• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Claire bob

Claire bob

Hi everyone, I had my open gastric bypass surgery at Walsall Manor Hopsital on 13th May. I would advise everyone to think carefully about how strong you are mentally and whether this is what you really want. I spent 11 weeks in hospital after my operation and am now thankfully tube free after having three operations, seven drains a feeding tube and a tracheostomy. I don't regret having the origional op and this rarely happens but make sure you are aware that in a very small number of cases things can go wrong. However I am returning to health (almost four stone lighter) and will be returning to work in a few weeks. My bypass is also functioning well. I went through hell but I am happy to be alive and enjoy life much more now than when I started.

Hi Claire. I am so sorry to hear of your terrible experience. It sounds as if you have really been through hell and back.
I am so pleased to hear that you are recovering at last. Sending hugs and very best wishes that you are back to normal as soon as possible :)

Oh god Claire I'm so glad you're ok now!! Yes we all know that this happens sometimes but we all just hope it's not us lol unfortunately for you it was :( glad your ok and losing weight, four stone? Wow! Good going girl, gonna look sexy at Christmas ;) good luck xxx

oh wow glad you are feeling better babe x
do you mind me asking what went wrong?
anyhow its time to enjoy a new you xx

Sorry to hear you had a rough time hun, and hope your better soon. Why did you have open surgery? x

glad you are on the mend, thanks for highlighting some issues that people need to make a clear,concise and informed decision about surgery xx

Sorry that things went wrong :(
But glad that you are now on the road to a better life :D

Please let us know what happened warts and all so that others can see that this is not an easy option and that things can and do go wrong.

thank you all for your kind words. Ok here are the gory details. Basically what went wrong was that op seemed to have gone ok then developed chest infection about 24 hrs later this rapidly became pneumonia in both lungs and left lung partially collapsed. Week later while still in hospital tried to get out of bed and felt internal ripping sensation and pain. Was seen by Miss heitmann and Mr. Mirza and both agreed that needed to open me up and have a look but by this point condition was detiriorating and nearly died in pre-op. Both mr Mirza and Miss heitmann carried out second operation later that night but vital signs bad especially due to pneumonia and when came round was totally delerious. They created controlled fistula in stomach, put in lots of drains, a jejenostomy tube for feed, a main line in my jugular vein with lots of ports for medication and an arterial line so they could take blood to check oxygen levels every 15 mins. they put me in induced coma and pumped me full of more drugs than they would ordinarily give and said there was nothing more they could do, was up to my body now to try to repair. Kept me in a coma for a week. When came round full of tubes and not really aware what was going on was still on ventilator even though awake as lungs so bad. tried allsorts to wean me off it but couldn't so in end had to have trachae. Sounds awful and has left me with very scarred neck but was actually turning point in recovery an after 3.5 weeks in intesive care moved to HDU. After another 3 weeks learned how to breathe without support and had some drains out. then moved to surgical ward for remainder of hospital stay to make me ready for home. Took many weeks as all my muscles had wasted and couldn't even sit in chair let alone stand. Very slowly recovered and had final drain and jej feed out on Friday. Yipee. Can now walk further contemplating going back to tap dancing lessons soon. There is light a the end of the tunnel. Only trouble is all the trauma has turned my poor husband grey!!!

Advice I would give anyone who is going to have any op under general anasthetic is make sure you get up and move around as soon as you are able. I couldn't because so ill and so lungs couldn't clear fluid build up, this is why had such terrible pneumonia, much better to try to get up and walk. Just in case I've put anyone off the op I will say that the two other people who had their ops on the same day were perfectly ok and went home 3 days later!

Claire bob said:
Advice I would give anyone who is going to have any op under general anasthetic is make sure you get up and move around as soon as you are able. I couldn't because so ill and so lungs couldn't clear fluid build up, this is why had such terrible pneumonia, much better to try to get up and walk. Just in case I've put anyone off the op I will say that the two other people who had their ops on the same day were perfectly ok and went home 3 days later!

Thank you Claire, much appreciated, so pleased you're ok now, good luck with the tap dancing :) xxx

Caren said:
Thank you Claire, much appreciated, so pleased you're ok now, good luck with the tap dancing :) xxx

Blimey, thought I'd written lap dancing for a minute lmao!!!

Gosh Claire what a traumatic time you have had ... :(:( so glad things are getting back to normal (your new normal) but what a baptism by fire :wave_cry:
I don't think anyone goes into this op lightly & we have all read of some peoples really bad experiences, but we have to trust in our surgeon like we would for any operation, & keep our fingers tightly crossed. There is so much info on here that we all very well informed by the time we arrive for our op but you have proved that things can & do go wrong :(. Good luck with all your new & old hobbies & suggest Grecian 2000 for your hubby, bless xx :D:D

Ah, bless you Claire. What a terrible trauma you've had. I hope you continue to recover well and that the rest of your wl journey goes smoothly xx

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this, as I'm sure it's still raw for you. As a pre-opper, I am keen to hear ALL sides of the story and I appreciate your honesty, as well as the fact that you aren't telling anyone not to go through with it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and I look forward to watching you on Strictly......

Back