• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello & my bypass story so far....

Shiraz

Hi all I joined the forum last year while waiting for my gastric bypass but due to some sort of problem wasn't able to post & have only just got round to getting it sorted! First of all I want to say what an amazing place this is. I have found out a wealth of info from coming on here & reading about all your experiences. You are wonderful people & so supportive of each other, I've been lurking so long I feel like I know some of you lol. Hope you don't mind me joining in.
I had a gastric bypass on Nov 29th 2012 & it has been a bit of a bumpy ride so far. All went well with the op apart from it taking almost 6 hours and I was recovering well until my mum died suddenly & unexpectedly just a few days before Christmas. My mum was taken to hospital & on the 17th Dec & on the 18th they rang & asked me to go in and I was told she had terminal cancer and we may only have her until Christmas. She died an hour later. I miss her so much & I'm still struggling to accept that I can't phone her for a chat as we were so close.
At around the same time I started vomiting after eating anything even soup and put it down to the upset and stress of losing my mum so suddenly. Things got worse until I couldn't even keep water or my own saliva down & I was admitted to hospital for 2 weeks. I had a severe stricture that had completely closed up and had to be treated for dehydration and malnutrition. I had several procedures including dilatations in hospital and I am now on a feeding tube at home but getting better & stronger every day. I am having another dilatation tomorrow (lovely thing to do on Valentines Day lol) which should improve things as I am still only managing soup independently.
Despite all of this though I know I will get there and I am determined to make a success of this. My mum had been so worried about my weight and she was so pleased that I'd had the op and although it makes me sad she won't see the results I feel as though I have to get well & carry on with my weight loss for her.
Sorry for the long post & I look forward to being a part of this fantastic community, you all inspire me so much x

Awww, firstly i'd like to say how sorry i am to hear about ur mum....secondly....welcome :)

You will find all the support u need on here as we are going through this journey together so never think of urself as alone :-D

Hope things start to get better for u x

So sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it of late :( Welcome to the site anyway and I hope things improve for you and the Valentine's dilatation went ok yesterday. Take care x x

So sorry to hear about your mum I can't imagine what you must be going through...

Welcome to the site and I hope your soon feeling better and off that feeding tube that must be awful

How much weight have you lost so far? X

Thanks everyone :) The support on here is amazing.
The dilatation went ok but the camera showed I had narrowed up considerably again and as that was my 4th one they are starting to think my body will just carry on doing it so they may need to discuss a more long term plan......my team just aren't sure at the moment. Vomited again last night :(
KirstyJade - I have lost 4 stone 6 lbs but I had lost 4 stone by the beginning of Jan partly due to vomiting & dehydration. They don't want me losing weight right now until it gets sorted. Spoilsports lol !!
Have a great Saturday everyone :)

What an awful time you have had of it. I lost my mum 4 years ago and still miss her every day so can't imagine how hard it must be to be going through two life changing events at the same time.

Hope they get the problems sorted very soon x

Thank you Paddy. It does feel very overwhelming at times especially when my mum is the very person I want to turn to but I have good support from hubby & friends & of course you guys on here :)
Sorry to hear you lost your mum too, so many people have told me that you never get over it you just learn to live with it.
Take care x

No you never get over it as such but hard as it is to believe life does get easier and whilst I miss my mum every day and wish more than anything that she was here to guide me during this time I am able to think about how she would have been proud to see me sorting things out now and I just know what she would say so it's like she's still with me at times.
xx

One thing I'm grateful for is that my mum knew I'd had my gastric bypass and she was so pleased about it and so supportive leading up to it. I am trying to think of these complications as just a blip on the route to becoming the happier & healthier person she wanted me to be. Your mum will be proud of you Paddy & I know what you mean about knowing what she would say about things.....that keeps me strong & makes me smile at times.
Thanks again xx :)

Back