips and curry. Went home, unwrapped them, sat down and ate them. I ate very, very slowly and chewed them as long as a damn cow chews grass, left lots of decent pauses in between bites and surprisingly managed to have just under half.

At first I felt really happy, no delighted that I'd managed a 'treat' type food and that it hadnt come back up again. Whilst I'm thrilled with my 4.5 stone weight loss in under 3 months, I do feel that eating for me now, is more about what I can cope with, rather than what I like. After the joy faded, I now feel a bit scared because this is the first glimpse of me engaging in something that was part of my old, unhealthy, out of control life. I know that occasional treats are allowed and everything in moderation blah blah but now that I've managed it, I know its a do'able thing.

Theres time yet for me to dump so I may feel differently before the end of the evening?!? :):(

Claire,

I've been out for meals and last week had a spicy singapore chow mein from my local chinese take-away. It ended up doing me for 2/3 meals but it was lovely. I didn't dump from it at all. As far as bad habits are concerned, i wouldn't worry too much, if you completely stop urself having something, then the craving will always be there. Just know that you can have it now and again. For me I craved chippy cos it took something like fish, chips, peas, gravy and 2 slices of bread to fill me up. Now, so many things quite easily fill me up, its not such a big thing for me. Thats not to say i won't still fancy it now and again, and if i do...i'll be having it!!

If you fancy something have a bit of it. We just have to make sure we dont eat the wrong things everyday. Call it a treat some will have chocolate and some biscuits You fancied chippy chips and curry sauce YUMMY

Hi fellas,

I'm not sure whether to feel happy or scared at whats happened this evening?? SO thought I'd seek solace and advice from you wonderful lot.

So heres the thing. I had my 'healthy options' lunch very early today because I had a business appointment at 12.30. Come 4pm I was hungry. I drove past a chippy which prior to my bypass took a lot of money from me over the years. I havent been near it since xmas. I have tried a few chips in recent weeks and they havent agreed with me at all, usually ending up in bad pain and puking. Anyway, the old temptation devil was shouting loudly in my ear to give it another go, reminding how delightful the chips and curry are in this place. So yeah, you guessed it I went in, purchased my small portion of chips and curry. Went home, unwrapped them, sat down and ate them. I ate very, very slowly and chewed them as long as a damn cow chews grass, left lots of decent pauses in between bites and surprisingly managed to have just under half.

At first I felt really happy, no delighted that I'd managed a 'treat' type food and that it hadnt come back up again. Whilst I'm thrilled with my 4.5 stone weight loss in under 3 months, I do feel that eating for me now, is more about what I can cope with, rather than what I like. After the joy faded, I now feel a bit scared because this is the first glimpse of me engaging in something that was part of my old, unhealthy, out of control life. I know that occasional treats are allowed and everything in moderation blah blah but now that I've managed it, I know its a do'able thing.

Theres time yet for me to dump so I may feel differently before the end of the evening?!? :):(

Claire,
You said it was a SMALL portion and you ate JUST UNDER HALF. Well done, you! How wonderful it must be to have something you really want without absolutely pigging out. It's only natural that you should give into temptation from time to time. Well done on your fantastic weight loss. xx

Hey don't deny yourself anything, or feel guilty, you've probably been doing that for most of your life pre op! If you fancy it have it, there aint no way on this earth your ever gona be able to eat like you used to, so your eating aint gona get out of control. You probably have'nt noticed, but your attitude towards food has changed and you wont be too greedy with the chips etc, cuz your body wont let ya & even if you dont think so your subconcious will kick in.

I sometimes think that we weight loss girls and guys sometimes get wrapped up in the small details.

What you ate tonight, as long as it doesn't happen every night or even maybe every week is not going to harm your weightloss in the wider picture.

You have to let yourself enjoy life after this surgery. Let go of the guilt that surrounds food issues. You did what any normal person does, had a "little" of what you fancy. You have to - it keeps you sane.

Remember this is not a diet, there is no such thing any more, just sensible healthy eating which yes can allow for the odd treat.

You enjoyed them, you didn't over do it and you know that you cannot do this every day and won't.

You are doing fantastic, just learn to relax a little...;):)

im a bander, i share a spam fritter with my 8 yr old son once a month, we half it. moderation is they key with these food types, you havent done any thing wrong, wls has taught me to have those treats if fancied in moderation, b4 my wls i would have ordered a spam fritter, a large chips, and ate 4 slices of bread with that and left absolutley "nothing", now a half a fritter and maybe 6-8 chips and im full, i used to find it hard throwing left over food away, but now i can and dont feel guilty or get distressed by doing that.

liz x

Hey, half of a small portion?? Don't beat yourself up over it Claire. If you really enjoyed it and did'nt over eat (as it was before op) then don't feel guilty. You are entitled to eat a bit of what you fancy. Enjoying food does'nt have to stop now you've had your op, you just don't have as much. Take care xx Gaynor xx

Claire, you may find that you get the after effects from that kind of meal later. You won't dump immediately, as that kind of dumping is caused by sugar. Fat dumping tends to take longer to kick in and mostly affects your bowels. Not everyone dumps on fat, I can tolerate quite a high amount with no problems.

It's not a problem to have an occasional treat, the problems only start when it becomes the norm.

Claire remember we are not on a 'diet' in the sense where we used to have to deny ourselves certain foods, now the pounch reminds us if we are eating too much or the wrong types of foods. sometimes our bodies even crave the sort we are meant to be denying it, so there is nothing wrong with you eating a small portion of chips and curry sauce if your pouch can cope with it. You know you need to limit the number of times you have them, and i suspect if you had them too often your pouch would soon inform you in some way that is not pleasant....

So relax and feel content with your achievements so far

Back